The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Apr 5, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #5,732 of 6,325
I'm waiting for a GSX Mk2 at the moment and considering my options for rearranging vs. acquiring a new DAC for it. I have an Yggdrasil and a PS Audio DirectStream. Which of those DACs pairs better with the GSX?

My guess would be the PS Audio DirectStream. It is more elaborate and has consistently VERY good reviews. I must say, though, I have never heard one, but hadn't I my beloved R2R DAC, the PS Audio DirectStream would me my DAC to go.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #5,733 of 6,325
Just to update you on the hum problem, which isn't bad, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. Re-soldered my spare XLR cables such that pin 1 goes to the shell ground of the plugs. DAC to pre-amp didn't make a difference, but when I connected the modified XLR cables to the power amp, the hum became quite intense. So I went back to my unmodified XLR cables and the hum became very faint again.

Also, tried a different connector strip plugged into another power socket. Didn't help either.

My last resort is the Mu-Metal suggested by Joseph69. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #5,734 of 6,325
My guess would be the PS Audio DirectStream. It is more elaborate and has consistently VERY good reviews. I must say, though, I have never heard one, but hadn't I my beloved R2R DAC, the PS Audio DirectStream would me my DAC to go.

Which R2R DAC are you using with your GSX?

With respect to the Yggdrasil, I'm a little concerned about brightness between it an the GSX. Some–perhaps all–of this can be addressed with headphone selection. Have you found this to be a problem with your GSX/DAC?

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #5,736 of 6,325
Which R2R DAC are you using with your GSX?

With respect to the Yggdrasil, I'm a little concerned about brightness between it an the GSX. Some–perhaps all–of this can be addressed with headphone selection. Have you found this to be a problem with your GSX/DAC?

I am using the Aqua HiFi La Voce S2. Wonderful sound, smooth and detailed. Darko reviewed it very favourably, saying that it has no trable glare whatsoever. Here's the link:

https://darko.audio/2015/09/aqua-hifi-la-voce-s2-review-new-tricks-from-an-old-dog/

I have no experience with the Yggdrasil, I only had the Bifrost Uber before getting the La Voce S2. Comparing the Bifrost to the La Voce would be unfair, as there is quite a difference in price between the two. There's also an upgrade for the S2 version, where the Burr Brown PCM1704 chips are replaced by an in-house designed R2R ladder. See also

https://darko.audio/2018/03/aqua-hifi-announce-la-voce-s3-dac/

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #5,739 of 6,325
Hey I think the dac we want is formula optilogic dac.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #5,740 of 6,325
It seems R2R ladder is all the crave now huh ?

Yes, it's interesting how the R2R technology all of a sudden got such impetus. There's a thread here on Head-Fi: R2R/multibit vs Delta-Sigma - Is There a Measurable Scientific Difference That's Audible

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/r2r...e-scientific-difference-thats-audible.779572/

When I started looking for a DAC, I read a lot about treble glare, particularly concerning the Sabre chip DACs. In parallel, I also read a lot about the GS-X Mk2, which was my must to have headphone amp, being an unforgivably lean amp. So I thought, best to use a slightly 'forgiving' DAC in combination with the GS-X. I also stumbled on John Darko's reviews of the Aqua DACs, and I immediately thought that pairing an Aqua DAC with the GS-X must be a good combo. Naturally, I was terribly naive, but in the end it did turn out to be a good match.

My only worries were that the La Voce had the old BB PCM1704 chips built in, that were getting very rare. So I wasn't really sure if it can be upgraded. But luckily, Aqua decided to make a 'modern' ladder design available. So R2R turned out to be future-proof, at least for me.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #5,742 of 6,325
Hey I think the dac we want is formula optilogic dac.

I'm having the same discussion with Aurender people: they keep telling me how infinitely better the N10 streamer is compared to my N100H. And it goes further: that the W20 is in an altogether different league than the N10. All fine, sure, I believe everyone! If I had 19,000 $ to spend, I'd gladly get those upgrades!

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #5,743 of 6,325
particularly concerning the Sabre chip DACs. In parallel, I also read a lot about the GS-X Mk2, which was my must to have headphone amp, being an unforgivably lean amp.

Not with the ES9028Pro and ES9038Pro and properly implemented and executed in a good design. My LKS004 has no glare or glaze or glass or whatever you want to call it (dual ES9038Pro). I do feed it toward my SR009, and also using all Silver wires. Nope!

Anyways, I will be getting audioGd R2R-7 and see what is all this crave about

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #5,744 of 6,325
I’m upgrading my ds gt to ds core antipodes server, so I know what you mean. So a new dac is not in the cards this year I think, but if I do it will be a big move.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #5,745 of 6,325
Not with the ES9028Pro and ES9038Pro and properly implemented and executed in a good design. My LKS004 has no glare or glaze or glass or whatever you want to call it (dual ES9038Pro). I do feed it toward my SR009, and also using all Silver wires. Nope!

Anyways, I will be getting audioGd R2R-7 and see what is all this crave about

Totally agree! chip means nothing.

Look at Ayre QX-5 Twenty: it has the sabre ES9038pro chip, and it one of the most musical / warm DAC out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back