The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 14, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #8,926 of 12,970

I've never heard magnetic planars before...but mentioned that the HE400 do "slam" (if I remember correctly).  In your opinion, are open magnetic planars capable of hitting hard enough to satisfy basshead?

I wouldn't describe it as a slam, and I don't think it moves paper.  However, the clarity, accuracy, detail, and fullness of the sound make the low end just incredibly pleasurable to me.  It's just sooo... gorgeous, I really have a hard time describing it.  It's like the extreme opposite of muddy, the definition and speed of the headphones make things just sound incredible.

It took me a bit to adjust to the sound signature, and I'm not sure if it was through burn in or brain burn in, but once it clicked it's just awesome.

Mimby just arrived so I'll be giving that a good round of listening this afternoon!

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #8,927 of 12,970

Oh yes, the new Denon's, I had my eye on those for a while.  I think a lot more impressions should be starting to pop up, I'll have to check back in on them.  Can they push paper?

L3000.gif
SPoken like a true basshead .

I like its look and i was quite surprised by its intro price. I mean they could've easily asked over 1k riding on the 2k/5k/7k popularity and pleas for return.

Good for DENON

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #8,928 of 12,970
  I put together a little playlist so you can press play and crank the bass! Save the post link for later if ya want.

These are not ultimate basshead tracks; just some random songs I like. For ideal results, use different EQ settings depending on the music. As we all know, some YouTube links suck. If you want to hear what the tracks really sound like, you'll need to use the original lossless files with audiophile headphones. It should go without saying that some of the rap tracks are NSFW.

It'd be sweet to get a collaborative Spotify playlist going.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #8,929 of 12,970
Hi all,just checking in regarding my "portable" setup after about 1 year.

Jvc ha-sz2000 cans with brainwavz pads
Fiio Mont blanc amp
LG v20 source
JetAudio + plugins audio app

Could not be happier! 3+ hrs a day, 5 days a week and only faint tinnitus to show for it haha.

Big thanks to all contributors over the thread.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #8,930 of 12,970
:L3000: SPoken like a true basshead .

I like its look and i was quite surprised by its intro price. I mean they could've easily asked over 1k riding on the 2k/5k/7k popularity and pleas for return.

Good for DENON

Oh yes, bass is much better felt than heard. I hope o haven't had any hearing loss from an infection though...playing titanfall 2 with my SZs, I can feel them shaking the low low freqiencies with inaudible noise...

But yeah. Good to see another contender for the "hifi low end boy" category at an "affordable" price. All the better if it turns out to be a cannon!

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #8,931 of 12,970
Hi all,just checking in regarding my "portable" setup after about 1 year.

Jvc ha-sz2000 cans with brainwavz pads
Fiio Mont blanc amp
LG v20 source
JetAudio + plugins audio app

Could not be happier! 3+ hrs a day, 5 days a week and only faint tinnitus to show for it haha.

Big thanks to all contributors over the thread.

I have also noticed a bit of ringing or to word it another way it sounds like a tv noise is there (those old tube tv) when i take headphones off. So its a little trippy. I feel im in too deep though. Also i read, and Tyll mentioned in Home Theatre review tinnitus can seem worse if you focus on it (psychological effects) but check for yourself. Anyway it doesn't sound pleasant, so stay safe and yeah lol
Oh yes, bass is much better felt than heard. I hope o haven't had any hearing loss from an infection though...playing titanfall 2 with my SZs, I can feel them shaking the low low freqiencies with inaudible noise...

But yeah. Good to see another contender for the "hifi low end boy" category at an "affordable" price. All the better if it turns out to be a cannon!

Yes i look forward to the impressions/tests etc
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #8,932 of 12,970
Does anybody in this group happen to know of any harder hitting (Or at least something with decent bass) headphones that have an automatic adjusting headband (Similar to the Fidelio X2, 688B, etc) 

I've got Fidelio X2's and they just aren't working for me. Thanks. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #8,933 of 12,970
  Does anybody in this group happen to know of any harder hitting (Or at least something with decent bass) headphones that have an automatic adjusting headband (Similar to the Fidelio X2, 688B, etc) 

I've got Fidelio X2's and they just aren't working for me. Thanks. 

All the headphones with automatically-adjusting headbands that I have owned (like the NightHawk & AD700) don't hit hard.

