The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Aug 23, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #3,346 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a simple Shure volume attenuator with the volume turned down via a 4-5mm turn will do the trick.

I've never found volume attenuators, Shures included, very transparent.

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #3,347 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chiefroastbeef> those look beautiful! FreQs should really have a colour sampler up so we don't go in randomly and blind for the newer colours...

also, you wouldn't want utter silence while doing weights, in case someone is trying to warn you about something falling on your head...

If anything, it'll be the toes that something will fall on, I'll be fine. I've been lifting the last four years with IEMs, walking on the streets of HK is totally different though... But I am very careful. I haven't been run over by a double decker bus yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sam,

i can finally say now " i think you've nothing to worry about!!!!" I was this guy for one afternoon and he kept being so pessimistic!!

Well they look great really, very well done and congrats to the great fit!

I see you're enjoying your new mac KB as well!! ha!

Haha Johann, you were right brother. But then again, there are so many bad fits on this thread, one has to worry!

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #3,348 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I 've never found volume attenuators, Shures included, very transparent.

I did a review of three different volume attenuators last year, and found the Shure if not turned more than 4-5 mm to have fairly little impact. When using the Macbook as a source, he's already sacrificed a bit of transparency already, so the attenuators will be better than the noise.

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #3,349 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never found volume attenuators, Shures included, very transparent.

i would go for th resistor that Ultimate ears gives you for $20,

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #3,350 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my gosh I just got my Freqshows!!!! They are friggin awesome! I love the color, the fit is perfect, comfortable, worth every penny. I can open my mouth as wide as I can and I still won't break the seal, which will be great in the weight room. I forget they are in my ears because they are so comfy.

I'm thanking my Lord, I've been waiting for a little over a month, not knowing how they will turn out. Now I am extremely happy, for they are absolutely perfect!

These things are easier to take in and out than my ER4p and my Superfi pro 5s, it takes much less time as well. Absolutely perfect. To take them out, all I do is push the little indent behind my earlobe, and they literally POP right out, I'll have to make sure to catch them or they may fall to the ground! With my Superfis, I'd always tug on the cable to get them out, perhaps that is why the housing broke right at the plug connector.

The color turned out better than I expected, it looks quite stunning.

dsc0034version2sz4.jpg

They sure do charge a lot of shipping, it would have cost $40 bucks to get to Hong Kong. However, I had them shipped to a friend in Dallas($10), and she shipped them to me to Hong Kong($7). I don't know what kind of gorilla shipping math Freq is doing these days, but I believe I saved $23 bucks, though it took a week longer(psssh).

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

The color and quality on the Freq Shows looks amazing! Are those the dark translucent blue?

Mine should be arriving on Monday. They are stuck at the Indy airport in a shipping container. Should have paid for overnight shipping. I would have had them yesterday.
frown.gif

Looks like the quality of Freq is getting better. When I talked with Emily at Freq she mentioned that they ship all orders out to the manufacturer. Don't know if that's still in Tampa or not, but they receive them back and then ship them out.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3,351 of 3,960
That stinks about the shipping... I'm still waiting for the development of teleporters man.

I was getting worried because it took around two weeks, I thought the package was lost, and I had forgotten to tell her to insure it!

The quality is amazing, I had actually ordered Solid dark blue, but these are a little transparent, and they look amazing! I would not have any other color! I actually regretted getting the solid blue because I do want to see the insides of the phones, however I wasn't sold on the looks of the Freq translucent colors, but these are gorgeous.

I hope yours arrive soon! What color did you pick?

I cannot believe how easy and fast I can insert and extract these things, muuuch quicker and easier than the ER4ps and Superfis. I love them!

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #3,352 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That stinks about the shipping... I'm still waiting for the development of teleporters man.

I was getting worried because it took around two weeks, I thought the package was lost, and I had forgotten to tell her to insure it!

The quality is amazing, I had actually ordered Solid dark blue, but these are a little transparent, and they look amazing! I would not have any other color! I actually regretted getting the solid blue because I do want to see the insides of the phones, however I wasn't sold on the looks of the Freq translucent colors, but these are gorgeous.

