The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,501 of 2,198
Magni-Driver-right[48632].jpg
Kennerton Magni v3 in palisander wood

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #1,503 of 2,198
I just installed those on a philips uptown housing. You are propably familiar with it's design. Angled baffle, no vents on the cups and four openings on the baffle. No dampening materials inside. I used stock pads.

It's not bad. I wish the midbass bump would extend lower, now it sounds too detached from the subbass. Decent clarity in the mids, no shoutines or anything off putting. That 4-6khz area is not that bad as minidsp ears tend to do weird things in that region. Highs don't hurt my ears, it looks worse on the measurement than it is imo. Of course it is out of place and draws to much attention to itself. Good thing is that I'd say it is rather grain free treble. If it were splashy grainy ringing mess it would be more of a problem. For this kind of sound these drivers sound good. Personally I would cut the midbass and highs about 5db.

That channel imbalance in bass can be explained in many ways.
1) I did not glue the drivers so that might cause some weird stuff
2) Volume control on philips is known to cause channel imbalance
3) I suck at placing headphones on the measuring rig
4) There is something wrong with my mini dps as I have seen very similar bass drop on some other headphones I've measurement.

Overall I'm surprised how well the channels are matched.

Mycelium drivers on Philips uptown.jpg

Btw there is a company called bloody that uses those same drivers. They make mostly gaming stuff but one of their headphones looks like takstar pro82. https://www.bloody.com/en/product.php?pid=10&id=178

Edit: on further listening I got used to the treble surprisingly fast. That is kind of strange as I usually never get past that. Not with any Beyers or Fostex th900. Imaging on these is quite good and soundstage size both in debth and width is beyond average of closed headphones that are about same size(ath-m50 etc). Bad news is that with some music there is this hollownes in the upper mids region. Could be an easy fix.

Overall I like these enough to try these in some another shell. If I recall correctly Philips has quite similar tonality so it might be worthwile to check how much the sound changes with another shell.

Funny company that bloody. I heard them before when they introduced optical keyboard switches. How's the detail of the drivers? Also what happened to the company and the state of Illinois?
Capture.PNG

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #1,504 of 2,198
Funny company that bloody. I heard them before when they introduced optical keyboard switches. How's the detail of the drivers? Also what happened to the company and the state of Illinois?

Sounds like someone could make a lot of money smuggling Bloody gaming headphones across the state borders into Illinois haha

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #1,505 of 2,198
Has any of you guys ever tried these drivers?

They look promising, and they’re not just run of the mill biofiber design. It’s a PEEK diaphragm base (vs mylar), with carbon fiber (vs bio cellulose) matrix.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msy5ykj

BBE68697-2943-45C7-B448-553CF9F854F7.png

Those are the meizu hd50 drivers, ive bought a pair for under 5$ about a year ago.

1598870814803.png

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #1,507 of 2,198
Those are the meizu hd50 drivers, ive bought a pair for under 5$ about a year ago.

1598870814803.png

I have a few pairs of HD50, and I have never seen them referred to by Meizu as carbon, carbon fiber, etc. Just biofiber.

Are you sure they’re the exact same driver?

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,508 of 2,198
I have a few pairs of HD50, and I have never seen them referred to by Meizu as carbon, carbon fiber, etc. Just biofiber.

Are you sure they’re the exact same driver?

Yea, i remember some Russian dude on Ali comments putting them side by side with his HD50 drivers. Maybe it's another revision? too bad Ali always deletes reviews for some weird reason.

Looks aside, we cant really know those are the exact same. Maybe Meizu requested a different tuning from the manufacturer.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #1,510 of 2,198
I don't know, i only bought them because they were dirt cheap :smile: I spoke with someone who built headphones with them inside and he said those are not really high level stuff, they are pleasant sounding,but not really detailed.

Yeah, that’s how I would describe the HD50, so it sounds like they are the same driver :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,511 of 2,198
Thanks. Also how did you fix the link? I do not know much about planar drivers but to make the planar driver sound as open as possible is it stupid to strip off the black casing off the actual driver itself? Picture below shows what I mean by how I described the stripping
i dont think that is a wise idea, those help keep the diaphragm taught, and stable. Plus reducing the clearance from the diaphragm to the magnets might cause serious problems.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,512 of 2,198
That Alibaba link does not work for me. However I wanted to comment that Audeze lcd-1 having 90mm drivers. It's all marketing bs. When Audeze says the driver is 90mm they count the whole diaphgram hidden inside not just the active area.

In reality it's more like 40mm x 50mm. Here it is with Audeze Sine. IMG_20200808_152829.jpgIMG_20200808_153301.jpg
Well, the entire driver is the whole thing. Yes there isnt the full 90mm that is for the sound aperture, but nonetheless the driver itself is 90mm. Misleading just depends on how you look at it. With a dynamic driver it isnt much of a issue, the whole front of the driver is usually the sound aperture. Planars require bracing, so the whole diaphragm is bigger for the mounting. The lcd-1 driver lol is still a giant driver. I do see your point, but I dont think they’re trying to be deceptive, they just measured the whole driver.
Now marketing babble is plastering(like in the lcd-i3) that it can blast out 130db. Who in the hell except someone stone cold deaf needs 130db at the eardrum(Audeze’s reference point) that’s 30db less than 20in 12ga 00. Impressive yes, but literally no one I can think of will dial headphones up that loud.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,513 of 2,198
Well, the entire driver is the whole thing. Yes there isnt the full 90mm that is for the sound aperture, but nonetheless the driver itself is 90mm. Misleading just depends on how you look at it. With a dynamic driver it isnt much of a issue, the whole front of the driver is usually the sound aperture. Planars require bracing, so the whole diaphragm is bigger for the mounting. The lcd-1 driver lol is still a giant driver. I do see your point, but I dont think they’re trying to be deceptive, they just measured the whole driver.
Now marketing babble is plastering(like in the lcd-i3) that it can blast out 130db. Who in the hell except someone stone cold deaf needs 130db at the eardrum(Audeze’s reference point) that’s 30db less than 20in 12ga 00. Impressive yes, but literally no one I can think of will dial headphones up that loud.
Why, people love numbers. The more, the better. And it works:smile:

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,515 of 2,198
JVC HA-D700

Interesting!

I wonder if the dome in the center of t he grille introduces unwanted reflections, ringing, etc? Specifically with treble frequencies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back