The Great Global Warming a.k.a "Climate Change" Thread and The "Science" Behind It...... Conspiracy Theory or Fact???
Mar 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

sfwalcer

Master Troll
Ok, people bring the heat!!! It's open for discussion.
beerchug.gif

Since most people have seen "The Inconvenient Truth" i don't have to link it here.

But not everyone has seen the direct rebuttal to that film, which is aptly titled "The Great Global Warming Swindle" as seen here:

This is truTVs take on the topic in "Conspiracy Theory" with Jesse Ventura.

And last but not least is an academic debate regarding these 2 polarizing films. Both films are not perfect, but it seems Al Gores film is blindly accepted as "truth" where those that deviate from this "mainstream" view is labeled as "Climate Change deniers" akin/ referencing to "holocaust deniers" which is a pretty underhanded tactic tbh. 

Part 1 of 4.  

Watch it and you be the judge of the facts and who came out as the more factual/ scientific "winners" regarding this so called "Man Made Global Warming" a.k.a "Climate Change", the more kosher/ PC term used nowadays because its no longer just warming but cooling as well.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 51
Sf, science is not up for debate.

The fact that carbon emissions are directly contributing to the warming of the planet, is irrefutable. 

The ozone layer acts as a barrier against solar radiation. When it is thinned, more radiation gets through, thus leading to warming of the planet. Couple that with the greenhouse gases, which act as barriers that stop this heat from leaving the surface of the earth, and you've got even more trouble.

Picture the scenario like this: You have a plastic dish in a microwave. The microwave radiation can get through the plastic pretty easily, but imagine if you made the plastic layer even thinner (thinning of the ozone layer). The result would be even more radiation slipping through. Now to simulate the effect of greenhouse gases, put a lid on the container.

I'd go into the chemistry of it, but there are plenty of resources if you really want to see it.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 51
Quote:
Sf, science is not up for debate.

The fact that carbon emissions are directly contributing to the warming of the planet, is irrefutable. 

The ozone layer acts as a barrier against solar radiation. When it is thinned, more radiation gets through, thus leading to warming of the planet. Couple that with the greenhouse gases, which act as barriers that stop this heat from leaving the surface of the earth, and you've got even more trouble.

Picture the scenario like this: You have a plastic dish in a microwave. The microwave radiation can get through the plastic pretty easily, but imagine if you made the plastic layer even thinner (thinning of the ozone layer). The result would be even more radiation slipping through. Now to simulate the effect of greenhouse gases, put a lid on the container.

I'd go into the chemistry of it, but there are plenty of resources if you really want to see it.

I understand certain laws of physics/ science are "not up for debate" BUT isn't science also very dynamic and is changing/ evolving due to new revelations/ discoveries that has not been conceived before??? Case and point is the age old view that dinosaurs were only cold blooded reptilians, but recent fossil discoveries in certain regions of China proves that it might also be part mammal as well.

And yes i have already learned about the green house effect since i was in high school, i didn't take 2 years of environmental sciences in HS for nothing. The ozone and greenhouse affect is legit but is ALL the warming driven by CO2 though??? That's the crux of the argument, is C02 a pollutant, cuz the earth has experienced wayyy higher levels of CO2 in its recorded history yet was it the "end of the world" as these global warming proponents are suggesting. CO2 is a natural life giving gas which plants need to grow, so how can such crucial thing be labeled as a "pollutant"??? I agree pollution is not healthy and causes A LOT of environmental degradation but CO2 should not be casts as the central villain. And why is only CO2 seen as the main cause of Man Mad Global Warming, isn't that a interesting notion to pontificate upon?

I think any type of debate is healthy, and since the "science" of Man Made Global Warming is still a relative new filed of study, why shouldn't there be more debate regarding this supposedly "life or death" matter that affects all of mankind. Eke have you heard of what is dubbed as "Climate Gate" and the manipulation of science data by the IPCC??? The science needs to be examined under strict scrutiny cuz of this. So what i am just trying to say is try to be as objective as possible and consider both sides of the argument. If you have some time to kill, just watch the vids i posted above and judge it for yourself. But don't just simply dismiss it cuz you thinks it's all "conspiracy theory" like i said that's a easy cop out and intellectual laziness. 

Global Warming/ Climate Change is real but man made pollution is not central, nor the engine that is driving it. The climate has always been changing cuz it's so dynamic and the Earth has went through A LOT more serious climate shifts that were more catastrophic than what we have ever experienced in recorded human history, yet it still lives on. I just don't think that due to a few degrees increases the world as we know it will go under as depicted in Al Gores "film". I don't think humans can ever destroy this world cuz of our C02 emissions, we might kill ourselves off with nukes, germ warfare, etc but the earth is gonna still be kicking up dust after our departure, cuz it has survived a lot more crazy things since its existence than some mere degree increases. Just trying to be logical that's all.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 51
popcorn.gif

Anticipated this on the MH1C thread. 

Due to a serious off-kilter, borderline standing on politics (more or less against Master Trolls), will refrain from posting as the mods would destroy this in a second. Get enough on /pol/ as it is.
Still subscribed though 
popcorn.gif
. Just don't get too out of hands master troll.

Long story short - pollution bad politics bad rap good.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 51
For the record, I haven't seen Al Gore's film and I don't know what it's about.

The issue isn't that climate change will destroy the Earth, it's that it will destroy US. The "slight" shifts in temperature have been enough to melt such a large portion of the Earth glacier's, leading to excess water the ecosystem. Add in the additional heat, and you've got yourself a butterfly effect type cascade of environmental events that can wreak havoc in every way of life. If these past record setting weather extremes aren't enough to show you, then I don't know what else to say.

