The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Mar 25, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,711 of 2,182
especially for an open-backed headphone.
I don't have enough experience with different brand open air drivers, but thats an area that most drivers can excell in.
Its the other way around thats more difficult (open design in a closed Headphone).

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #1,712 of 2,182
Here is what is hopefully the final version of my own custom Armadillo headphone design. Thanks to chrisb from Freecad forum site I was able to split off the cup hanger and cup perfectly. So then I was able to create 40.3mm ring to cut into the driver diamter perfectly by using aligning tools in Tinkercad. And I also added a 3.5mm jack case too and it does look very derpy for the cup but the cup was designed for on-ear and I am an amateur who has no interest in 3d modelling so I just went with changing up stuff to fit my needs and to also make it open back. Link is here >https://app.mediafire.com/ynog6fw112gl1< and screw the other links too, those are now outdated. And with the 40.3mm it must be able to fit my 40.3mm driver (the 40.3mm is actual size of entire driver but diaphagram is 40mm and the original design without the 40.3mm modification did not fit my driver and the mount was made for a specific 39.83mm driver from Aliexpress >https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32883884428.html?pvid=84951e6c-f196-4eda-bcde-97e7092ad75c&_t=gps-id:platformRecommendH5,scm-url:1007.18499.139690.0,pvid:84951e6c-f196-4eda-bcde-97e7092ad75c&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=PAGE_VIEW_IDCLIENT_ID(aefeMsite)NAV_TIMING(navigationStart< as the maker provided to me)

EDIT: Ignore that funny face within the link. This site really likes to convert stuff into emojis.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #1,713 of 2,182
Close-up of Toshiba HR-811 driver.

_DSC4951.jpg_DSC4953.jpg
_DSC4948.jpg

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,714 of 2,182
I've seen similar illustrations in the past showing how the diaphragm distorts, and was getting interested in buying a beryllium-coated driver. I'd be very interested in any specific driver recommendations you might have, especially for an open-backed headphone
From my experience, the distortions do not impact resolution or performance.
They impact more by having added harmonics and giving a specific Tonality or type of sound added in. Like a richer or thicker sounding headphone.

Very nice job on headphones.
I like to point out when looking at drivers, you can't tell how much about how good it will be from just looking at the Frequency response, but what I found "telling" about that measurement, is that it correlates to performance.

To me, I noticed there is a trend, where the better drivers usually have more amplitude in the upper frequencies, while the cheaper drivers do less output in this area.

So to me, "upper frequency extension" this is more important than distortion or sensitivity, or other specs.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #1,715 of 2,182
New update on that Mediafire link with all the 3d printing parts for my own version for Armadillo headphones:

https://app.mediafire.com/03qxfj7007c2i I swear on my life this will actually be the final build and the true completeed version. I keep on having to make some minor changes to my cup and now it has gone as far as to modify the jack connecting block to print properly without the wall being too thin that is connecting that block to the cup. I had my cup file reviewed by some 3d printing and modelling expert and they helped me to perfect the jack connector. So now the cup should be perfect including the jack connector and right now my cup, two of them, are being printed in black PLA at 0.1mm with 85% infill and should come to me in 1-2 days. Also it is faaaaaaaaaaaar cheaper to get something 3d printed by a individual and not some corporate or big business such as Shape ways.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,717 of 2,182
For all those cheap-o’s like me. Heres the AKG k52’s driver. I never really heard what it sounds like because the jack was screwed up (it has been replaced with new drivers and jack now) but... yeah. Nothing else to say other than this is my first day in this thread!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,719 of 2,182
Looks more like generic Chinese 20 cent drivers that you find in every cheap gaming headset.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,722 of 2,182
Except that the the K52 doesn't sound cheap at all
In the right headset, the crappy Chinese drivers don't sound bad at all... although usually it seemed to happen purely by accident.
The fairly unknown Sharkoon Rush was also a pretty good example of this.

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,723 of 2,182
In the right headset, the crappy Chinese drivers don't sound bad at all... although usually it seemed to happen purely by accident.
The fairly unknown Sharkoon Rush was also a pretty good example of this.
I switched the drivers with a little better quality drivers that are more powerful. Ill post a picture soon of it.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #1,724 of 2,182
Looks more like generic Chinese 20 cent drivers that you find in every cheap gaming headset.
It is important for everyone to distinguish cheapo garbage drivers, from decent stuff.
Most cheapo stuff looks like that driver posted above, having no center vent.
Only the beyerdynamic drivers are both "non-center vented" and good.
But they still have tiny holes.

Anyways, check out this pic of how the plastic types perimeter corrugations flex:
Headphone101_DynamicDriver_DiaphragmAnimation.gif

:)
This is why the dynamic drivers are inherently flawed, compared to either a more pistonic design ( Utopia "bullet tweeter" type, or edge surrounded biocelulous types), or a noticably larger diaphragm that can cover more area in linear range, like the Sony Z1R & HD800 (for dynamics), and planar/electrostatic types.
The Raal requisite was the most fast in speed(good for realism), but wasn't optimal for bass.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #1,725 of 2,182
Also, that pic is yet another extreme simulation to show you the "flex" that will produce irregularities.
The center remains stiff, to push out a "dome shaped" sonic image.
A normal driver will not be pushed to that much excursion.
It is meant to visibly show the non linearity of the popular plastic driver design.
The trend by manufacturers has been to settle for this $h*t.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back