The Happy State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
May 20, 2014 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Silverprout

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
Before all, i just want to say that all the content this post is highly subjective and full of mistakes.
During many years the only quality DAPs available everywhere were Apple ones.
Then Apple decides that the whole world is becoming tactile, and they stopped the technical evolution of their ipod classic.
Some earbuds and IEMs users were a little bit disappointed.
Then some little companies decided to build quality DAPs for them
ksc75smile.gif
(and be in accordance with the emergence of a new technology called Balanced-armature speakers)
This revolution needs his emblematic DAP ! (and we don't need a tactile screen instead of car steering wheel)

The result :
Apple Ipod Classic is big and has a mechanical hard drive in 2014.
Ibasso players are big are known to have a risk of ear damages.
Fiio players are big and not as ergonomic as expected and their UI is slow.

There is no good choice... but we have the choice
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 19
During many years the only quality DAPs available everywhere were Apple ones....

For many years the Apple SQ across their MP3's players wasn't great. Exception being the first shuffle. Only in later years did Apple put the effort in improving the sound quality for the head phone out on their products. 

I stopped reading after that....

May 20, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 19

For many years the Apple SQ across their MP3's players wasn't great. Exception being the first shuffle. Only in later years did Apple put the effort in improving the sound quality for the head phone out on their products. 

I stopped reading after that....

Don't be so sad, remember this is the happy topic and that the world is not only populated by rich people.
Any Apple DAP is far better than normal supermarket DAP (i never see any Sandisk DAP in any of my local store)
Remember, the past.. no internet.. no E-buisness.. even internet, no specialized forums
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Sad? Why? iPods are for the rich? They are not cheap products. 

I remember the market before the iPod. Diamond Rio, Creative Jukebox's. CD players with MP3 support, MiniDisc and HiMD. 

May 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 19
Yes, i try to be optimistic and "I stopped reading after that...." is not optimistic at all
biggrin.gif

Yes, ipods are for the rich (or for very enthusiastic people) and they were the only decent DAP choice available in my local stores.

May 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 19
biggrin.gif
Yes, you are right and i love fruits.
I live near a big city...my local supermarkets are big and numerous !
ONLY APPLE E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E.

The Happy State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market" .... in the 6th biggest city of France.

There is only one brand... but we have the choice
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 19
I must admit the thread title made me laugh, so I suppose that (in itself) is a "state of happiness".
biggrin.gif

When I compare my old Dell Axim X51V (from nine years ago) to today's devices, I see big noticeable improvements. Storage capability may not have improved much, but processing power is way better. The screen (and the quality of video) is way better. Internet access and streaming capability is off-the-charts better. The UI and OS stability is out-of-this-world better on today's devices.

The area that I can honestly say has not improved very much (in the devices that I've tried) in the last nine years (compared to that old Axim) is audio quality. Unlike all the other blatantly obvious improvements, you really have to sit in a quiet place (straining your ears) to tell yourself that the audio quality of today's devices is better than it was nine years ago.

But hey, I do tell myself that audio quality has improved and is improving, so I'm happy if you're happy.
wink_face.gif

May 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 19
  I must admit the thread title made me laugh, so I suppose that (in itself) is a "state of happiness".
biggrin.gif

When I compare my old Dell Axim X51V (from nine years ago) to today's devices, I see big noticeable improvements. Storage capability may not have improved much, but processing power is way better. The screen (and the quality of video) is way better. Internet access and streaming capability is off-the-charts better. The UI and OS stability is out-of-this-world better on today's devices.

The area that I can honestly say has not improved very much (in the devices that I've tried) in the last nine years (compared to that old Axim) is audio quality. Unlike all the other blatantly obvious improvements, you really have to sit in a quiet place (straining your ears) to tell yourself that the audio quality of today's devices is better than it was nine years ago.

But hey, I do tell myself that audio quality has improved and is improving, so I'm happy if you're happy.
wink_face.gif

You are right... to be happy
biggrin.gif

Some products improve absolutely all (apparently) :

700€
i'm so happy for the rich
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 19

You are right... to be happy
biggrin.gif

Some products improve absolutely all (apparently) :

700€
i'm so happy for the rich
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't call myself financially rich, but I did have the Sony ZX1 up until a few days ago when I returned it. It's nice. It's different. It has a nice soundstage (depending on how I wear my IEM eartips). I may revisit the ZX1 if it is eventually rooted and if the price drops. How much better it is –is debatable. It has its strengths and weaknesses. By the end of my time with it, I thought I had tweaked the Note 3 enough to actually sound a little better than the ZX1. The Note 3 was already better in the sub-bass, soundstage size, and treble regions (that is, only versus the Sony stock music player).

May 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 19

I wouldn't call myself financially rich, but I did have the Sony ZX1 up until a few days ago when I returned it. It's nice. It's different. It has a nice soundstage (depending on how I wear my IEM eartips). I may revisit the ZX1 if it is eventually rooted and if the price drops. How much better it is –is debatable. It has its strengths and weaknesses. By the end of my time with it, I thought I had tweaked the Note 3 enough to actually sound a little better than the ZX1. The Note 3 was already better in the sub-bass, soundstage size, and treble regions (that is, only versus the Sony stock music player).

The note 3 is big and has no physical buttons, IMHO the Sony is the best Hi-res DAP of the market.

May 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 19

Well actually, the Note 3 has 4 physical buttons (if you count volume up and down as 2 separate buttons).

How do you know the ZX1 is the best? Have you heard all the others including the AK240?

I think all these hi-end DAPs are good in SQ. (IEMs as well, different but ALL good)
The note 3 is absolutely too big, the Sony is a little too big and has no physical navigation buttons.
But is very well designed, the jack is on the bottom (no stupid 180° cable bending), all the controls are accessible by one thumb and their position is logic (center :play pause, high :forward, low :back)
You can do all essentials controls blind and there is a large very high quality screen to choose you album.
That DAP is intelligent from everywhere.
No one can compete...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back