The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jul 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #2,971 of 3,960
Thanks for the input! I know I can ask Freq for the impressions instructions for the audiologist. But what were the basics of how to make a good impression? Just use a bit block and make sure the mouth is wide open?

I'm definitely leaning towards the Freqshows!

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #2,972 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input! I know I can ask Freq for the impressions instructions for the audiologist. But what were the basics of how to make a good impression? Just use a bit block and make sure the mouth is wide open?

I recommend using UE's audiologist instructions: http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimat...structions.pdf

The important thing it keep in mind while doing impressions is to keep your facial muscles as still and relaxed as possible during the whole process - try not to talk to the audiologist when he's injecting you! If you want a tighter fit (not recommended for first time custom IEM owners), you can ask the audiologist to use a large cotton stopper (might be uncomfortable while he stuffs it in your ear though).

Make sure the audiologist reads the instructions and understands that it's important to have a good fit for these IEMs.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #2,974 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I did my second set of impressions, I just stuck 2 fingers in between my front teeth. Make sure not to talk while the silicon is in your ears. In fact, make it clear to the person doing the impressions that you will not be speaking during the process. So get all those questions answered first
wink.gif

I don't know how important it is to be completely relaxed. I know I was flexing muscles in my head. It reminded me of being at the dentist and trying to swallow with my mouth open. I think just keeping my jaw open was enough. I have a very tight seal and it isn't uncomfortable at all.

I know some folks are waiting for pics of the new FreqShows. I didn't have my camera all weekend (I left it at work hehe), so I'll try to get some up this afternoon. Sorry
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #2,975 of 3,960
I'm about to buy an IEM especially for sound isolation. I'm comparing Shure SE310 vs. Ety ER4P vs. Sleek SA6 vs. Atrio M5. I can add a FreQ to the discussion, but only the cheaper Control FreQ.

Is it worthy? Do you think it could be a better sound isolator than the others being custom, or an Ety with foam tip is better seal? What about the sound quality -being a single driver entry level-?

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #2,977 of 3,960
Joy of joys! I went to the audiologist to readjust my left ear. I can now take the monitor in and out without fear of pulling my canal with it! And the seal is still excellent! I would highly recommand this audiologist if anyone in the area of Montreal, Canada, needs to have impression done. I am a satisfied customer! Now I can unleash my inner FreQ!

:
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #2,978 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joy of joys! I went to the audiologist to readjust my left ear. I can now take the monitor in and out without fear of pulling my canal with it! And the seal is still excellent! I would highly recommand this audiologist if anyone in the area of Montreal, Canada, needs to have impression done. I am a satisfied customer! Now I can unleash my inner FreQ!

:
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Wow. This is great. I have read EVERY post of this thread and I must say that it seems almost all of you guys are more then satisfied. Some have had the problem with the fitting, but that got fixed. Also some had problems with the cables, but also got that fixed. From what I've read, most of the problems have come from bad fitting. Happy your problem got resolved.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #2,979 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfilm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to buy an IEM especially for sound isolation. I'm comparing Shure SE310 vs. Ety ER4P vs. Sleek SA6 vs. Atrio M5. I can add a FreQ to the discussion, but only the cheaper Control FreQ.

Is it worthy? Do you think it could be a better sound isolator than the others being custom, or an Ety with foam tip is better seal? What about the sound quality -being a single driver entry level-?

Can't comment on the single driver aspect, but I can compare the isolation to Shure E3c's with the foam tips (like ear plug material). When I borrowed my buddy's Shures, the only tips that worked were the foamies. The isolated great! My FreqShows isolate at least as good
wink.gif

Isolation was also one of my top criteria when I bought my FreQs. I use mine when I participate in league bowling, so I need good isolation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

:
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Grats man! And now you forget all about the struggle to get there huh?
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by V3lier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. This is great. I have read EVERY post of this thread and I must say that it seems almost all of you guys are more then satisfied. Some have had the problem with the fitting, but that got fixed. Also some had problems with the cables, but also got that fixed. From what I've read, most of the problems have come from bad fitting. Happy your problem got resolved.
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole thread?!?!!?
eek.gif
wow!
Well I sure hope you get some FreQs after putting in that effort hehe
I was the one with the worst cable problems, but their new cable shouldn't have that problem. They are really nice.

