The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #46 of 12,963

Single dynamic headphone drivers tend to distort quite a bit in the deep bass if they have a lot of bass tuned in to begin with. The main problem with the ED8s is that they are (or were) not consistent in their sound with each pair. If you go to e-earphone, for example to audition a pair, it would be best to audition a few pairs and find one with the sound you like best.  The Sig Pro and Sig DJ are better value to a degree, but still quite expensive.

I was NOT expecting much from them which goes to show how much pre conceptions can spoil a true 1st experience and having no expectations can be great.  I'm a basshead and these were just another expensive "gee these are expensive ..I can say I've tried em" 
My 1st experience was at e-earphones and they only had 1 ruthenium when I was there. The other was in Hiroshima. The 2nd time I was ready and they really blew my mind. The depth of the low end was down to audible threshold and 50Hz was able to be tuned to forceful levels. They apparently don't need an amp but don't mind one either. Titanium plated mylar drivers and whatever the hell triple bass port is..and a solid rear end housing...I wouldn't buy them because of the cost but this is a bass can list so they go on.

May 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #47 of 12,963
I was NOT expecting much from them which goes to show how much pre conceptions can spoil a true 1st experience and having no expectations can be great.  I'm a basshead and these were just another expensive "gee these are expensive ..I can say I've tried em" 
My 1st experience was at e-earphones and they only had 1 ruthenium when I was there. The other was in Hiroshima. The 2nd time I was ready and they really blew my mind. The depth of the low end was down to audible threshold and 50Hz was able to be tuned to forceful levels. They apparently don't need an amp but don't mind one either. Titanium plated mylar drivers and whatever the hell triple bass port is..and a solid rear end housing...I wouldn't buy them because of the cost but this is a bass can list so they go on.
well, if you ever win the lottery... Heck, if i ever win the lottery, I'll send you one. Lol. So, basically, never. :D you sir are awesome to have tried this many headphones to see if they have hidden potential. How many more headphones have these abilities i wonder!

May 15, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #48 of 12,963
So wait... Beats pro's slam harder than the 55's? That doesn't seem correct. 50mm vs 40mm driver. Dual bass ports vs whatever beats have. They really do Hawaii?

May 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #49 of 12,963
So wait... Beats pro's slam harder than the 55's? That doesn't seem correct. 50mm vs 40mm driver. Dual bass ports vs whatever beats have. They really do Hawaii?

The 55x suffer from a full plastic housing that causes reflections/echoes before distortion is reached. I actually blew my 55x
frown.gif
. The harder housing of the Pro's and superior driver make it a better can. 

The 55'x made me ditch my Studio because they dug deeper and hit harder but my Pro's hit harder than the 55x but not as deep or as low as the 77x which is one of the many reasons I question price to bass performance in many headphones.
The 55x are cheap and great entry level basshead cans but that's it.

May 15, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #50 of 12,963
Hmm... 77x's here I come!

May 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #51 of 12,963
Well, I might blow my 55's out! Stay tuned great Hawaii!

May 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #53 of 12,963
I have my last finals today. Was too busy for my bass responsibilities in here. I'll still be terribly busy for the next week. I was going to chronicle in here your awesome Japan posts Hawaii but I see you've already created a separate thread and added so much more incredibly fantastic stuff.

You weren't kidding about rock music. It does feel like 1000 hooves smacking your face. Jvc's be shaking to high hell. I have it well above regular volumes, and these 55's are giving me a massage equivalent to a lot of rap. Just needed to boost that bass 30+ decibels on my player, then +6 db on amp... That's crazy as hell.

My extreme bass setup is a general solution with rapid double pedal drumming in mind. I love the depth, the impact, the overall timbre of the industry standard hip-hop kick tracks that I sought to reproduce that sound going 300BPM in a black metal blast beat. As with one-size-fits-all fixes, my setup fails in some rap tracks that already have extremely boosted bass, such as "Rah;" but for crazy double pedals it's perfect:

Judas Priest - Painkiller [Heavy Metal]
(Unedited) Listen to normal volume:

(Maximum Bass Extreme) Raise volume to +24dB :

BTW, ABOUT TIME you posted in here :) Thanks for standing up for Hawaii during our interrogation. That was hella rad, Dischord. I'd give you my 77X but I need the earpads. I can give them without the pads if you want lol. Just save up for an SZ2000, as I tried my 77X recently and, after getting so used to the depth and power of the SZ, the 77's just sound lacking.

May 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #54 of 12,963
Congrats on exam completion!

Just in time for what will go down in history as the most in-complete Top 10 list I will ever make but it's a reflection of time...time with cans...not enough time with more cans than anything else.
They all got the same hit or hits ............and I put the f__king 700MK2 on there
blink.gif
? They really do slam when amped proper. I musta tested damaged goods before?

anyway. Congrats on the Exams and the first Top 10

This calls for a celebration song..
Hmmm..
Something Musical and Irish 
deadhorse.gif

I got the perfect diddy!!
biggrin.gif

**reserved for @gelocks video**

P.S.
I told @DisCHORDDubstep  I'd gift him my 77's if he pays for shipping.

