The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #11,026 of 12,970
Need recommendation. Under $187 USD the hardest hitting bass headphones (NO AMP preferred)

My previous headphones are sennheiser Hd558, and I love the open back

Kind of important for the headphones to be portable, so they can fit in bag for travel, etc.

Looking at
WS1100iS right now but i dont know if its what i need. i dont care about audiophile mids/whatever i just want goodest bass, like HD 558 but like 90000000x more bass

I have Sony
MDR-XB450AP but they do not hit hard enough and the other frequencies sound pretty bad on them comared to hd558
Need recommendation. Under $187 USD the hardest hitting bass headphones (NO AMP preferred)

Kind of important for the headphones to be portable, so they can fit in bag for travel, etc.

Looking at
WS1100iS right now but i dont know if its what i need. i dont care about audiophile mids/whatever i just want goodest bass, like HD 558 but like 90000000x more bass

I have Sony
MDR-XB450AP but they do not hit hard enough and the other frequencies sound pretty bad on them comared to hd558
if I was you Would be giving Sony wh-xb900n a chance, highs and mids are great and the bass will kick your teeths out :) 30 hours battery with bluetooth (you can also use them wired)
Think you can get them for under 150$ on Amazon. I love mine, use them for all kinds of music and they are awesome for movies.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #11,027 of 12,970

Looking at

I have Sony
ok i bought ws1100is but i am going to sell them now, i just looked at amazon reviews and their rating has deteriorated; looks like plastic is breaking for people.

i have hd500s and they are still going strong 15 years now; although i dont wear them that often.

i find bass is more about boosting it, than buying the right headphones. you want to buy headphones that wont break.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #11,028 of 12,970
I wanna check out the Audio Technica ATH WS770iS , mostly for hip hop/rap and some electronic music. Would I be happy without an amp, I am using a Ibasso DX150 with the amp6 on it. Would also wonder about a compatible cable that terminates to 2.5mm so I can use balance if possible. Should I amp or not, if I needed one, what would be a good one, that wont break the bank? Or should I look at something better?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #11,029 of 12,970
hi guys im lost!

im looking to buy a modded with detachable cable audio technica art monitor like a a990 closed back or similar.

can someone show me the way?

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #11,030 of 12,970
After spending silly money to upgrade, i found out that what i needed was a downgrade.
Having grown up listening to the sony house sound, I bough ta JVC HA RX700, Beyerdynamic COPS, Taction Kannon (from this list) and they all sucked
After posting elsewhere - mentioning that the sony MDR XD200 and XB50 was sort of the sound i liked, and seeing the recommends for the MDR XB950AP, i ordered one, and I can confirm that this is indeed the headphone i was looking for. Especially after adding a Bass Traveler, this is all i need!

Using a bass traveller and an amp was beginning to get pretty tiresome for office use. I saw the crusher wireless on sale during black friday for $79, and ordered it, and was blown away by the bass. Granted, its much lower quality than the Taction kannon, but the quantity was unbelievable. A lot of older songs which would need a heavy dose of EQ otherwise just needed me to turn the slider up. The XB950AP had much better bass. Then after reading a lot of comparisons with the XB950 Wireless, i figured it was worth trying one. Initially I thought I'd get a broken hinge version and fix it up, but then ultimately found a fully working piece with just earpads missing. I had already bought some extra earpads for the wired 950, so I was covered there. $35 later, I have a fully functional XB950N1. The bass is not the same "pumped up to steroids" level as the Crusher wireless, but its more organic and sounds like its part of the music, while the crusher bass feels like it was tacked on. But then again, the Crusher does help for some older recordings with weak bass which need a lot of boost.

On an other note, I tried the V moda Crossfade (not sure which one) at the best buy magnolia room, and the sony WH1000XM (not sure if 2 or 3) but neither came close to the bass of these 2. In my opinion, these are the "mega bang in a reasonably priced can" winners for me. both have their uses, and get used depending on the type of music I am listening to

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #11,031 of 12,970
Using a bass traveller and an amp was beginning to get pretty tiresome for office use. I saw the crusher wireless on sale during black friday for $79, and ordered it, and was blown away by the bass. Granted, its much lower quality than the Taction kannon, but the quantity was unbelievable. A lot of older songs which would need a heavy dose of EQ otherwise just needed me to turn the slider up. The XB950AP had much better bass. Then after reading a lot of comparisons with the XB950 Wireless, i figured it was worth trying one. Initially I thought I'd get a broken hinge version and fix it up, but then ultimately found a fully working piece with just earpads missing. I had already bought some extra earpads for the wired 950, so I was covered there. $35 later, I have a fully functional XB950N1. The bass is not the same "pumped up to steroids" level as the Crusher wireless, but its more organic and sounds like its part of the music, while the crusher bass feels like it was tacked on. But then again, the Crusher does help for some older recordings with weak bass which need a lot of boost.