It can take some effort to get the fit right, but this is the case with any custom IEM. It is absolutely worth the time and energy spent to get there. A good fitting custom triple driver IEM is amazing. I've had my set made from the new impressions for 3 days now, and I'm still a little shocked at how incredible these things are. Everyone should own some. While I recommend FreQs wholeheartedly, I'm sure the others cause the same elevated levels of musical bliss
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #2,980 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't comment on the single driver aspect, but I can compare the isolation to Shure E3c's with the foam tips (like ear plug material). When I borrowed my buddy's Shures, the only tips that worked were the foamies. The isolated great! My FreqShows isolate at least as good
wink.gif

Isolation was also one of my top criteria when I bought my FreQs. I use mine when I participate in league bowling, so I need good isolation.

Grats man! And now you forget all about the struggle to get there huh?
icon10.gif

The whole thread?!?!!?
eek.gif
wow!
Well I sure hope you get some FreQs after putting in that effort hehe
I was the one with the worst cable problems, but their new cable shouldn't have that problem. They are really nice.

It can take some effort to get the fit right, but this is the case with any custom IEM. It is absolutely worth the time and energy spent to get there. A good fitting custom triple driver IEM is amazing. I've had my set made from the new impressions for 3 days now, and I'm still a little shocked at how incredible these things are. Everyone should own some. While I recommend FreQs wholeheartedly, I'm sure the others cause the same elevated levels of musical bliss
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha. I'm going for the FreQShow MM-Crossover without a doubt. I've already asked Todd many questions and he has answered in about a one day. I've been bugging him a lot that I feel kinda bad, but it makes me feel good that there is such a great customer service. I also read the web page and it was very original and funny which gave me a very great impression. Their not trying to sell you the same-old, but something especially made for you. I already expect to have around 1-3 refittings but that is no problem. I'm a very patient and perfectionist person lmao.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #2,981 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3lier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. I'm going for the FreQShow MM-Crossover without a doubt. I've already asked Todd many questions and he has answered in about a one day. I've been bugging him a lot that I feel kinda bad, but it makes me feel good that there is such a great customer service. I also read the web page and it was very original and funny which gave me a very great impression. Their not trying to sell you the same-old, but something especially made for you. I already expect to have around 1-3 refittings but that is no problem. I'm a very patient and perfectionist person lmao.

Sounds like you have an attitude that's gonna lead to sonic bliss
biggrin.gif

And now for the pics I promised on Friday :p
DSCN2822.jpg

DSCN2823.jpg

If anyone wants to see them in my head or other angles or anything, let me know. I got this nifty little tripod for my camera from a coworker, so it's easier to do the macro stuff now. I need a new camera, but that's a whole other story.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2,982 of 3,960
Dang I just contacted Freq, and they say shipping will be $38 bucks from US to HK. And they won't declare it as a gift, but I think Hong Kong only charge excise tax(alcohol, cigs, cosmetics).

$38 for shipping is quite steep, especially if I need a refit... Must think.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #2,983 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you have an attitude that's gonna lead to sonic bliss
biggrin.gif

And now for the pics I promised on Friday :p

(SNIP)

If anyone wants to see them in my head or other angles or anything, let me know. I got this nifty little tripod for my camera from a coworker, so it's easier to do the macro stuff now. I need a new camera, but that's a whole other story.

Very cool looking! What exactly were your colors?

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #2,985 of 3,960
hey chief...

yeah it's ex.. costs the same here to Singapore. So I've tried to minimize the refit by usisng nail polish to fix it myself. Once I thuoght it was all good then I sent it in with detailed pics and explainations. that way hopefully one time is all I need to get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back