See you in the other thread...did you see that car in the living room?? 

May 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #55 of 12,963
How easy is it to blow a headphone testing bass to distortion (using sine waves)? In car audio it's next to impossible if you are not playing below tuning (if ported) and are not clipping; you can easily hear when the sub starts to distort and then back off. In fact that's the recommended method for gain setting.

May 16, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #56 of 12,963
  How easy is it to blow a headphone testing bass to distortion (using sine waves)? In car audio it's next to impossible if you are not playing below tuning (if ported) and are not clipping; you can easily hear when the sub starts to distort and then back off. In fact that's the recommended method for gain setting.

I don't listen to sine waves to test...maybe to check response but not to raise and stress. I did when I competed in IASCA events but for headphones I just found some clean hits that reflect good examples of low end stress using my preferred genre'. Then use the identical hit ,75% of the sz max ,and apply to other cans. Mylar and other materials tend to display distortion characteristics earlier than layered/coated ones. 40mm also can replicate an upper 90Hz hit very close before resonating/echoing which is distortion of the sound and maybe driver but it is altered signal reaching spec of design. 50mm seems to stave this off longer and are without question in my experience better at holding up against raised gain at 35-50Hz range

May 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #58 of 12,963
@Stereolab42 

What hardware and what settings?

I can boost the 45Hz+20dB

I can do a paper vibe test if you like?

30% more than what?....the Shure?

These are a hundred bucks and will kick your head. Good entry level cans.

Curious about your settings.
Opinions and percentages are vague for me. Help me out. Tell the settings and bass range boosted or show me the harder hitters. It would help me out
wink.gif

That hit is floating about 50Hz (sz in this vid but the hit is the same)

Note to others:

That 2nd vid is horrid in quality...my bad.
I'll do a paper vibe test on the 77's
Science says show me.....I say the same.
A vibe test isn't more than a display but it's displaying something. Something more than a word like "Cannon" or Face melt or another too often used word to desribe the delivery of low frequency sound.
Highs won't do this.
Lows will.
I'm a basshead. This is pretty good if the settings are shared and can be compared.
The rest is just words. 
Anybody can do that.
I am not linking to these cans because that is not my point.
The price and value of the product is between you and your wallet. I don't care to provoke anyone into buying anything.

This is about Bass.
These cans, regardless of price point can do that track at a high head thumping level. Some better than others but these 10 cans....can

This title says committee but in reality it's me. One set of ears and one rig and one track (sometimes 2) being played identically. It's a universal thump being applied universally.

If I had to debate this stuff it would be an endless circle. 
If anyone doubts my credentials just check my pics are ask for em'. I have heard most of the cans you know and have tested many on a portable rig.
Japan is great like that
"A" "B" comparisons.
The SZ are the bassline. 
There must be a baseline. A standard to compare to. They have weaknesses but low end response and amp ability are not among them. When a superior set is found they will become the bassline.

This is after all...all about the bass.

May 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #59 of 12,963

I'm using 

It has hits at 30,40,50,60,70,80,90Hz at varying points and the lowest one seems to be a omnipresent hum that keeps the paper going between appearances by the other hits.
I use regular laser printer A4 stock cut just larger than the pads. Hold 1 side down (usually the bottom being held by the opposing cup/pad

Flat 5 band eq, Mach3bass +8 BBE +10 Cowon at 34, e12 1/2 way. Not near distortion level

Holy shhhhhh!!!
Please tell me that you NEVER EVER LISTEN TO MUSIC at that volume! PLEASE! lol
I just listened to the song on the JVCs HP-DX700, NO EQ, NO BASS BOOST just PC --> Nuforce Icon HDP --> Burson Soloist SL and... I GOT A HEADACHE WITH ALL THAT RUMBLING BASS!! (I was laughing my arse off as well due to the tingling sensation on the ears! lol) Man!!!

May 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #60 of 12,963
Those particular settings
Cowon  = 34 Volume (leave it set and use amp as volume knob)
Jeteffects
5 Band EQ Flat
BBE+10
MACH3BASS +8

FiiO e12
+16dB Gain switch on
Bass boost on
Gain/Volume approx 50%

That's a good Universal THUMP
I leave the eq flat so the upper mids/highs are pretty intact so good cans with a nice sig keep their original sound aside from BBE processing. That's why it works on everything.
The JVC 77 have a hollow middle that you can hear in the vid but they are 100 plastic bass hammers. Everything else on the list actually sounds pretty good with most genre'

That is my default listening enviroment. Shake my head...make me smile...go do something else. Life is busy and I got no time for casual listening...not yet anyway
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back