On an other note, I tried the V moda Crossfade (not sure which one) at the best buy magnolia room, and the sony WH1000XM (not sure if 2 or 3) but neither came close to the bass of these 2. In my opinion, these are the "mega bang in a reasonably priced can" winners for me. both have their uses, and get used depending on the type of music I am listening to

Hmm, I'm weary of the XB950N1, but it looks like the upgraded model of one that looks just like it. In that one the bass was there, but the sound signature was weak and muddy overall. If Sony have cleaned up the sound in these relatively newer ones then it could be interesting.
I do like the Crushers - they're like the number one cheap fun cans when it comes to bass. Yeah it's artificial, but the feeling makes you not care >=D

Sony WH-1000XM3s can do some pretty nice bass, but you struggle to get volume wirelessly and are limited with EQ. When they're wired, they're pretty nice though - however, it's not extreme. My V-Moda M100s with XL pads, power (iFi iDSD Micro BL) and EQ (APO Equaliser + Peace plugin) is still my number one. I suspect you may have tried the Crossfade Wireless or the Crossfade Wireless 2, which don't really have that visceral sound - although most of these cans don't sound amazing bass wise outta the box - they need that power and EQ.

Nice post, thanks for the update.

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #11,032 of 12,970

at least you recgonize the quality problems of the xb950.

i am selling my ws1100is because of lesser quality problems but problems nevertheless

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #11,033 of 12,970
So it’s 2020 now, which is the best deep bass headphone money can buy? Sorry I didn’t read through the 736 pages. LOL.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #11,034 of 12,970
In the past I bought the Sony Xb 950. It's good if you want bass without a portable amp. The Electric Bass exciter button only works in bluetooth. But I doesn't like how response, for me isn't good sounding bass compared with other cans even without an amp. Amp's are cheap, and worth it.
A good budget friendly option is a Dac/amp with smartphone.

You can't never reach basshead levels without one, just saying for the previous comments that I read. Now I'm more interested in Iem's :p

My old M100 abused from years and continue with solid sound:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #11,036 of 12,970
The list on page one is still relevant. SZ2000 is still the top dog in regards to impact and slam.

oh wow.. still the legend.. I will try to find one sz2k :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #11,037 of 12,970
oh wow.. still the legend.. I will try to find one sz2k :)
They are from time to time still available for under $300, but otherwise they are only a every once in a blue moon type of headphone. They also have to have Eq and amp to hurt you. Quite expensive now for just a bass king because the area where the Kelton subwoofer is cut and the little 30mm driver takes over is an incoherent mess imo. Mids are overly thick and warm for most folks.

Their baby brother the sz1k is virtually the exact some headphone with only the exclusion of a brass tube. Not sure how difficult it would be to get a metal tube of some kind to replace the brass one that is in the 2k, but sz1k is still under $200.
db_stream_diag_02.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #11,038 of 12,970
They are from time to time still available for under $300, but otherwise they are only a every once in a blue moon type of headphone. They also have to have Eq and amp to hurt you. Quite expensive now for just a bass king because the area where the Kelton subwoofer is cut and the little 30mm driver takes over is an incoherent mess imo. Mids are overly thick and warm for most folks.

Their baby brother the sz1k is virtually the exact some headphone with only the exclusion of a brass tube. Not sure how difficult it would be to get a metal tube of some kind to replace the brass one that is in the 2k, but sz1k is still under $200.

The only down side is the build, I happened to watch some YouTube video and is blogger shows how “squiky” this sz2000 can be, many of times look and sounded like the headband can break easily.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #11,039 of 12,970
The only down side is the build, I happened to watch some YouTube video and is blogger shows how “squiky” this sz2000 can be, many of times look and sounded like the headband can break easily.

The only weak points of the 2 JVC headphones are the swivel. In the JVC SZ1000 SZ2000 thread there is a guy who linked his 3d printed replacements for a small fee. Outside of the swivels the things are built like tanks. There are big and beefy. Also In my case they don't get much play. Maybe a few times a year is all. Maybe they will get more play when I decide to put together a home system that can push them hard enough to kill me. Until then though they are just brutally effing violent when EQ'd and amped and I have to tell ya, Its not something I can do all the time so mine have held up remarkably well over the past 5 years.

Also, I just saw a pair of the SZ1000's on EBAY used from JAPAN for $100. Since I have the SZ2000 I don't know how much more the 2k's hit then the 1k's, but the 1k's are still on the list so might be a cheaper option and a better cost for performance then the used 2k's which are $300ish

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back