The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Aug 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,481 of 6,325
How does she sound? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #3,482 of 6,325
The sound is awesome of course :) Besides LCD-3's I tried my old and trusty HD 650's. I was totally surprised how they scaled with this amp.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,483 of 6,325
Hey Justin do you know if your Aus distributer has received units from the latest batch yet? I'm still waiting to receive my order :/

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,484 of 6,325
Some bashing of the GSX on the HD800 thread at the moment. Anyone care to defend your amp? It could be interesting.
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3,487 of 6,325
  Havent looked, dont read the HD800 thread, but going to guess Head-Fi isnt the only forum read by the 'basher(s)'?

Its amazing how I haven't heard any bad things about GSX MK2 / HD800 and now all of a sudden they are all jumping on the bandwagon. Some of the stuff spouted is a bit ridiculous to be fair. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3,489 of 6,325
  Some bashing of the GSX on the HD800 thread at the moment. Anyone care to defend your amp? It could be interesting. 
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

Quote:

Havent looked, dont read the HD800 thread, but going to guess Head-Fi isnt the only forum read by the 'basher(s)'?

Its amazing how I haven't heard any bad things about GSX MK2 / HD800 and now all of a sudden they are all jumping on the bandwagon. Some of the stuff spouted is a bit ridiculous to be fair. 

I had a quick look and assume you're talking about the "The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread". This subtopic seems to start with purrin posting a list of "amps [...] which gel well with HD800" but "avoided mention any amps which gooified the HD800 because I feel HD800 gooification is just plain wrong".

67 minutes and 5 posts down listen4joy asks:
 8/6/14 at 10:21pm
  what about gsx-mk2?. many said that he is the best amp for hd800

purrin answers the next day:
 8/7/14 at 12:13am

what about gsx-mk2?. many said that he is the best amp for hd800

Do you see it in my list? :)

Seriously, I know many people who love the GSX-mk2 + HD800, but personally I hate it for the HD800. Why not just light up an arc-welder in my face? Sounds etched, strident, grainy and also lacks balls with HD800 - flat sounding. Antiseptic. Analytical. Not my kind of sound. It even sounded that way with an MSB Analog DAC which is as smooth and buttery as it gets. How the amp makes such a great DAC sound that may makes me wonder. To be fair, the GSX2 is very clear and detailed.

First time I heard the GSX2, it was with the HE-500 briefly and I thought it was pretty darn spectacular. Resolving and clear sounding. But after getting more successive exposure to it with other headphones, I disliked it more and more. Just flat. Soulless. It's probably the most #1 overrated amp ever, with a mystery cachet enabled by the fact that they are so rare with production taking 27 months. I'm so sick of hearing that line "it's worth the wait" as sort of a lame excuse. While I am not going to say "it's not worth the wait", I'm definitely going to say "nothing is worth that kind of wait". Especially since there are DIY guys out there who may be willing to build you a Dynahi or balanced Dynahi for similar price, which is sort of like a GSX on steroids.

It's hard to fight legends, but I'm in a legend fighting mood today.

This seems to trigger some posts, most of which I haven't read yet.

It seems to me that purrin's preferences isn't compatible with GS-X mk2 and hence prefer other amplifiers. There's nothing wrong with that. I believe it's normally possible to understand the what and why of purrin's preferences and observations, at least if you read more than one post.

I have written along similar lines about products I own or have tried, last time today as a followup to purrin's list.

I remember a wise forum post saying something like: "I prefer and gain more insight and knowledge from the (good) critical posts because people are often better at describing why they don't like something than why they like it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] Its amazing how I haven't heard any bad things about GSX MK2 / HD800 and now all of a sudden they are all jumping on the bandwagon. [...]

At least purrin has written quite similar things earlier. I don't remember whether I read it on Head-Fi.org, purrins forum or an other forum.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #3,490 of 6,325

It seems to me that purrin's preferences isn't compatible with GS-X mk2 and hence prefer other amplifiers. There's nothing wrong with that. I believe it's normally possible to understand the what and why of purrin's preferences and observations, at least if you read more than one post.

I have written along similar lines about products I own or have tried, last time today as a followup to purrin's list.

I have read a lot of his posts not just one (if that's what your getting at) and no there is nothing wrong with that - there were 4 or 5 others who chimed in and had bad things to say. I just thought it strange because i hadn't heard of such negativity directed towards the GSX all in one place like that before. 

I though it might spark some good conversation and it did IMO. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #3,492 of 6,325
Haha, as a new owner of gsx-mkii, I also posted in that thread I do not like the HD800/GSX-MKII combo. But I still bought one from a member here. Just sometimes I do like gsx-mkii, but I also love my other amps, and I feel there is no need to post any negative thoughts about some amps since different people will have different preference. There is no point to argue with other people, and there seems a bunch of people who like to defend their own amps. And I saw most of those members who claimed they did not like gsx-mkii have tried many other high-end amps so they obviously have something to say, but they might feel the same way as I did. 

I have read a lot of his posts not just one (if that's what your getting at) and no there is nothing wrong with that - there were 4 or 5 others who chimed in and had bad things to say. I just thought it strange because i hadn't heard of such negativity directed towards the GSX all in one place like that before. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3,493 of 6,325

I didn't intend to accuse you or anybody else of just reading one post. It was more of general  remark, because we all, including purrin, may not give a comprehensive picture in every single post, and hence can be (partially) misunderstood. Alas I didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

Quite the contrary as I hope I was able to convey - I found the negative comments and discussion interesting as well. Thank you for sharing.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,494 of 6,325
  I guess the extensive cross-quoting of someone else's negative comments from another thread into this one makes the quoter appear to be cool and tied-in. Why didn't I think of that?

I assume that's a comment to my post.

You miss the mark. I wasn't tied in because I haven't followed the Sennheiser HD 800 impression thread.

On the other hand I believe in cross linking and quoting so others don't have to search for the information you talk about. It's about convenience, transparency and being helpful.

I also believe in being able to present both praise and critique. A balanced thread (for grown ups) is much more useful and interesting than a single minded hallelujah thread.

By the way, since I've paid and waited 16 months for my GS-X mk2, I believe I've got the right to look at and wirte about both positive and negative aspects concerning GS-X mk2.

Again, thank you to magiccabbage for sharing the information.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,495 of 6,325

I didn't intend to accuse you or anybody else of just reading one post. It was more of general  remark, because we all, including purrin, may not give a comprehensive picture in every single post, and hence can be (partially) misunderstood. Alas I didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

Quite the contrary as I hope I was able to convey - I found the negative comments and discussion interesting as well. Thank you for sharing.

No offense take. Its cool...... 
cool.gif
. I also found the negative comments interesting which is why I posted here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back