The Grado RS-2 Thread
Jun 8, 2005 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
Since we had a RS-1 appreciation thread a while back, its time for the RS-2 version! Post your thoughts/opinions!

I just recieved a pair today, and they sound freaking awesome! They are a bit bright, probably due to the AD8610s in my amp, but the bass is awesome, and they actually have a soundstage (unlike most of the other Grados).
tongue.gif
They are so light and comfy too. I heard the RS-1s a while back, and I actually prefer the RS-2. I have no clue why these are the most underappreciated Grados here!

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 79
FINALLY, rs-2 appreciation... It seems to me that these cans dont get enough credit. Right now im at work listening to my rio karma amped with a sr-71 amp with grado rs-2's (flats) and the sound: BEAUTIFUL, WARM, full bodied and Detailed just like good grado sound. Not only do these headphones realy rock but they are so nice looking. The mohogony wood, with metal mesh and a leather headband whats not to like about them? I do think these headphones are underated and deserve more credit.

THE RS-2 are so much more fun then my sennhiser hd-600.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 79
i got the RS-2 cans too.

they are generally pimp. in adition to the the fact that they are made of wood: they make music sound more like music, and less like a speaker. mine also smell nice, but that may just be from the person who owned them before me.

for what i listen to they suit me quite well.

im happy.

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
The RS-2's are great. As for brightness, give them a bit, I think they'll settle down. I don't find my well-burned-in RS-2s bright at all.

I got mine used, so they're already broken in
tongue.gif
The more I listen, the more my ears get adjusted to the Grado sound again. Still, they are a bit bright, though I'm sure an opamp swap would help a lot (Im running AD8620s in the source, and AD8610s in the amp, both known to be "treble boosting" opamps). I'm enjoying these a lot more than the HD650s they replaced, they are more comfortable in hot weather, and are just more fun to listen to. I just got done with a game of Wolf: ET, and I actually did better than with the Senns. Cant complain about the soundstage, works for me
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiojoe1
FYI saturnine...those grados might have about 75 or so hours max on them....so there may be a bit of breaking in left to do(probably explains the condition they came in
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet
biggrin.gif
I thought they had more hours on them, I didnt know I was getting nearly new cans!
tongue.gif

Carinets sound incredible through these! Sounds so lifelike!

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 79
I am suprised that there are so few posters from headfiers who have the Rs-2's. BHD812 has a pair.

Personally I have never heard them so I won't comment until I get to spend some time with them.

This is my question to Rs-2's owners. Why is it that the Rs-2's don't get no love round here? I mean from people who find the Rs-1's mids too couloured or fatiguing then the Rs-2's would be more suitable for them?

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 79
I think the problem with the RS-2 is that most people who are willining to put the money in for the RS-2s will just go ahead and get the RS-1. I also like, and own, the RS-1 -- I use the RS-2 at work. It lacks some of the detail of the RS-1, but for some reason that I can't put my finger on, the RS-2 is more fun. Bass is incredibly punchy, the midrange is smooth and forgiving. They sound great with pretty much any amplification. I haven't really sat down and A/Bed the RS-2s and RS-1s -- I'll have to sometime. But that's my theory anyway.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 79
So...if someone thinks the RS-1s suck, would they think the RS-2 suck even more....or less?
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 79
What? No more RS-2 appreciation?

I got my flats in Saturday (FAST shipping! Thnx Todd!), and the OPA627s in the day before. Grados dont get any better than this folks. I listened to the RS-1 again yesterday at the NC headroom meet for around 30min, and the RS-2 are definately better (IMO). I do believe I've found my perfect cans. Sure, they arent perfectly neutral, but they are so fun its almost impossible to put them down. Hell, I may even skip work tomorrow to stay home, lay in bed, and listen to music all day. I'm usually not lazy, but damn these sound GREAT!

I dunno why people think these sound like the 325s. They really don't. IMO

*sigh* I'm gonna miss swapping cans every month or so...
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I dunno why people think these sound like the 325s. They really don't. IMO

agreed. these are much smoother. harsh garbage is still harsh (umm think hardcore nine-inch-nails distorton) but smooth stuff is much nicer. the distortions on "the downward spiral" still grind into my head, and make my eyes hurt. but the steel string-guitar on some greatefull dead albums is sooooo nice and soild.
Quote:

*sigh* I'm gonna miss swapping cans every month or so...
tongue.gif

i miss my ms-2's they have been sitting on top of my dresser for a solid 2 weeks. i took em down to swap off my senn hd414 pads. my hd-595's are also feeling the lack of love. i used em the other day because they were in the room i was in.

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #14 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
FINALLY, rs-2 appreciation...

rofl. from here it sounded like you barely made it to the loo after getting your first case of montezumas or something with that statement. as if you were stuck in the twilight on the forums waiting for a rs2 appreciation thread. thats all.

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 79
I don't think they sound at all like the 325s either. I have the RS-1s and like them a lot, but I haven't been able to get myself to sell the RS-2s. I think they're at least different enough to keep around, and not obviously bested by the RS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back