the hate posted on here about certain manufacturers ....
Feb 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

motorider

New Head-Fier
I am a new member, however i have been lurking for a while researching a better sounding IEM. In my search I have found a lot of hate about certain manufacturers equipment.  I find it to be a serious turn off. I truely believe that there is alot of useful information here and im sure many sincere people on this forum, however it bugs me that several members can be very degrading to someone looking to upgrade.

in fact i asked a question in the IEM forum about upgrading from my skullcandy's. my question was ignored so i reposted and it was once again ignored. I am willing to bet it was igonored because i posted that i had a pair of skullcandys. You know what they are good at what they are priced for. I paid 10 bucks for a pair that has a lifetime warranty because i work in construction and they get tore up. i send them in and get a new pair for free. not such a bad deal huh. its much better than trashing a 100-300 dollar set of cans, yes?

So anyhow im curious why all the hate. I am willing to be that many of those haters have never even heard the 2.0 version. Im not saying that they are near audiophile grade,  but they are much improved on from the originals.

basically i think you could be pushing away members that may be looking for a better option. In my case there is nowhere here in wichita, ks to find a good set of cans to look at, much less listen to.

Just so you know I have a very nice home theater setup that includes the likes of Denon, Paradigm, and my HTPC with 12TB of movies. My sound is good, however i will be building a complete new linup of custom speakers built by yours truely.  so i have heard what great sound sounds like. I just want that great sound in a set of cans for my on the go life.

Rant off

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 34
I have no idea about IEM's, since i never use them
I feel the need to post because i agree with what you have said a fair amount
although I've never heard of threads go so far as to be ignored.. that's terrible.
It's true some brands here are more liked than others though, that much is clearly evident.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 34
I don't think people are ignoring you for the sake of your Skullcandy's.  I think it more or less has something to do with the fact that there is already a lot of information on the forums regarding the current selection of IEMs that sound great for $10-$30.  I have been lurking here for only the last month or so and have already found a wealth of information on headphones and IEMs and have never started a thread.  The very first page of the portable section has an awesome discovery thread that you should have seen.  In all honesty, I myself don't like answering questions that have already been answered but for the sake of being helpful I will help you get started on your journey to spend all your monies on numerous headphones that you will not need.

Discovery Thread

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:
I am a new member, however i have been lurking for a while researching a better sounding IEM. In my search I have found a lot of hate about certain manufacturers equipment.  I find it to be a serious turn off. I truely believe that there is alot of useful information here and im sure many sincere people on this forum, however it bugs me that several members can be very degrading to someone looking to upgrade.

in fact i asked a question in the IEM forum about upgrading from my skullcandy's. my question was ignored so i reposted and it was once again ignored. I am willing to bet it was igonored because i posted that i had a pair of skullcandys. You know what they are good at what they are priced for. I paid 10 bucks for a pair that has a lifetime warranty because i work in construction and they get tore up. i send them in and get a new pair for free. not such a bad deal huh. its much better than trashing a 100-300 dollar set of cans, yes?

So anyhow im curious why all the hate. I am willing to be that many of those haters have never even heard the 2.0 version. Im not saying that they are near audiophile grade,  but they are much improved on from the originals.

basically i think you could be pushing away members that may be looking for a better option. In my case there is nowhere here in wichita, ks to find a good set of cans to look at, much less listen to.

Just so you know I have a very nice home theater setup that includes the likes of Denon, Paradigm, and my HTPC with 12TB of movies. My sound is good, however i will be building a complete new linup of custom speakers built by yours truely.  so i have heard what great sound sounds like. I just want that great sound in a set of cans for my on the go life.

Rant off

Brand hatred or blind brand loyalty is ignorant and/or elitist and you probably wouldn't opinions from people like that anyway. Bose, for one does not get a lot of love around here, but it is probably because they are overpriced for what you get. They don't suck, and if they were priced better, they'd probably get more respect in here. But, it's always about perception, and the general population will probably tell ou that Bose is great, top quality stuff. It's hard to convince someone that their $300 Bose cans are no better than an $89 pair of Brand-X cans. Same thing is true for other brands that the general population thinks is great. The same thing is true for so many things, such as fitness, diet, etc.

My advice to you is, lurk some more, try to find answers yourself, ask specific (not general) questions, and learn what you like in a sound signature, if you don't already know. For example, it's too general to say I want to upgrade my XXX phones, what should I get. It is much better to say, I dislike my current phones because they are too bright, and I would like to find a set of phones that have solid bass response for hip hop. I can spend about $150. The second question is guaranteed to get useful responses.

