The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,606 of 2,251
Massdrop is currently having a special price for:
1) TFZ no. 3 (non TI) - $85 USD
2) TFZ S2 Pro - $39 USD

Not too bad price, especially for the No. 3. But I suspect if u stack coupons in Aliexpress on 11/11, it may be even cheaper for the No .3.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #1,607 of 2,251
2) TFZ S2 Pro - $39 USD

Not too bad price, especially for the No. 3. But I suspect if u stack coupons in Aliexpress on 11/11, it may be even cheaper for the No .3.
Damn, $85 is so damn cheap for no. 3. Best deal

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,609 of 2,251
2) TFZ S2 Pro - $39 USD

Thanks for the heads up on that deal. I'm very tempted. I'm just not sure how redundant it will be since I have good DDs like BLON BL-03 and TFZ T2 Galaxy. I'm kind of more curious about the TFZ King Edition.

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #1,610 of 2,251
Thanks for the heads up on that deal. I'm very tempted. I'm just not sure how redundant it will be since I have good DDs like BLON BL-03 and TFZ T2 Galaxy. I'm kind of more curious about the TFZ King Edition.
Idk, but I still prefer my no. 3 over Blon BL-03 on some aspects. I too have the T2 galaxy and no. 3 is an improvement from the T2 Galaxy which already very good imo

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #1,611 of 2,251
I want to try the S2 Pro but the review was still very few.. & Idk if it was worth to get after having T2 Galaxy & No. 3 (+ Blon 03), which is still very great imo :confused:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #1,612 of 2,251
I owned the T2 Galaxy & aiming to get either the monica, king/queen edition when they were available at the local store. Btw what is monica's sound signature? I couldn't find a lot of review about it

Recently i auditioned several TFZ:
T2, S2 Pro, Monica, & King.

After the audition i bought the T2 which to my ears sounds very balanced and lively which I like a lot. I was considering T2 and Monica as those 2 are the best sounding among the 4 models that I tried. But Monica significantly more expensive, and T2 shares a lot of similarities with Monica. Overall I prefer Monica. It likes an improved version of T2 especially on the treble region. Monica has a more lively and extended treble than T2. Both sounds very balanced with good lively dynamic. Although T2 has better value,, l but IMHO Monica is better.

Summary:
T2: Balanced tonality with very good mids.
Monica: Slightly more transparent with better treble extension than T2.
S2 Pro: More n shape but in a nice way. Mids sounds good on vocal.
King: More V shape tuning than Monica. Mids a bit recessed and for me not as good as T2 and Monica on vocal.

Hope it helps.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #1,613 of 2,251

After the audition i bought the T2 which to my ears sounds very balanced and lively which I like a lot. I was considering T2 and Monica as those 2 are the best sounding among the 4 models that I tried. But Monica significantly more expensive, and T2 shares a lot of similarities with Monica. Overall I prefer Monica. It likes an improved version of T2 especially on the treble region. Monica has a more lively and extended treble than T2. Both sounds very balanced with good lively dynamic. Although T2 has better value,, l but IMHO Monica is better.

Summary:
King: More V shape tuning than Monica. Mids a bit recessed and for me not as good as T2 and Monica on vocal.

Hope it helps.

Wow, thanks for the help. I tried to look for monica here but couldn't find it. The official store here only sold the TFZ TxBear 3. Now since S2 Pro used the same driver as Monica (if not mistaken, their bear thing) I think i want to try the S2 Pro as an alternative.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #1,614 of 2,251
Now since S2 Pro used the same driver as Monica (if not mistaken, their bear thing) I think i want to try the S2 Pro as an alternative.

It is quite interesting if S2 Pro and Monica use the same driver, because their tuning are actually the opposite, mildly n shape and mildly v shape.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #1,615 of 2,251

Summary:

Hope it helps.

From the reviews I read about the T2, and asking other headfiers here, most of them said the T2 is V shaped with quite boosted upper mids/lower treble and boosted bass. I actually gave it a miss after hearing about that feedback.
But you're the first that says the mids are good with balanced tonality. Do u find the 2 - 4khz area harsh on the T2? I'm quite interested in getting it as the feedback was it was even more basshead than the TFZ No. 3 and I'm up for moooooore bass anyday.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,616 of 2,251
It is quite interesting if S2 Pro and Monica use the same driver, because their tuning are actually the opposite, mildly n shape and mildly v shape.
Yeah, maybe their body might cause the different? The S2 Pro's housing was similar to T2 while Monica is more to their King series's housing

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #1,617 of 2,251
From the reviews I read about the T2, and asking other headfiers here, most of them said the T2 is V shaped with quite boosted upper mids/lower treble and boosted bass. I actually gave it a miss after hearing about that feedback.
But you're the first that says the mids are good with balanced tonality. Do u find the 2 - 4khz area harsh on the T2? I'm quite interested in getting it as the feedback was it was even more basshead than the TFZ No. 3 and I'm up for moooooore bass anyday.
Weirdly, I can say the bass did sound a bit bigger than No. 3, but just a bit. I had tried to hear them back to back but couldn't really tell any difference except No.3 has better details and bigger soundstage than my T2 in my amateur ear.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #1,618 of 2,251

I tried both the demo unit and mine, I don't find them to be V shape. They do have extended sub bass and upper treble, and on my FR measurement they do fall into my preferred FR target. Most likely it is due to different recordings used to listen to T2. Most reviews that said different thing about the same IEM is either due to bad QC or simple different recording material used to evaluate the IEM. I used mostly audiophile recordings like Chesky that generally don't boost the bass and treble on their recordings. For those recordings, some mildly v-shape tuning IEMs often sound balanced.

I didn't need more IEM when I bought T2. I simply bought it because T2 sounds good to me. So, no harsh upper mid or lower treble. Mids and treble sound balanced and smooth, but it will reveal sibilant when there is sibilant on the recording. I bought T2 because I like it for vocal. YMMV.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,619 of 2,251
Well, the local store here was selling the TFZ Tequilla 1 in half of it's price. Another interesting option :L3000:

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,620 of 2,251
@baskingshark I saw the review of Tequilla & it was a V shaped IEM that are even more bass-heavy than no. 3. It also has better resolution and bigger soundstage. Something a basshead would approve I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back