I hope yours arrive soon! What color did you pick?

I chose black light translucent for the inner ear, and then a black dark translucent for the outer part. No opaque at all. Don't know how much of a difference I'll see, but at least I thought it would look cool. Hopefully I'll be able to see a little bit of the inside.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #3,354 of 3,960
Well, I got my FreQShow's a few days ago, and so far i'm feeling mixed. I initially was worried about fit, but as far as i can tell they fit great. Once they are in they don't feel uncomfortable at all, so in that respect I am very happy. Im always really happy with how they look. They are exactly how i pictured and I really like the color combination. Also, everyone at the FreQ was really great with any questions i've had thus far.

Now, the sound. To be honest, i wasn't very impressed (just for reference i have the Music Makers crossover). I must say, the bass is fantastic. I've never heard a pair of iem's with such awesome bass (i've had the ety er-6's and the shure e4c's). It's punchy but still accurate. My problem is that besides the bass, everything sounds muddy (i guess that would be the word i would use to describe it). When listening from my laptop or iphone or stereo setup the mids and the highs just don't have the clarity i was hoping for. I'll admit i only have about an hour or two listening time with them, but the wow factor just wasn't there.

I'm going to break them in a little more so how that fairs, but im considering maybe sending them back and having them swap in the ML crossover's. What does everyone else think? Thanks for listening.

Here are some pics of my iPhone and FreQ's (sorry, i got a little carried away with the artsy aspect, lol).

IPhoneFreq.jpg

iPhoneFreq2.jpg

Freqs.jpg

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3,355 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSoundGuy 7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I got my FreQShow's a few days ago, and so far i'm feeling mixed. I initially was worried about fit, but as far as i can tell they fit great. Once they are in they don't feel uncomfortable at all, so in that respect I am very happy. Im always really happy with how they look. They are exactly how i pictured and I really like the color combination. Also, everyone at the FreQ was really great with any questions i've had thus far.

Now, the sound. To be honest, i wasn't very impressed (just for reference i have the Music Makers crossover). I must say, the bass is fantastic. I've never heard a pair of iem's with such awesome bass (i've had the ety er-6's and the shure e4c's). It's punchy but still accurate. My problem is that besides the bass, everything sounds muddy (i guess that would be the word i would use to describe it). When listening from my laptop or iphone or stereo setup the mids and the highs just don't have the clarity i was hoping for. I'll admit i only have about an hour or two listening time with them, but the wow factor just wasn't there.

I'm going to break them in a little more so how that fairs, but im considering maybe sending them back and having them swap in the ML crossover's. What does everyone else think? Thanks for listening.

Here are some pics of my iPhone and FreQ's (sorry, i got a little carried away with the artsy aspect, lol).

IPhoneFreq.jpg

Another set of nice pictures! Glad to hear that fit is not an issue. I kid with Slowth, but I really hope my FS fit on the first try. It's the first set of customs I've bought, so I don't quite know what to expect.

Hope the muddiness clears on your set. Maybe with some use the sound will come alive.

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #3,356 of 3,960
wow, that first picture with the balls is a beautiful picture!

At first, coming from the ER4ps, I was disappointed with the treble too, it sounded none existent. However, I tweaked the DAC and EQ on my Sony A829 and my Macbook Pro to less bass. I played around with my DAC and EQ settings, and now the treble is much more pronounced, and a mix of the best of both worlds. I simply cannot ask for better sound!

Also, I purchased a 75ohm adapter last night, and the treble is even more pronounced, the bass is controlled. I'm not good at describing sound, sorry!

Aug 24, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #3,358 of 3,960
Evil Sound Guy 7,

Run pink noise every night for a week or so - and see if that doesn't help your situation.

I cannot stress what a difference amping does in this little headphone - much as the same differences of the ES7 amped versus unamped. (amping really tightens and adds treble. I personally like the Pico combo best (others like the Predator). Try them with a better source and better files or a CD and see of it isn't the output issue (degradation of quality).

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #3,360 of 3,960
just google "tone generator" and u've alot of free apps that can produce pink noise.. as well as blue, brown,white etc etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back