One more thing - enjoy the journey of searching and researching. It's part of the fun. And don't get discouraged if you come across a jerk now and then. They're just a part of life, and sometimes, they may even have good advice, in spite of how poorly they communicate it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 34
The recommendation threads are huge. It's very easy to get posts lost in there. I've posted a lot of stuff that hasn't been replied to before. It's not because people are being mean to me, but it's not exactly a scientific thread where people check off what has been responded to or not. If you don't have luck there, I don't think anyone is going to cane you for making a new thread. Of course, you can probably find what you want by searching - but if you can't, make a new thread.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 34
hello all,

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies. here was my first post.

"hello fello head-fiers,

I have  been lurking here for a while and am finally looking to get a new set of IEM's. I currently have a pair of (go ahead and laugh) skull candy inked earbuds. they were cheap and sounded good enough to get tore up on a construction site. anyhow im looking to get a good set. I will try to buy used so as to save cash and get more bang for my buck.

I normally listen to mostly rock, metal, and country. sometimes i will listen to certain rap, however, as of late i have been exploring the likes of trans siberian orchestra and other classical music that fits inline with them....mostly discovered on pandora.

I want a set that will work well on my ipod, ipad or my galaxy nexus as they will be my main sources.  i may someday add a portable amp, but for right now they are out of my price range.

I would like a set that is very clean and plays well down low. i dont mean i want it to be boomy like the skull candy's, but i like to really hear the punch of the kick drum and the impact of a snare drum. clean tight hard hitting bass. I also like a clean neutral mid as well as a smooth top end.

listening conditions: I usually will use them on the go, weather doing housework, building cabinets, lifting weights or riding my motorcycle (inside helmet) so the set i get has to be able to stay in my ear as i slip on my helmet. the skull candy's work, but it can be tricky.

price wise, i dunno. depends on whats out there and new or used.  lets just say 200 used. maybe more if the price is warranted for a new set.

not sure if im using any of the right lingo, but that is how i can describe it.

thanks for the support
shaun"

I thought I was fairly suggestive in what I was interested in. Also I thought that my post might have gotten listed so I reposted the same post. both times there were answers to peoples questions all around my post, however mine  was skipped both times. I could truly care less about this, but I just saw places where members blasted newbies like me by saying our stuff is junk. maybe that all a person could afford at the time, or maybe they wanted a cheap set to work in so they don't destroy a good set. everybody starts somewhere. 

rant off and I promise I wont bring it up again. :)

anyhow I did do my own research and will be receiving my first set of "better" phones. I ordered a set of soundmagic e30 IEM's. amazon messed up and shipped the wrong ones, so I will not have them till tomorrow. I can not wait to listen.

I really wanted to order a set of the pfe 112 I think they were, however I really wanted the 232, so I will wait till I can find a set used to save some dough. its just really tough when you cannot touchy feely, and try on for fitment. my ears are funny and some of the iem's I have tried truly hurt my ears. I don't want to dump serious cash on something I cannot return.

again thanks for the replies and happy listening
shaun

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 34
It's mostly frustration/venting.  You've already waited to get the product.  It turns out a lemon then you have the addtional wait for the replacement.  Returns are a pain when you can't just run to the store and get the situation fixed in an hour.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 34
Yep.. personally I didn't think very highly of V-Moda until recently. I've always been a Sennheiser fan really. But I have to admit, The M80's are pretty damn good. Much of Sennheiser's CX series is not very good imo, even though I love Sennheiser as a company.

People can definitely be biased, but I think regardless of company - good products will get good reviews, generally. Monster is not exactly known is a great audiophile company, at least - it wasn't until recently. But hey, a lot of Monster IEMS have been very highly recommended and well regarded here. I think even the Skullcandy Aviator's got some praise here.

If a product is good, regardless of manufacturer, reasonable people will review it appropriately. If you look around, you'll see. :p

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Brand hatred or blind brand loyalty is ignorant and/or elitist and you probably wouldn't opinions from people like that anyway. Bose, for one does not get a lot of love around here, but it is probably because they are overpriced for what you get. They don't suck, and if they were priced better, they'd probably get more respect in here. But, it's always about perception, and the general population will probably tell ou that Bose is great, top quality stuff. It's hard to convince someone that their $300 Bose cans are no better than an $89 pair of Brand-X cans. Same thing is true for other brands that the general population thinks is great. The same thing is true for so many things, such as fitness, diet, etc.

My advice to you is, lurk some more, try to find answers yourself, ask specific (not general) questions, and learn what you like in a sound signature, if you don't already know. For example, it's too general to say I want to upgrade my XXX phones, what should I get. It is much better to say, I dislike my current phones because they are too bright, and I would like to find a set of phones that have solid bass response for hip hop. I can spend about $150. The second question is guaranteed to get useful responses.

