The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Nov 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #1,276 of 1,528
I have just plugged my HF-2's into the newly arrived CKKIII, and bloody hell! Pure awesomeness! This is where all that bass people had been talking about was being hidden...

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #1,279 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that they handle it in somewhat typical Grado fashion. Fun but a bit congested. Kind of like a hot date with a little bit of a cold.

But the HF2 isn't as shrill to my ears as most other Grados. The lack of splash lessens the sense of congestion I perceive in comparison to in-production Grados (except for the PS1000, which I have not heard). So I think they will improve upon your MS1, but you'll still notice it a bit.

If it helps, the PS1000 sounds just like the GS1000i except with a different flavoring but essentially sharing the same mold. Comparing it with the HF2, it doesn't sound as congested due to its nature as a Grado with an actual soundstage. It's also more neutral and transparent. Too bad its flabby bass, sibilance and piercing upper midrange/lower high pretty much distracted me from enjoying it at all.

It couldn't be the audio chain either because by God, if the Buffalo24 and B22 cannot make the PS1k sounds right then I don't know what will.

Technically, it's better than the HF2 but I'll take the latter at any time of the day.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #1,280 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that they handle it in somewhat typical Grado fashion. Fun but a bit congested. Kind of like a hot date with a little bit of a cold.

But the HF2 isn't as shrill to my ears as most other Grados. The lack of splash lessens the sense of congestion I perceive in comparison to in-production Grados (except for the PS1000, which I have not heard). So I think they will improve upon your MS1, but you'll still notice it a bit.

I agree completely, but in addition to that the HF-2 sound more open and spacious than the MS-1.

I have had several re-cabled Grados (SR-60, HF-1, RS-2, RS-1) and a good cable seems to help the congestion a bit more. The APS V3 and Jenna Labs seem to do the best job, with dead soft pure silver close behind, and Headphile black max being the least improvement but still better. As a bonus, none of the cables have made those Grados more shrill.

When I compare my HF-2 to my APS v3 RS-1 or my Head-direct HE-5 the HF-2 do sound more congested after I get used to the other two. I felt my re-cabled RS-1 were closer to the level of my old stock HP-1000, although the HP-1000 with Equinox cables passes them up again. I can't help but wonder, how good would the HF-2 sound with a better cable. I plan to do the upgrade someday and find out.

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #1,281 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it helps, the PS1000 sounds just like the GS1000i except with a different flavoring but essentially sharing the same mold. Comparing it with the HF2, it doesn't sound as congested due to its nature as a Grado with an actual soundstage. It's also more neutral and transparent. Too bad its flabby bass, sibilance and piercing upper midrange/lower high pretty much distracted me from enjoying it at all.

It couldn't be the audio chain either because by God, if the Buffalo24 and B22 cannot make the PS1k sounds right then I don't know what will.

Technically, it's better than the HF2 but I'll take the latter at any time of the day.

I think the PS-1000 mids are more forward and alive sounding, and to me it makes a big difference in enjoyability. I agree about the bass and treble, but that was based upon listening several times at CanJam over only two days. Anyway, I would take the PS-1000 over the GS-1000 any day, but buying both the HF-2 and HD800 for only $100 more was a better deal for me.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #1,282 of 1,528
Just gonna drop this here:

Jumbo Pads (GS-1000) + HF-2 = pure awesomeness. Very comfortable excellent amount of detail and not fatiguing, and gorgeous -as the HF-2 is-.

And I think the pads are only "good for the models they are meant to" is a myth. I really recommend trying these with the grados, specially if you find comfort a bit lacking.

(Tested with Persefone - Shin Ken-)

EDIT: Well, not a myth, just that it is overly exaggerated. Anyways I think the change of bowls vs jumbo's is in a good way.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #1,283 of 1,528
I have somewhat different feeling toward jumbo pads. In my case, jumbos took the most fun factor of HF-2, that is the ability of presenting liveiness. Yes, it sure becomes more balanced sounding but that does not make this phone GS1000. (because of congested middle) It just doesn't sound right when playing large scale music throwing many sounds at once. like symphonies. Also, the highs become bit shrill.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #1,284 of 1,528
I beg to differ. And I see what you mean. They make the sound more "distant" from the listener's point of view. Regarding highs becoming shrill at least not in my case in the music I have listened to so far.

The only problem I see with my pair of jumbo's is that they smell like a construction site. I believe the guys at the store left them at a room where they build something up and they smell like that. I tried washing them but the smell only went out very little. I hope I can find a way to take away that smell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have somewhat different feeling toward jumbo pads. In my case, jumbos took the most fun factor of HF-2, that is the ability of presenting liveiness. Yes, it sure becomes more balanced sounding but that does not make this phone GS1000. (because of congested middle) It just doesn't sound right when playing large scale music throwing many sounds at once. like symphonies. Also, the highs become bit shrill.

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #1,285 of 1,528
HF-2 vs ms2i vs sr325iS

Grado HF-2 has better instrument separation than ms2i and sr325iS ... bass tad bit better than ms2i ... but i like all of these 3 metal Grados/Alessandros
ksc75smile.gif

FWIW, i prefer rock/pop, new age music, new wave, disco, motown hits.. i like guitars.. very fast drums .. violin and piano too .. i listen to lossless files ripped from CDs and direct CD ..btw, i use soft/comfy pads on all my Grados/Alessandros... no listener fatigue as i tried more than 8 hours of listen with each headphones

YMMV
beerchug.gif

2irytd.jpg

21j2igx.jpg

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,286 of 1,528
Arrived this morning:

hd1.jpg

Awesome looking! Awesome sounding!

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #1,288 of 1,528
Now i need a cheap cable extension, no more than 1.5 mt. Any advice ?

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #1,289 of 1,528
The HF2 with jumbos are fantastic with Jazz and Classical Music, large soundstage, great detail and the music just flows... The negative with the jumbos are that for Jazz Vocal it has sibilance that is very harsh. Some rock recording can be bright at times. Therefore for any sibilance and bright recording i use stock bowls.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,290 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF2 with jumbos are fantastic with Jazz and Classical Music, large soundstage, great detail and the music just flows... The negative with the jumbos are that for Jazz Vocal it has sibilance that is very harsh. Some rock recording can be bright at times. Therefore for any sibilance and bright recording i use stock bowls.

For those reasons I went back to the regular bowls lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back