The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #11,341 of 12,970
@OldDude04 Cough Cough *Starts modding it for others silently*

I don't know about that... I was pretty damn nervous cutting into the mahogany cups. I'd be extra nervous being responsible for someone else's cups. I doubt I would have done it to mine it I didn't have some rosewood cups to put on if I'd messed up, lol.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #11,342 of 12,970
I stopped getting notifications to this thread for some reason, maybe a glitch?

From what I can tell- If you don't click on new post notification when it appears, you stop getting alerts from that thread until you visit the thread again or until after a few days of not visiting the forum (idk if you have to be logged out or not).

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #11,343 of 12,970
How feasible would it be to swap the drivers in my old HD 595's and possibly make them closed back? They must be at least 15 years old, the pads are torn, and only one driver works at the moment, although I'm sure it's just the wiring. Meze 99 drivers possibly?

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #11,344 of 12,970
From what I can tell- If you don't click on new post notification when it appears, you stop getting alerts from that thread until you visit the thread again or until after a few days of not visiting the forum (idk if you have to be logged out or not).

Ahh, that could have been it! Life gets busy sometimes and we forget to click, then there goes our notifications down the toilet. OOPS lol

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #11,345 of 12,970
Ok. What are your favourite basshead headphones?
And the v moda m 100 today worth the pain?
The M-100 is a decently-built headphone, with a sizeable mid-bass hump. If you're shopping for basshead-friendly cans within its price range, they are a relatively safe choice. For just a little bit extra, you can also consider the Meze 99 Classics.

My favourite basshead headphone is the Fostex TH900 Mk2. A true champion in the "v-shaped" category.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #11,346 of 12,970
It's not really a recommendation I guess because you can't go buy it off the shelf, but I just recently open back modded my TH-X00 and they hit as hard if not harder than they did closed back. I'm loving them right now. The stage and instrument separation is crazy.

In progress pics:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
2020-07-07.jpg

Finished product:
2020-07-09.jpg
Wow, that looks fantastic!

Honestly, the grills look a lot better than the ones on the TH909. Fostex should take some design inspirations from you, IMO. :)

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #11,347 of 12,970
The M-100 is a decently-built headphone, with a sizeable mid-bass hump. If you're shopping for basshead-friendly cans within its price range, they are a relatively safe choice. For just a little bit extra, you can also consider the Meze 99 Classics.

My favourite basshead headphone is the Fostex TH900 Mk2. A true champion in the "v-shaped" category.

Ok, but in my country i can get the v-moda for around 89 bucks and the meze for 269.

If you don't mind the question how much did it cost the Th 900?

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #11,349 of 12,970
Ok, but in my country i can get the v-moda for around 89 bucks and the meze for 269.

Thanks!

The price in Italy are:
VModa M100 € 246
VModa M100 master € 229
Meze 99 classics € 299
Fostex th900 mk2 € 2.227.....

IMO go for the VModa! :wink:

(Meze are very very nice cans)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #11,350 of 12,970

Thanks!
I see. Then it's a simple choice - go for the M-100. For 90 dollars, they are practically a steal. Good sound, good looks, good build. All for less than a 100. :)

The TH900 Mk2's MSRP is $1,600; you can find them routinely discounted by a couple of hundred dollars on occasion, though. If you have the opportunity, give them a try.

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #11,351 of 12,970
I see. Then it's a simple choice - go for the M-100. For 90 dollars, they are practically a steal. Good sound, good looks, good build. All for less than a 100. :)

The TH900 Mk2's MSRP is $1,600; you can find them routinely discounted by a couple of hundred dollars on occasion, though. If you have the opportunity, give them a try.

Im sorry. I have explained myself wrong. I wanted to know how much you paid for the fostex. Thank you

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #11,352 of 12,970
For 100$, i would never consider any other headphone than Vmoda M100. Go buy it, while you can :D

@Malevolent How would you rate CAL2 vs. CAL, since you did put CAL on that list?

Can anyone recommend headphone with strong mid bass (60-100Hz), crunchy midrange and highs that are not emphasized, basically _/\___ headphone :D :D
Oh, yes, the Aurvana Live! 2; I totally forgot about them. I found the revision to be a less engaging version of the original, but with a stronger low-end presence. Bass thump is more prominent, but they somehow sounded a little smoother throughout. As I listen almost exclusively to dance music, I preferred the CAL! to its successor. Both have very good low-end presentations, though.

I'll be adding them to the list, along with a couple of headphones that I missed the first time around. Thanks for reminding me about this low-priced, yet decent offering in the basshead space. :)

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #11,354 of 12,970
I love my V-Moda Crossfade LP2's, so I have no doubt that you will love the V-Moda Crossfade M100. However, I feel that it is really important to let you know, that V-Moda headphones stock are not really comfortable.

Google search Wicked Cushions Pads For V-Moda Headphones, go to their site link, and order a pair there. It is the #1 mod you should do to them. You can find video's on Youtube to show you how to replace the pads, its easy.

Also, the #2 important thing you should do, is get a headband cover for them, I have the kind you secure using the zipper. It provides some cushioning that is much needed for the headband.

And lastly, when your headphones arrive, please take pictures and share. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back