It only takes a few moments to adjust headbands to your head. Most of the time you never have to do it again. And if you're lucky, a headphone will fit you perfectly at the default setting. (As is the case with me and the SZ2000.)

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #8,934 of 12,970
...I feel im in too deep though. Also i read, and Tyll mentioned in Home Theatre review tinnitus can seem worse if you focus on it (psychological effects)...

Yep in dead silence I hear it but all it takes is some wind outside or another subtle noise and i don't hear it anymore... Or do but tune it out. It doesn't bother me which plays a big part.

This is after phone on 60% vol (40% eq gain) and amp on full vol and +16 gain for a year so pretty good considering. Maybe low end tinnitus is really bad but its too low to make a "ring" haha

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #8,935 of 12,970
That's unfortunately been my issue as well. It's more of a comfort thing for me than anything else. I spent HOURS wearing headphones daily.

I was actually suggested the Fidelio X2's and while they do have a somewhat punchy bass it's not at all on the level I am looking for. V-Moda M100's sound like they'd be a good fit for me sound wise...but I've heard a lot about them being uncomfortable. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #8,936 of 12,970
  That's unfortunately been my issue as well. It's more of a comfort thing for me than anything else. I spent HOURS wearing headphones daily.

I was actually suggested the Fidelio X2's and while they do have a somewhat punchy bass it's not at all on the level I am looking for. V-Moda M100's sound like they'd be a good fit for me sound wise...but I've heard a lot about them being uncomfortable. 

I can take pain, but V-MODA is too much for even me. XL pads are a minimum requirement.

What type of sound are you looking for?

Why do you really want a headband that automatically adjusts? Generally, if you adjust it once, you don't need to do it again.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #8,937 of 12,970

I can take pain, but V-MODA is too much for even me. XL pads are a minimum requirement.

What type of sound are you looking for?

Why do you really want a headband that automatically adjusts? Generally, if you adjust it once, you don't need to do it again.

That'd be a deal breaker for me for sure. If the headphones aren't going to be comfortable I won't be able to wear them. 

I like the automatic adjustments for ease of use and comfort. It's been my personal experience that they tend to have just the right amount of clamping force and weight for my head. 

I'm looking for a sound that'd best suit Hip-Hop and Rap music first and foremost. I want good bass but I don't want the cans to have terrible sound quality in all other departments. Preferably something that leans more towards hip-hop, rap and EDM/Electronic music but isn't terrible for other genres as well. 

I mainly use headphones for listening to music, talking in discord and gaming every so often. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #8,938 of 12,970

Might I suggest to you the Audio Technica ATH-WS770iS. It's a semi-open headphone that hits harder than the V-Moda M100 (with amp), has a better soundstage, and is super lightweight and comfortable as well with some HM5 pads added to them. I haven't had to adjust very often either. Plus they are only $130.00 at Amazon. I owned the M100's with the XL pads and they were still torturous. Not something you'd want to wear for hours a day.

My ATH-WS770iS with brown HM5 pads:

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #8,939 of 12,970
  That'd be a deal breaker for me for sure. If the headphones aren't going to be comfortable I won't be able to wear them. 

I like the automatic adjustments for ease of use and comfort. It's been my personal experience that they tend to have just the right amount of clamping force and weight for my head. 

I'm looking for a sound that'd best suit Hip-Hop and Rap music first and foremost. I want good bass but I don't want the cans to have terrible sound quality in all other departments. Preferably something that leans more towards hip-hop, rap and EDM/Electronic music but isn't terrible for other genres as well. 

I mainly use headphones for listening to music, talking in discord and gaming every so often. 

Auto-adjusting headbands, clamping force, weight...all those are different things. Though I'll admit the auto types do tend to be very comfortable, there are plenty of comfortable headphones without auto-adjustment.

Best suiting rap...good bass...not terrible sound...all those things can mean different things to different people. Can you be more specific?

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #8,940 of 12,970

I use my M-100s + xl pads at the Gym! super comfort on an active body and works really well. My only gripe is the sweat I have to clean off them at the end - but comfort wise they are perfect.

In terms of fit to me - My head is EXTRA LARGE. I.E a snapback hat I have only 2 bits holding it on the "snap". Would the m100s grip onto a smaller head the same?.. im not sure, but even the grip on my massive noggin is very comfortable. Without the XL pads - I couldn't wear them for more than 20 mins even just sitting still.

There is also a sound stage change with XL pads. Bass hits a little softer but the stage opens up massively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back