The French Horn and Speakers
Jul 10, 2002 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I am on a quest to find the right speakers for my bedroom for under $500. I was trying to think of all the characteristics I would want from the speakers, I found out I could summarize it into one thing.

French Horn

I want everything in a speaker which the French Horn symbolizes. Power. I love the French Horn, and I want a speaker that will make me pee in my pants when the "wolf" comes up in peter and the wolf.

Ok, that is all, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 10, 2002 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 9
Is there any particular company that makes speakers which are good at reproducing horns?

Jul 10, 2002 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 9
JBL makes some underperforming products, I get the impression of. I don't think you'll be able to get horns at $500 ($5000 sure)...

Check out speakers from:
GR Research (paradox 1 model)
Triangle (titus model)
Axiom
PSB

and I'm sure there are many others...

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't need horn speakers, I just want speakers that can reproduce them very well.

If you think that expensive horn type are the best, perhaps I should look at Klipsch speakers with horn tweeters?

Jul 10, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 9
the horn tweeters won't make a difference when it comes to the french horn for the most part. You should probably just get the axiom M3Ti as far as speakers go. I haven't heard them, but they're highly praised.

Jul 13, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 9
My family needed some new surround speakers, I figured it would be the perfect oppertunity to try out the Axiom brand before I buy one of there speakers for my own personal stereo system.

So I bought a pair of Axiom M2s (on sale for only $180 a pair), the M3s little brother.

The first thing that struck me is how cool they look, the really look quite classy. The fake wood finish smells and looks like real wood.
(Btw, I bought them with the maple finish)

They are also the perfect size.

They sound fine. Very smooth, but not enough sound comes out of the surround channels in DVD movies for me to really judge there musical abilities.

I watched "A Bug's Life" (DVD came with my dads old iMac) on DVD. The nature backround effects were done quite well. Chirping birds sounded like chirping birds, leaves in the wind sounded like leaves in the wind.

I wish there was a way for my to tell my reciever to direct all sound from the front into the rear, so I could really test out there abilities.

My brief testing was done without break in, and using my families Sony reciever. The speaker wire I used was 16 gauge Radio Shack.

There ya go.

Jul 13, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 9
I have some PSB Alpha A/V's as my mains in my home theatre set up and some PSB Alpha Intro's as the surrounds. I too love the sound of the french horn....and the trombone as well. The Alpha's were easily able to reproduce all that I liked about the french horn and trombone while listening to the Gladiator Soundtrack. I also have the soundtrack to How the West Was Won which is all french horn and trombone. The PSB's sounded incredible.

Jul 14, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 9
I love the Gladiator soundtrack, too. I probably have the same tastes as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back