The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #3,046 of 6,325
Given the amount of labor, attention to detail, and difficult to find parts that Justin invests/installs in the GSX, it seems highly unlikely that he would ship it with an inadequate/defective power cord or not have a specific recommendation.

Edit: just to be clarify, the only spec that concerns me other than AWG is length. As long as the cable reaches from the amp to the wall....

FYI the amp does not come with a power cord. Only an umbilical.

Whoops. Let me extract my foot from my mouth. Give me a minute...

I should have waited a few weeks until mine showed up before assuming. Time to pull a power cord out of the bag o cables.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,048 of 6,325
I actually don't have a spare hanging around but I came upon this "Sine" branded cable for $90. I don't have a lot of faith in power cables but this looks sufficiently excessive for a not too silly price.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #3,049 of 6,325
The thickness of the power cord does not mean a thing. What matters most is the design and material used and how they, in combination, can effectively minimize external interference.

Those looking for quality, effective power cords I highly recommend checking those from Audio Art Cable. I recently tried the mid-tier Power 1 Classic cord with the Furutech plug set and I was blown away at the difference it made to the overall sound quality of my setup. The reviews from 6 Moons are accurate (for once) and the difference was like night and day. Increased resolution, detail, deeper bass and instrument placement. I could not believe my ears as the difference was akin to a component change. I am now in the process of replacing all power cords in my system from Shunyata Venoms to the Audio Art SE cords.

I believe there is a promo going on now with Audio Art cords with the base cord starting at $130 with Wattgate plugs and free shipping which is incredibly good value. I believe the higher end cords use the exact same materials with the exception of the plugs being different. Grab these for a song while you still can..you may be able to get a better price if you mention Tim from headfi recommended these. 
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #3,052 of 6,325
My apology for misinterpreting your comments (although I think you could read it both ways).   Nevertheless, I still feel that power cables if they are reasonably well made to begin with should have little impact on overall SQ.  There are certainly other factors -- voltage fluctuations, DC offset (dirty current), etc -  that I will concede could affect performance, but ordinarily these would be obvious to almost everyone and would not be changed by switching to more expensive power cords, "high-end" wall outlets, etc.  Perhaps a dedicated power circuit "could" help when using very high power speaker amps but not likely a headphone amp.  

You could argue that this may not be the right forum to discuss power cables per se but since it is about the GS-X MkII and since most people will want to use the best possible equipment with this amp, this topic is certainly worth discussing.   It might also be interesting to hear what Justin's opinion is -- he designed the power supply for the amp and may wish to chime in on this.   I have previously owned both a GS-X MkI (and GS 1) -- both great amps  (I just put in an order for a MkII) - and my limited experience with several power cords  (stock and "hi end") on both amps leads me to believe that they don't make much of a difference at all.  I'm willing to be proven wrong but I just don't think the evidence is quite in yet.  

Again, you'll never know until you've tried yourself. I'm having an Odin powercord in my system on loan (I'm already using Odin interconnects), the change it brings to my system is staggering. Like you, I couldn't understand why a PC or IC can cost more than a Toyota, now I can. Whether it's worth it? Well, only oneself can make the call.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3,053 of 6,325
The thickness of the power cord does not mean a thing. What matters most is the design and material used and how they, in combination, can effectively minimize external interference.

Those looking for quality, effective power cords I highly recommend checking those from Audio Art Cable. I recently tried the mid-tier Power 1 Classic cord with the Furutech plug set and I was blown away at the difference it made to the overall sound quality of my setup. The reviews from 6 Moons are accurate (for once) and the difference was like night and day. Increased resolution, detail, deeper bass and instrument placement. I could not believe my ears as the difference was akin to a component change. I am now in the process of replacing all power cords in my system from Shunyata Venoms to the Audio Art SE cords.

I believe there is a promo going on now with Audio Art cords with the base cord starting at $130 with Wattgate plugs and free shipping which is incredibly good value. I believe the higher end cords use the exact same materials with the exception of the plugs being different. Grab these for a song while you still can..you may be able to get a better price if you mention Tim from headfi recommended these. :wink:  

Try the shunyata zitron series, and you'll get rid of your audio art like hot potatoes:cool:

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,054 of 6,325
Again, you'll never know until you've tried yourself. I'm having an Odin powercord in my system on loan (I'm already using Odin interconnects), the change it brings to my system is staggering. Like you, I couldn't understand why a PC or IC can cost more than a Toyota, now I can. Whether it's worth it? Well, only oneself can make the call.

Our knowledge of power cable requirements and capabilities are pretty comprehensive.  There is no evidence to support the claim that a properly made power cord alters output audibly.  Since you claim the differences are "staggering", it should be trivial to measure where this difference is occurring but to date, no vendor does so.

IMO, this is like telling someone to jump off a tall building to see if gravity exists - you'll never know until you've tried it yourself.....

Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the Cables section.

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,057 of 6,325
So, when the GSX ships will we get an email from FedEx or UPS with the tracking number? Sorry if this was already covered. I cannot recall.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #3,059 of 6,325
[quote name="bfreedma" url="/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-and

IMO, this is like telling someone to jump off a tall building to see if gravity exists - you'll never know until you've tried it yourself.....

Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the Cables section.
[/quote]

First of all, the effect of cabling is still in dispute; secondly, trying a powercord in your own system will never have yourself killed... People has the right to choose not to believe, but those who make a firm conclusion based on theory without even bothered to try are either arrogant or lazy.

Agreed we should discuss this somewhere else.

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #3,060 of 6,325
First of all, the effect of cabling is still in dispute; secondly, trying a powercord in your own system will never have yourself killed... People has the right to choose not to believe, but those who make a firm conclusion based on theory without even bothered to try are either arrogant or lazy.

nickif - to me your statement is arrogant and offensive. You are proposing that we part with substantial amounts of hard earned cash based on belief that denies everything we have learned at school and uni. And everyone who is not a "believer" is automatically arrogant or lazy. 

Some of us prefer to allocate our cash in something that we understand rather than believe. Please respect this choice.

And this believing would be helped if some of the magic cable vendors offered money-back return policy. So far I haven't found any that would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back