The great Koss debate
May 24, 2005 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
After searching for canalphones to return my ipod to a portable setup, I ran into Jmmmmm, who suggested something 'new' to me - try headphones instead!

He originally suggested the ksc 35/75's, however now owning the Portapros and having owned the Sportapros, I'm not sure that the 35's/75's can outperform the portapros. Any comments?

May 24, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 17
Some discrepancies on fit/seal, but the sound is the same (differs abit on some because of the fit/seal).
So, it depends...

May 24, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 17
Having used the PP's, SP's and KSC's, I can concur that the main difference will be due to fit/'seal' with the KSC's hanging a bit looser on the ears thus causing a slight reduction in bass (which to me in this case is a good thing).
I imagine the different housing contributes to the difference as well.

I find I also prefer the KSC's regarding appearance, as well as the fact that the others are notorious for catching hair in their headband.

May 24, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Having used the PP's, SP's and KSC's, I can concur that the main difference will be due to fit/'seal' with the KSC's hanging a bit looser on the ears thus causing a slight reduction in bass (which to me in this case is a good thing).

I find I also prefer the KSC's regarding appearance, as well as the fact that the others are notorious for catching hair in their headband.

being a fairly bald man myself, hairs getting caught in headbands is not a problem
icon10.gif

on a side note, the portapros do have a lot of bass, and I do find the bass lingers a little too long.

May 24, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans

This pretty much sums it up for me... IMHO hte KSC75 is a bit more open sounding and balanced due to its slightly looser fit.

Garrett

May 24, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 17
I like my PP's, but not nearly as much as my KSC-35's.

May 24, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 17
a quick question... why the hell did I buy my PP's? Also, why does Koss tout the PP's as their portable flagship cans when they have better ones?

arghhhh.....

May 24, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 17
I think I suggested the ksc's for two reasons:
1. they are more portable than the portapro's, imo
2. i didn't realize you had portapros
tongue.gif

I still think they're great. I haven't heard the portapro's, though, so I can't comment on the difference.

Or, what about eggos?

May 24, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
I like my PP's, but not nearly as much as my KSC-35's.

A quick question, JB. would you choose the KSC-35's over your ety's (the ones you use for your Iriver)? Why/Why not?

O

May 24, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
I think I suggested the ksc's for two reasons:
1. they are more portable than the portapro's, imo
2. i didn't realize you had portapros
tongue.gif

I still think they're great. I haven't heard the portapro's, though, so I can't comment on the difference.

Or, what about eggos?

Never heard about Eggos, can you tell me more about these? Also, will all the headphones discussed compare in terms of detail and clarity, etc. (i.e. overall sound quality) with canal-phones?

thanks again Jmmmm.

O

May 24, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
A quick question, JB. would you choose the KSC-35's over your ety's (the ones you use for your Iriver)? Why/Why not?
O

I cannot give his answer, but I can give mine.
I love the ETY's, but there are times when I need LESS isolation (like when bicycle riding and desire to hear the cars just prior to being stricken down)
tongue.gif
In these cases I use the KSC
icon10.gif

Also, when I expect to be frequently encountering the need to converse . . . the ETY's require I remove one, then reinsert, while the KSC's a simple drop in volume is enough to allow me to converse.

However, when I am portable and serious listening is the goal, the Ety's and Xin Supermini come out.
etysmile.gif

May 24, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
O

Um, no.
If there were ever two headphones NOT to compare it would be these two. They fulfill entirely different needs for me and have very little in common (besides being two of the greatest headphones in the history of the world, imho).
I do regularly listen to both. The 35’s are my favorite all-around, throw-em-in-yer-pocket, workout, under-the-hat, I-sat-on-em-So-What? headphones. My Ety’s are my I-just-got-a-new-SACD, I want to be incapacitated by magic and ethereal music, forget my name, sing to me Billie, no-drugs-necessary headphones. If I had to pick only one to listen to, I would pick both.

May 24, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 17
I just recieved the Koss KSC75's, and recently sold my Sony D66 Eggo's.

I would say that the Koss' are a much better value considering price and audio performance.

The Eggo's fit great and I really like their styling, but the sound isn't that stunning for around $100. They seem to lack bass (even after the mod), but overall are a very flat sounding headphone. The Koss' fit isn't that great (I've never been a fan of earclip headphones), but the sound is very enjoyable. I seem MUCH more open (probably due to the loose fit), and the bass response is excellent. I think they are a much more enjoyable pair of heaphones for normal listening. I am currently trying to put the Koss driver's into a $10 pair of Eggphones (Eggo knock-offs) to get that Eggo fit, and Koss sound, BUT the driver is a little too large, and will take some more modification than I originally thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back