The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Nov 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,042 of 6,325
  i will do the best that i can. what ends up happening is the companies that do work shut down around 12/15. which means, they won't even bother starting anything they get after thanksgiving. which is like now. so, this time of year really sucks.

Great, thanks for the information! It'll be done when it's done I suppose, especially when as I understand there are many factors out of your control. Keep us updated if you can.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2,043 of 6,325

Nice!  Is that one mine ?
wink_face.gif

Think I'll need to get the Fostex phones to go with.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2,045 of 6,325
I read some feedbacks that say the opposite of what I've read first about the MK2.

So I'll ask here, how do you compare the sonic signature of the MK2 to the Burson Soloist ? I tend to like a neutral signature but very slightly tilted on the warm side.

And 2nd question, what dac do you recommend with the MK2 ?
I've the Wyred4Sound Dac-2 and the Auralic Ark MX+ on my short list.

Thanks !

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #2,046 of 6,325
  I read some feedbacks that say the opposite of what I've read first about the MK2.

So I'll ask here, how do you compare the sonic signature of the MK2 to the Burson Soloist ? I tend to like a neutral signature but very slightly tilted on the warm side.

Thanks !

I would recommend the NAD M51 as a DAC.  The W4S DAC-2 is also nice but the NAD M51 is noticeably better and more refined sounding.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2,047 of 6,325
I am new to this thread so my question may have been answered before and I apologize for that.
With the JPS Abyss, will the GSX mkII be a good match too? and how about when comparing
to the Liquid Gold or Woo WA22? . I am using Weiss DAC202. JPS aluminata AC and XLR interconnects.

What is the real waiting time for the GSX mkII?

thanks,

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #2,048 of 6,325

So I'll ask here, how do you compare the sonic signature of the MK2 to the Burson Soloist ?

The GS-X mk2 is a better Soloist.  Take what the Soloist does, scrub off that last layer of veil and grain, increase the sub bass depth and make the overall result all that more effortless sounding... GS-X mk2.

W4S DAC-2 is ok for the price but beaten by a few less expensive DACs including the Metrum Octave and Schiit Gungnir.  Higher priced DACs like the PWD2 and BDA-2 crush it.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #2,049 of 6,325

I recently happened to write a review of the Soloist that compares to the GS-X MK2: http://www.head-fi.org/products/burson-audio-soloist-amp/reviews/9959

IMO, no one can recommend a particular DAC to go with the GS-X when the amp is as transparent as it is. So transparent that it literally takes on the sound of the source - i.e., if you compared 2 DACs on the GS-X, there's the potential that you could get 2 completely different sounds that are nothing alike. That makes it extra-complicated to find a good source for the GS-X. If there's anything I recommend, I'd just say try to find a way to get both DACs at the same time and keep the one you prefer.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #2,050 of 6,325
IMO, no one can recommend a particular DAC to go with the GS-X when the amp is as transparent as it is. So transparent that it literally takes on the sound of the source - i.e., if you compared 2 DACs on the GS-X, there's the potential that you could get 2 completely different sounds that are nothing alike. That makes it extra-complicated to find a good source for the GS-X. If there's anything I recommend, I'd just say try to find a way to get both DACs at the same time and keep the one you prefer.

+1

This is why the GS-X is so sought after, you get all the goodness and functionality of the GS-X without interfering with your sources sound signature

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,052 of 6,325
Justin,

Is it possible to get the BHSE spiked metal feet on the Power Supply of this amp?

Ooooh that would be nice. Is it a possibility?

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,053 of 6,325
I'm putting custom solid brass spikes on my GS-X when it arrives. A few pages back, Justin mentions some crucial information about removing the rubber feet and gives specs. So yes, it is possible to have spikes, and the question is whether Justin has spare spikes from the BHSE. If not, I will provide info on the company / guy in Maine that does my custom spikes. Very reasonably priced for exceptional USA craftsmanship. A good match for HeadAmp atheistic perfection.

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #2,054 of 6,325
I was wondering if anyone who owns or who has spent good time with both a GSX MK2/ LCD-3 system and a BHSE/ SR-007 system could write up a comparison review or just express some thoughts on how they differ.

I was specifically interested in the tonal and weight issues.   I have a BHSE/007 system and I miss the weight of a dynamic system.  Of course the 009 is for sure out for me.  I tried it for several months and it is way to thin sounding to my tastes.

I want to get a feel for if a GSX MK2/LCD-3 system may give me what I am looking for in terms of a creamier weightier sound while still sounding accurate.

How do these systems compare?  Are the differences huge, or subtle?

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #2,055 of 6,325
  I was wondering if anyone who owns or who has spent good time with both a GSX MK2/ LCD-3 system and a BHSE/ SR-007 system could write up a comparison review or just express some thoughts on how they differ.

I was specifically interested in the tonal and weight issues.   I have a BHSE/007 system and I miss the weight of a dynamic system.  Of course the 009 is for sure out for me.  I tried it for several months and it is way to thin sounding to my tastes.

I want to get a feel for if a GSX MK2/LCD-3 system may give me what I am looking for in terms of a creamier weightier sound while still sounding accurate.

How do these systems compare?  Are the differences huge, or subtle?

creamy and weighter yes, the GSX MK2 and LCD-3 certainly deliver. sometimes the sound is a little more neutral sounding to my ears, sometimes it sound quite lush. its certainly a warm yet accurate sounding combination. even with a very neutral amp and a neutral dac (personally i think the gsx mk2 is on the warmer side of neutral), the sound is quite lush with the LCD-3, creamy mids and a more analog kinda sound. sometimes i find it a bit too much, sometimes it works very well with the music. its very smooth, musical and tonally accurate. tube like in a way. if you're looking for tone and weight, the LCD-3 certainly have that!

unfortunately i can't compare it to a SR-007 since i haven't heard that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back