The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 29, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #8,611 of 12,963
Picked up some used MDR-Z7, I expected they weren't basshead from this thread already but seriously... I think my porta pros might hit harder
blink.gif
, seems like such a waste with that 70mm driver!

I'm putting them on the list... http://rapsandhustles.com/2011/03/03/ghostface-killah-top-10-softest-rappers-in-the-game/

I wonder if they need a crazy amount of power or something.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #8,612 of 12,963
I wonder if they need a crazy amount of power or something.

Could be? Pretty easy set to drive but I only have 1000mW- it isn't so much that the frequencies aren't there, its just some of the softest/most diffuse bass I have ever heard, even w/ EQ. There's a 20 page z7 mods thread though, supposedly some of those tighten up the midbass flatten out overall response- but I'm dubious they would hit because it would be like a 180 degree turnaround from the stock sound.

Otherwise they're a nice & relaxed listen, if I decide to hold onto them longterm, might give the mods a go

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #8,613 of 12,963
Could be? Pretty easy set to drive but I only have 1000mW- it isn't so much that the frequencies aren't there, its just some of the softest/most diffuse bass I have ever heard, even w/ EQ. There's a 20 page z7 mods thread though, supposedly some of those tighten up the midbass flatten out overall response- but I'm dubious they would hit because it would be like a 180 degree turnaround from the stock sound.

Otherwise they're a nice & relaxed listen, if I decide to hold onto them longterm, might give the mods a go

Metallic coated drivers. Sony is a Hit and Miss org. Aren't they all though.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #8,614 of 12,963
Could be? Pretty easy set to drive but I only have 1000mW- it isn't so much that the frequencies aren't there, its just some of the softest/most diffuse bass I have ever heard, even w/ EQ.

Reminds me of the AudioQuest NightHawk. Has five to ten decibels of bass boost even without EQ, but the entire sound signature is overly soft and smooth regardless of EQ. Feels like I'm getting attacked by feathers. haha

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #8,615 of 12,963
I'm an owner of the Yamaha Pro 500's, and I've had mine for almost 3yrs now. What others have said is true, they sound amazing overall and they absolutely SLAM. The only set I have heard that hits harder are my SZ2K's. But the 500's do it with ease. They don't need tons of power, and they don't need huge EQ boosts to slam. They are one of the best overall sounding headphones I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. The bass is very responsive and fast on them as well, so I'd imagine that would be great for metal. 

Their only downfall is comfort. If you have big ears, the stock pads can be a bit small. That was the only issue I've ever had with them. But for some, that can be a deal breaker. But for overall sound quality and bass impact, they are the REAL DEAL. They without a doubt hit harder than my TH-X00's, and hit about 80% as hard as my SZ2K's. Very impressive cans. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #8,616 of 12,963
I looked into the Pro 500's before I got the SZ2k's and if I remember correctly I read that the Brainwavz HM5 pads could be used on them. That would negate the large ear/comfort issue.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #8,617 of 12,963
Nah, you're good. Headphones see a lot of mileage and can be expensive so it's good to be picky and get something that really does it for you.

I wish I could tell you more about them, but I won't get a set until I need a portable set. But I did hear that they hit harder than thx00, and at about 80% of sz2k without a lot of amping or eq needed.

Not sure if the pads are replaceable or not, but my source on them did say comfort is one thing they're lacking.

Plastic like that is a bit scary too. I started basshead life with beats studio about 7 years ago. Similar build of course, but I'd put a lot more trust into the yamaha durability. They make dirtbikes after all haha. Any way, the build quality and comfort on those beats were absolute $h1t, but I didn't know any better. The headband cracked in a year or so.

I forgot if/what you said about amping and eq. Thats why i said pro500 initially...

But if it's possible for you, I'd also go for sz1k, hm5 pleather pads, and a cayin c5. Should be pretty close price wise to your budget and big and comfy.

That would literally be almost double my budget, sorry, I have at max 270(ish) bucks in total. My original plan was to spend what I can on the headphones themselves, because at the moment I can't squeeze in more room for an amp too.

I saw on Amazon that the Custom Studio (169US)  is going for less than Custom ONE plus (199US), and well you can check for yourself, but i would imagine that would be much wiser. Probably not basshead, but from reviews somewhere close to 80Ohm  770s (which i think are great)

Why wouldn't I go straight for the 770 80 then?

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #8,618 of 12,963
I am going to second all the people who have suggested spending 100-150 on a headphone so you can afford a cheap but good amp too. It really makes a difference. You'll get much better performance than spending more on something that requires no amp.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #8,619 of 12,963
That would probably make my life easier.

Also maybe my budget is confusing to people, because things cost a bit more here because of import fees and such, sorry about that. The 770.80, COP and MT220 are all perfectly affordable though. The PRO500 I simply can't afford.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #8,620 of 12,963
  That would probably make my life easier.

Also maybe my budget is confusing to people, because things cost a bit more here because of import fees and such, sorry about that. The 770.80, COP and MT220 are all perfectly affordable though. The PRO500 I simply can't afford.

Can you get the JVC SZ1000. If so is it in budget.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #8,621 of 12,963

Why wouldn't I go straight for the 770 80 then?

Well you could defo go for the 770.80 if you wanted to. I think its more a music lover's can than an "audiophile" grade. Seems the custom studio according to this gentleman, who seems quite knowledgeable, that its based off a 770.80, but with a few more features. What features? Well sir, watch the video, and see what he has to say! :)

happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back