The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jul 15, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #2,986 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey chief...

yeah it's ex.. costs the same here to Singapore. So I've tried to minimize the refit by usisng nail polish to fix it myself. Once I thuoght it was all good then I sent it in with detailed pics and explainations. that way hopefully one time is all I need to get it right.

How do you minimize the refit by using nail polish? To fill in the areas where you need more support? Did you do an open mouth impression? It seems like a good impression will greatly minimize the chance of a refit.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2,987 of 3,960
oh i meant more minimizing the no. of times needed to send ti back. Some ppl have already tried it.. using clear nail polish and applying to some of the areas you feel could use more material.. then sendin it back so they can use it for ref. That way it has higher probability of turning out right when it's sent back.

Yeah open mouth and all..

and woah.. .how'd we get to close to 300 pages!!! even LW doesn't have so many viewership! good work freq!!

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #2,988 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool looking! What exactly were your colors?

All are translucent: black faceplates, green right, yellow left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarutobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heyduke, Is there "black translucent?"

Yep ^
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you minimize the refit by using nail polish? To fill in the areas where you need more support? Did you do an open mouth impression? It seems like a good impression will greatly minimize the chance of a refit.

This is my 3rd set of FreQs. My SuperFreqs and the 1st FreqShows were made from the same impressions, and neither fit great. My new FreqShows are made from open mouth impressions, and they fit great.

From my experience, the impressions make all the difference. Make sure you do them open mouth. A bite block is a good idea, but I just used 2 fingers. Ask the audiologist to go passed the 2nd bend in the ear canal. If your impressions go deep, your FreQs can do deeper into the canal improving isolation/seal.

Doing your impressions open mouth makes them larger, so when your mouth is closed, your ear canal will constrict around the headphones creating a nice tight seal. I hear a lot of folks saying they think it would be uncomfortable with the hard acrylic material, but they are never speaking from actual experience. They are not uncomfortable at all. They practically disappear in your ears. While the IEM is hard, your ear tissues are soft and will conform around them.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2,989 of 3,960
ah, gotcha, thanks guys! I'll make sure I do an open mouth impression without much facial/jaw movement.

Will a two finger gap be suffice? Or should I do a three finger? Three maybe too much? I just don't want it to enlarge my ear canal and cause pain/damage.

Maybe I'll bring an apple as a bite block, the bite gap is adjustable, and I get a healthy snack after the ordeal is over!
tongue.gif

Thanks again guys.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #2,990 of 3,960
Quote:

ah, gotcha, thanks guys! I'll make sure I do an open mouth impression without much facial/jaw movement.

Will a two finger gap be suffice? Or should I do a three finger? Three maybe too much? I just don't want it to enlarge my ear canal and cause pain/damage.

Maybe I'll bring an apple as a bite block, the bite gap is adjustable, and I get a healthy snack after the ordeal is over!
tongue.gif

Thanks again guys.

Maybe not an apple... you'll slowly chew through it and end up with no bite block at all...

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #2,991 of 3,960
Quote:

tongue.gif

Thanks again guys.

Maybe a small and really crunchy peach would be better since it won't be as juicy as an apple. If your mouth gets juicy with saliva, then turn your head upwards so it doesn't drip everywhere
biggrin.gif
To prevent dripping, you can turn your head upwards at the beginning of the solidification process.

Chances are, the audiologist office has bite blocks that are the size of two fingers.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #2,992 of 3,960
Hi everybody!

I am currently using Westone UM2 but they are getting attired so I am thinking about going Full Custom.

I am curios about the FreQ line and want to know which one I should buy,

SuperFreQ or FreQShow? The SuperfreQ sound like the right one... The price is very good in consideration of the soundquality

I still prefer a powerful but clear Bass but I'd love clarity in the highs and a high definition at all frequences.

All the High End IE I was thinking about:
Westone 3(still waiting)
Westone ES2("refined" um2)
Triple Fi 10(maybe too flat)
Shure Se530 (hmmmmm....)
SuperFreQ
FreQShow
Livewires(too flat)
Ue11-Pro(the last consequence)

or can you recommend me another model?

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #2,993 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestroit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everybody!

I am currently using Westone UM2 but they are getting attired so I am thinking about going Full Custom.

I am curios about the FreQ line and want to know which one I should buy,

SuperFreQ or FreQShow? The SuperfreQ sound like the right one... The price is very good in consideration of the soundquality

I still prefer a powerful but clear Bass but I'd love clarity in the highs and a high definition at all frequences.

All the High End IE I was thinking about:
Westone 3(still waiting)
Westone ES2("refined" um2)
Triple Fi 10(maybe too flat)
Shure Se530 (hmmmmm....)
SuperFreQ
FreQShow
Livewires(too flat)
Ue11-Pro(the last consequence)

or can you recommend me another model?

Livewires and Triple.fi are not too "flat" to my ears and are the next best thing to Westone 3 (I have heard them last September side by side with my SE530 - see the westone thread for my impressions). Any of the IEM you listed should be satisfying, but I haven't heard ES2, Superfreq or UE11pro, yet.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #2,995 of 3,960
Westone 3 are still my favorite, I like the cable, the look and they should kick ass, the price is good, 250 Euros(I am from Europe)

can you give me the direct link to your post or the Thread(there are several threads about the W3)

but to be ontopic:

is the freQShow Easily the winner and far better than the superfreQ?

which one would be the right one for me who wants to upgrade from Westone um2.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #2,996 of 3,960
if u like the um2? It could be the ML crossover wud be ur pref?

I only conclude this based on my exp with the UM2 and how I feel it's quite the opposite from the MM crossover of my freqshow, bass wise...

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #2,997 of 3,960
the bass quantity is not that important, treble, the clarity and details are more important.. it shouldn't sound to analytical and thin---> simply not neutral, but a little sounded for the fun aspect/the musicality, the superfreqs are not that neutral like the freqshows, I guess.

bump in the mids and more present bass?

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #2,999 of 3,960
if the FreQShows are the customized alternative to the tf.10(and the tf10 are the universal version of the ue10...hahaha), I would not buy them, simply because I am not that "neutral sound" fan, a little sounded without being boomy and too dark would be perfect... rich sound, powerful low end but very good treble response.. I know there are only a few Headphones..

the future sonics Atrio M5 seem like the right one but they are ugly and only universal monitors, I'd like to go custom..

so UE11-Pro left, eh? jk
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #3,000 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestroit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the FreQShows are the customized alternative to the tf.10, I would not buy them, simply because I am not that "neutral sound" fan, a little sounded without beeing bassy would be perfect...
the future sonics Atrio M5 seem like the right one but they are ugly and only universal monitors, I'd like to go custom..

so UE11-Pro left, eh?
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure where you got "FreQShows are the customized alternative to the tf.10," but you should go for the UE11 if you have the money. Although I'm not sure if they're worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back