The warming isn't "caused" by CO2. It's still caused by the sun. The issue is that the excess CO2 (and methane released from the melting glaciers) is trapping the heat that should have otherwise been released into space.

Science doesn't  have more than one side. Something is either fact, or it isn't. Just as you accuse Al Gore of propaganda, there are really multi-billion dollar industries out there that are aggressively lobbying against any responsible talk on the effect of human pollution. As seemlessly as they inject money into politics, they are producing these nonsense conspiracy videos to try to distract the public while we slowly kill ourselves. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 51
Quote:
popcorn.gif

Anticipated this on the MH1C thread. 

Due to a serious off-kilter, borderline standing on politics (more or less against Master Trolls), will refrain from posting as the mods would destroy this in a second. Get enough on /pol/ as it is.
Still subscribed though 
popcorn.gif
. Just don't get too out of hands master troll.

Long story short - pollution bad politics bad rap good.

haha, thanks for the sub Twinsta. I already knew you ain't ever got my back on anything, so that is expected. I need my main man Kami all up in herrr!!! LoL

Yeah meng see what rap music does to a person.
tongue_smile.gif
Stay away kiddies.

And amen to that!!! I meant to say WORD! But...but.... bad pop rap is the cause of the pollution these days. Dat sonic one.  

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:
For the record, I haven't seen Al Gore's film and I don't know what it's about.

The issue isn't that climate change will destroy the Earth, it's that it will destroy US. The "slight" shifts in temperature have been enough to melt such a large portion of the Earth glacier's, leading to excess water the ecosystem. Add in the additional heat, and you've got yourself a butterfly effect type cascade of environmental events that can wreak havoc in every way of life. If these past record setting weather extremes aren't enough to show you, then I don't know what else to say.

The warming isn't "caused" by CO2. It's still caused by the sun. The issue is that the excess CO2 (and methane released from the melting glaciers) is trapping the heat that should have otherwise been released into space.

Science doesn't  have more than one side. Something is either fact, or it isn't. Just as you accuse Al Gore of propaganda, there are really multi-billion dollar industries out there that are aggressively lobbying against any responsible talk on the effect of human pollution. As seemlessly as they inject money into politics, they are producing these nonsense conspiracy videos to try to distract the public while we slowly kill ourselves. 

Ok, ekey boi just watch both those films and see where the facts stand. That is all i have to ask, nothing more nothing less. Kinda surprised that you haven't seen Al Gores film tbh, but let me just get this out there. 1st he is a politician, 2nd he was really great friends with that guy that headed up Enron back at when it was scamming Cali of sh!T load of $$$ by faking a energy shortage. You'll need to check the film "Enron The Smartest Guys In The Room", truly an eye opening doc. This entire carbon tax/ credit scam was hatched by those exact guys that headed Enron with Al Gores lovely self. So how legit is this entire "carbon tax/ credit" thing then?

Political Science 101, fact ALL politicians lie and Al Gore is 1st and foremost a politician. So why can't multi-billion industries as you said hedge their bets on both sides of the debate. Just as likely as those "aggressively lobbying against any responsible talk on the effect of human pollution" by big republican $$$, the left can also be easily bought. So left leaning supposedly more "objective" pro global warming conspiracy videos, i meant to say films are also produced and used to "distract the public" as well. And isn't higher prices for gas BETTER for the oil industries, which goes back to basic economic concept of supply and demand. Wouldn't the oil industries, etc want to support austerity measures cuz it make us pay more for our resources, hence more money for them to pocket???

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:
And I never will 
gs1000.gif
. Not until you get rid of those nasty dust gifs.

Besties for life. 

Ya' mon.
beerchug.gif
Always keepin' it dusty and real.

Back at ya' but Kami will always be my main man, cuz that fool is nuts haha.
bigsmile_face.gif
I think he was the one that got the old rap sucks thread locked with all his ******** cussing. LoL

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 51
Sorry, is the crux of this thread whether global warming is a serious issue that needs to shape our paths forward, or which is a better film of the two listed? ( I have seen neither and don't intend to.)

To base the global warming debate on two films - both of which have an axe to grind - is ridiculous.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:
This is stupid. People like you sticking your head in the sand are the reason New York will be underwater by the end of the century.

And i'll be the the sole survivor cuz of my neck sticking up. Ah, that lovely fresh oxygen while you'll drown.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Sorry, is the crux of this thread whether global warming is a serious issue that needs to shape our paths forward, or which is a better film of the two listed? ( I have seen neither and don't intend to.)

To base the global warming debate on two films - both of which has an axe to grind - is ridiculous.

EXACTLY that is why i took classes in college regarding global warming and as you would have guessed, it's the same old stuff presented in Al Gores film that don't take the points of the other side into account. Hey it hurts your funding to go against the grain and no one likes boat rockers.  

Like i keep saying just watch those films and judge the scientific facts, cuz there are tons of it in those 2 films, and that vid on the academic debate is really interesting as well. Or you can just dismiss it all and cry "CONSPIRACY THEORIST"!!! and call it a day.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 51
The amount of research on this is legion. It matters not a smidgen what is presented in any film.

Whether or not global warming is going to affect our current image of the world deserves the same consideration and discussion as topics such as Is the Earth older than 6500 years?, How do seashells end up on top of mountains?, and Flat or Round ... you decide.

What to do about it is another matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back