The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
May 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,143 of 6,325
^ I think what Justin means is that any interconnect will pick up noise (hum), and that then becomes amplified.  Try it without any interconnects to see if the noise is coming from the amp or from the environment.  Better interconnects should mean less noise I would think.

May 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,145 of 6,325
. . . .  ok . . .  then . . .
ph34r.gif

May 2, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,146 of 6,325
Quote:
I even separated both units by over 3 feet, and there was still no difference. The interconnects I used were XLR's.
Using the volume knob as a clock, with no volume being 7 o'clock and full 5 o'clock, I first tried the se535's.
With no music playing and on the low gain setting, I started hearing a slight humming at about 12 o'clock which increased going to 5 o'clock. 
I didn't try the se535's on the other two gains because IEM's are supposed to be used mainly on low gain.
As I've said, I did hear a humming around 12 o'clock, but when I started listening to some music, the highest I could go was 10 o'clock, but only for a short time. If I was to listen at that volume all the time, I'd end up going deaf.
I was also using my main source.

I then tried my HD-600's and again there was no difference between using the mini rack and the amp section being on the top shelf. This time I used the HD-600's on the medium gain, and again with no music playing, I could take the volume knob  to full and I heard nothing. I then listened to some music and the highest I could go to was around 11 o'clock.
I did try the HD-600's on the high gain and humming came in at about 4 o'clock.

If anyone would like to do a similar test to what I've done, just make sure the music doesn't come on while the volumes on full. 

My experience:

PSU and GS-Xmk2 with 14 inch vertical spacing (of which 6" is a powered off power amp)
With source disconnected, Westone ES5 dead quiet with unity gain and maximum volume
With source connected, Westone ES5 dead quiet 8 notches below max, around 3oclock with starting position being 7oclock
With source connected, HD800 dead quiet on high gain, volume at maximum.

PSU and GSxmk2 with 4" separation and stacked on top of each other... same result
With source disconnected and connected, Westone ES5 had noise on unity gain from the first notch up.  Very noticeable from 12oclock on.
With source connected, HD800 had no noise on high gain, maximum volume.

My normal "I am really paying attention to the music"  position is 11oclock high gain (HD800), 8-9oclock low gain (ES5) but that's with the DA-11 set around 30.  When being sent typical line level (Lavry at 40) I think anything beyond 12oclock, high gain with the HD800 would be damaging to hearing after long term exposure.

--Mark

May 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,147 of 6,325
I have a curious question, does the Headamp GS-X mk2 can drive a HE-6 in balance mode?

Thanks.

May 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,148 of 6,325
I've tried my GS-X with the se535's but without the source, and found there was a very faint noise, but only when I turned the volume knob to 4 o'clock, which didn't increase when I turned the volume to full. This was using the low gain.
So it's obvious the main noise is coming from my source and or my interconnects.
I'm also going to do the same test with my BHSE.
However, if I was to listen to anywhere near the volume I got the humming when using my source with the GS-X / se535's, I'd be deaf in no time. 

May 2, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,149 of 6,325
there aren't any stax headphones anywhere near as sensitive as SE535.  even the in-the-ear Stax would be no where near as sensitive and they lack the 20dB+ noise isolation.

it's not surprising to be picking up hum from a source using SE535 as your test.  

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
May 2, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #1,151 of 6,325
Quote:
there aren't any stax headphones anywhere near as sensitive as SE535.  even the in-the-ear Stax would be no where near as sensitive and they lack the 20dB+ noise isolation.

it's not surprising to be picking up hum from a source using SE535 as your test.  

I won't bother trying with the BHSE then.
I have to say, this very slight humming I heard using the se535's with just the GS-X, only happened when the volume was almost on full. There was no noise on any gain with the volume on full, when I used my HD-600's.
However, the only reason I did this test was to find out whether there'd be any noise when the GS-X was on the mini rack as opposed to the two units being somewhat apart, and there was no difference between the two positions.

Sorry, but I enjoy taking photos. I've posted this photo to show why the mini rack for the GS-X, was made to the size I asked for.

My living room where my audio gear is, does look a bit rough, but I'm having it done up shortly.

The next photo I post, will be when I have the Aristaeus, that mini rack on the top shelf is for that amp. In that photo my living room should be done.

May 2, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #1,152 of 6,325
very nice David. 

And to those that think I was being pushy check out my previous posts. I stated over and over again that I am not in a rush and dont want Justin to feel rushed either. Before you insinuate that I am not polite do your research. ALso if you read the thread you see people comment on why the wait times are as they are and you will see that like Preproman said things can come up with suppliers that disrupt things. I have met Justin in person and I think he knows that I am just fine with waiting as long as it takes -- happily. But whats wrong with asking for status once in a blue moon?

May 2, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,153 of 6,325
Quote:
My normal "I am really paying attention to the music"  position is 11oclock high gain (HD800)

Wow!  Time to go see an audiologist :p  I also listen at 11-1 with the HD800 but on LOW.  Especially scary given the DA11 wide open voltage output is 12Vrms to the PWD2 5.6Vrms output.

May 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #1,155 of 6,325
It's 2Vrms point is 40/56.  To be fair if it capped near 2V it wouldn't be a very useful headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back