One more thing - enjoy the journey of searching and researching. It's part of the fun. And don't get discouraged if you come across a jerk now and then. They're just a part of life, and sometimes, they may even have good advice, in spite of how poorly they communicate it.

Yes, you are very much so correct. Peoples actions here dont bother me much; however, I was just looking at it from another persons eyes that might be a little more sensitive to being bashed on when they are new. Forums like this stay alilve because they have the ability to attract new members and thus advertisers. Just bringing up what they might not be willing to is all.

As for Bose, well im not a huge fan. I think thier stuff sounds good, but it is way overpriced. I think better can be had for less money. I feel the same way about the Beats...at least the beats studio (black over ear ones) are way overpriced, however sound isnt bad. I have heard bad, and that was not it. I think that if they would have been priced around 75-100 that they would have been a decent deal, but at 300, no way!

Also I have no experience with headphones, thus i cant say I like xyz brand or dislike xyz brand becuase its too bassy or too bright. The only headphones I have owned in recent history is the skullcany's.  There is not much available here in boring ks to try out.  Im damn sure not going to pay 300 for a set of beats, so that leaves the cheapos.

I am kinda like an ADHD child when it comes to music.  I like it all and Im not afraid to admit it. I have actually started listening to orchestra and symphony types of music. I appreciate all forms of music. I can not listen to opera, however. I really dig things like trans siberian orchestra types of music. I love country music that i can relate too. I love megadeath, metallica and the likes. I love alternative. It truely doesnt matter. I really think it is as much the instrumentation that i like as much as the voices, except country, because I can relate to alot of the stories that the artists tell. I like jazz, however i dont currently listen to it much. Evanescense...mmmmm

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
I really don't see that much hate directed at any product that doesn't deserve it around here. Some products are routinely trashed because they simply are not good products.

Why bash a product at all? maybe its all that is available to somebody that is trying to learn on the web about "better" products. could scare off new members. Instead of bashing why not just say that you suggest xyz product becuase it fills the midrange much better than your currnent model. I dont know the lingo all that well, partly why im here, to learn.

Did you know that skullcandy's have a lifetime warranty (perfect to get tore up at work, or for use in off road)? the inked 2 buds aren't that bad. the originals were terrible, but they could also be had for 8-10 bucks. They replaced mine 3 times so far. and i got free upgrades to inked 2.

Just sayin.

Cant wait to get my soundmagic e30's

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 34
Seems like you're doing most of the bashing here. It's a forum, if you were expecting much better than I think your expectations are unrealistic. It's great that you can get your skull candies replaced whenever you tear them up but it doesn't speak to their sound (which is fine for $10). Do you possibly think that their price amortizes their liberal warranty meaning they need to keep them cheap to make. There's trade offs in everything and nobody treated you badly. Problem with Skullcandy is that they don't get better as you spend more and that's bummed a lot of folks. Also good reason to not be impressed.

The problem with your request is that it's still rather vague regarding the sound and price you like without enough comparators of products others are familiar with. What you desribed is what everybody wants except opinion on what sig that is will vary. In this thread fir instance, Spyro and I are experinced but have different ideas about natural or good bass, When I know what he likes or vice/versa we can help the other but if we both say we like natural extended bass, it doesn't mean the same thing. I'd probably look at the gr07 with some earguides. Is warranty is important to you, why would you buy used? Haven't heard those e30s but I bet you like them and you saved a lot of dough as well.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
Why bash a product at all? maybe its all that is available to somebody that is trying to learn on the web about "better" products. could scare off new members. Instead of bashing why not just say that you suggest xyz product becuase it fills the midrange much better than your currnent model. I dont know the lingo all that well, partly why im here, to learn.

Did you know that skullcandy's have a lifetime warranty (perfect to get tore up at work, or for use in off road)? the inked 2 buds aren't that bad. the originals were terrible, but they could also be had for 8-10 bucks. They replaced mine 3 times so far. and i got free upgrades to inked 2.

Just sayin.

Cant wait to get my soundmagic e30's

Why not bash a product if you don't like it or if you've had a poor experience with it? Everyone is free to their own opinion of various headphones. Furthermore, most people do make suggestions towards other/better alternatives. These forums are very well moderated from spam and trash posts/complete nonsense. There are hundreds and hundreds of threads full of fantastic suggestions and mature conversation, I really don't see any problem with scaring away new members. 

It's great that you've had a positive experience with Skullcandy's. I've only heard the Mix Master and thought it was ok, not good enough that I would consider spending $300 on them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back