The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 7, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #11,086 of 12,962
Oh yeah, I read a review on that one. Seems very interesting. Hopefully there will be some bassheads putting it to the test and sharing their thoughts.

What I hear on the HEDD so far is its my sort of bass. Tonally correct, excellent speed/rise time similar to a Stax estat, but not gut punching thudding bass. No idea what EQ would do to it.

The only estats I was ever impressed by the bass is the Voce on a HFM Jr, that's $8k new, and I don't think one regular in this thread would take it over the Phi, and maybe not the 900 either. But the HEDD is a lot cheaper.

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #11,091 of 12,962
Best headphones with big bass but with some level of clarity under $500?

If you want closed back, the Fostex TR-X00 might be a good option for you. If open back interests you, and modding doesn't scare you, the Monoprice Monolith M1060C with the open back mod hit clean and hard with a bit of EQ. I'm a former SZ2000 owner, but I had to try and find something that tickled that basshead in me but also had better clarity and stage so I went and bought a bunch of planars from Audeze, HFM, and others and ended up loving my modded M1060's and M1060C's. I'm listening to Jelly Roll's new album right now on the M1060C's from my Monolith 887 amp and it sounds fantastic.

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #11,092 of 12,962
If you want closed back, the Fostex TR-X00 might be a good option for you. If open back interests you, and modding doesn't scare you, the Monoprice Monolith M1060C with the open back mod hit clean and hard with a bit of EQ. I'm a former SZ2000 owner, but I had to try and find something that tickled that basshead in me but also had better clarity and stage so I went and bought a bunch of planars from Audeze, HFM, and others and ended up loving my modded M1060's and M1060C's. I'm listening to Jelly Roll's new album right now on the M1060C's from my Monolith 887 amp and it sounds fantastic.
Interesting. Was already looking into the Fostex. Closed back is my preference since the wife is not a huge fun of listening along with my music.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #11,093 of 12,962
Hello everyone!

If you have been following the JVC SZ impressions thread, then you will know what happened to my cherished cans. We all fall victim to the hinge snapping eventually. A little duct tape to hold them together, but they arn't what they once were. :sob:

What I needed was a replacement set of cans that could produce as close to the amount of bass as possible, that the JVC's produced, but for less then 200 dollars. Someone responded some time ago and recommended the Vmoda Crossfade LP2's. So I looked at some video reviews on Youtube, and they were getting some high marks from many. I just wanted to let you guys know that I ordered the Vmoda Crossfade LP2's, and I also bought a pair of leather replacement pads for them.

What are your guys's opinions of the LP2's, after owning and using them for years?
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-lp2

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #11,094 of 12,962
Hello everyone!

If you have been following the JVC SZ impressions thread, then you will know what happened to my cherished cans. We all fall victim to the hinge snapping eventually. A little duct tape to hold them together, but they arn't what they once were. :sob:

What I needed was a replacement set of cans that could produce as close to the amount of bass as possible, that the JVC's produced, but for less then 200 dollars. Someone responded some time ago and recommended the Vmoda Crossfade LP2's. So I looked at some video reviews on Youtube, and they were getting some high marks from many. I just wanted to let you guys know that I ordered the Vmoda Crossfade LP2's, and I also bought a pair of leather replacement pads for them.

What are your guys's opinions of the LP2's, after owning and using them for years?
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-lp2

IMO, The stock tuning does not really have much bass impact. Also the 3.5khz peak is irritating. Some EQ / amping / bass boost is needed to make it sound nice. I did not like the XL pads, they make the soundstage larger but reduce the bass impact even more. So for my intended genre - rap / hip-hop I like and use the stock pads. I feel the original LP would have suited me better because of its more desirable stock tuning in the absence of EQ or bass boost, but amping would still be needed I guess.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,095 of 12,962
IMO, The stock tuning does not really have much bass impact. Also the 3.5khz peak is irritating. Some EQ / amping / bass boost is needed to make it sound nice. I did not like the XL pads, they make the soundstage larger but reduce the bass impact even more. So for my intended genre - rap / hip-hop I like and use the stock pads. I feel the original LP would have suited me better because of its more desirable stock tuning in the absence of EQ or bass boost, but amping would still be needed I guess.

Thanks Conrad!

As it turns out, I am already an avid amper and equalizer, its because I have already had to do that for my JVC cans, so it shouldn't be a problem. And I was paying attention to reviews regarding the impact of the Vmoda XL replacement pads, and how they alter the sound. Good news is, I didn't go with those pads, I actually went for these pads, which are cheaper anyways, and seem to be getting some good reviews. Of course, pictures are worth a thousand words on that site lol.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0735CV1ML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for sharing your experience! :L3000:

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #11,096 of 12,962
I just wanted to let everybody know that my V-moda LP2 headphones came, and I will be doing a review for them with pictures, once I have had a chance to put them through their paces, and get through the break-in period as well. I did find that the high frequencies were lacking IMO, so I got them razed to +8DB, and I kept the sub bass range at +10DB, that I was using for my old cans. While watching Youtube video's, I took issue with my V-Moda's making men sound like their grapes were shriveled up, so I also razed the upper bass range +4DB.

I am powering these cans off of a Fiio A5 amp, and while I was using bass boost with my old cans, I had to turn it off for the V-moda's, as it was over-powering the mids.

I am using a custom Ivanky cable, not the V-moda one, and its doing a great job. The pads I ordered from the Amazon link were defective. Thankfully, they understood and refunded my money without forcing me to go through the pain of trying to return them during a pandemic crisis! Amazon was out of stock on the V-moda official brand of XL pads, so I went to Ebay and just ordered them there.

My full review is pending...

IMG_1479.JPG

May 9, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #11,099 of 12,962
I was looking at an Amazon review for the AKG K371, and the lead review mentions that it tends to muddy all the ranges especially the bass range. But he also mentions how he likes the sound of his AKG K702's much better. But I think its important to note, that the K702's are an open back reference can that costs 260 dollars, and over 300 dollars for the PRO version. He's comparing an open backed reference can, to a closed back non-reference can. I think his ears are used to open back reference and since conditioned that way, he can't handle anything else perhaps.

They don't seem to sell the Fostex TH900MKI anymore, Fostex TH900MK2 seems to be where its at. I suppose the general consensus for these cans, is that people like them. Apparently it runs off of Tesla coils for the drivers, hope we all don't get electrocuted. And also apparently, they are Japanese made, which I didn't know before. But there like a 1600 dollar can on Amazon, so its not something your average consumer is going to be able to afford. I would put these can's in the obvious rich person's class. lol

May 10, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #11,100 of 12,962
Having owned both the th900 and the th00 purple hearts id say save the money and just find some ph's

The difference in sound and bass is negligible and not worth the extra price.
Now in my on personal opinion once you reach a certain price point with headphones there are diminishing returns past that point.

Much like how it is with buying bikes or upgrading graphics cards or phones each year. At some point the value the product brings doesn't justify the cost compared to the previous year or lower model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back