The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,516 of 2,251
I have ordered 2 pairs. 1 for myself and another for my mom...because the bear is really cute. I have heard pretty much about TFZ and wanted to try them out. (Bcos I'm a KZ fan wanting to see if TFZ does a better job as some claims to). Unfortunately, I totally forgot about the golden week break in China which would delay my parcel for a week? (Should arrive by the 12th). I was really looking forward to it and coincidentally I saw a dealer selling this yesterday while I was shopping and decided to drop in for a demo.

First impression:
Pretty much as people above whom tested them, the mids do sound really thin. I guess I could say it felt like having a conversation with another person standing say half a metre away from you with music playing at the background? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that you barely hear anything in the "vocal" region, what I'm trying to say is that it is less pronounced. Which in my opinion is a downside. In fact, the vocals region is where the ears are sensitive to, that might also explain why it feels thinner because our brain might actually be expecting more "stimulus" in the region. With that being said, I didn't try using EQ to compensate the mids so I can't say much as of how it would affect as of now, but will definitely try EQing when my set arrives. The clarity of the vocals is pretty good, not harsh (usually allow happens in the higher vocal frequencies @8-10k? This region in most instances comes from female vocals) and good sibilance. The bass is not as strong as the KZs in my opinion (at least in comparison to ZS10pro), could be an effect from being drier and less punchy. The treble, in general, is nice, nothing spectacular.

The frequency response chart released by TFZ suggested some emphasis in the female vocals with the remaining spectrum to be generally flat, definitely not what I hear. In fact, I would say it is in fact generally falt throughout the whole spectrum. I think this earpiece is more like a "reference" earpiece where its' flat nature reflects the songs accurately as it was composed. Most of the earpieces in the market is somewhat "coloured" to give better audio experience in some genres of songs. So depending on if you are a hard-core audiophile looking at accuracy or hobbyist wanting to have better overall experience, you might like/dislike this.

Because this is just a short demo, I didn't try out some tricks that can improve audio experiences. And judging that it is newly launched and is just a demo, my guess would be that it hadn't been "burned in" or at least operated long enough to reflect its' true capability. I'm not here to debate about the need of the burn-in process, but from my own experience, burning in do make an impact on the DD especially the bass region and I would say hardly or probably not at all in affecting the BAs.

If you ask me if this is worth it base on first impression, yes and no... In comparison to KS 10pro, I would say no. In comparison to ZSN & ZSN pro, probably yes because of the less harsh nature in the vocals.

I will do a proper review maybe after using it for 3 days? One thing to take note of is that I tested the s2 pro with a flat tfz cable instead of the supposedly new upgraded silver-plated copper cable. Not sure how much it affects the experience.

Alright its been awhile somebody post an opinion about what they listen, keep on posting and keep sending opinion. cheers!
Not to mention, kudos to the reviewers as well :)

Oct 8, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #1,517 of 2,251
I have ordered 2 pairs. 1 for myself and another for my mom...because the bear is really cute. I have heard pretty much about TFZ and wanted to try them out. (Bcos I'm a KZ fan wanting to see if TFZ does a better job as some claims to). Unfortunately, I totally forgot about the golden week break in China which would delay my parcel for a week? (Should arrive by the 12th). I was really looking forward to it and coincidentally I saw a dealer selling this yesterday while I was shopping and decided to drop in for a demo.

First impression:
Pretty much as people above whom tested them, the mids do sound really thin. I guess I could say it felt like having a conversation with another person standing say half a metre away from you with music playing at the background? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that you barely hear anything in the "vocal" region, what I'm trying to say is that it is less pronounced. Which in my opinion is a downside. In fact, the vocals region is where the ears are sensitive to, that might also explain why it feels thinner because our brain might actually be expecting more "stimulus" in the region. With that being said, I didn't try using EQ to compensate the mids so I can't say much as of how it would affect as of now, but will definitely try EQing when my set arrives. The clarity of the vocals is pretty good, not harsh (usually allow happens in the higher vocal frequencies @8-10k? This region in most instances comes from female vocals) and good sibilance. The bass is not as strong as the KZs in my opinion (at least in comparison to ZS10pro), could be an effect from being drier and less punchy. The treble, in general, is nice, nothing spectacular.

The frequency response chart released by TFZ suggested some emphasis in the female vocals with the remaining spectrum to be generally flat, definitely not what I hear. In fact, I would say it is in fact generally falt throughout the whole spectrum. I think this earpiece is more like a "reference" earpiece where its' flat nature reflects the songs accurately as it was composed. Most of the earpieces in the market is somewhat "coloured" to give better audio experience in some genres of songs. So depending on if you are a hard-core audiophile looking at accuracy or hobbyist wanting to have better overall experience, you might like/dislike this.

Because this is just a short demo, I didn't try out some tricks that can improve audio experiences. And judging that it is newly launched and is just a demo, my guess would be that it hadn't been "burned in" or at least operated long enough to reflect its' true capability. I'm not here to debate about the need of the burn-in process, but from my own experience, burning in do make an impact on the DD especially the bass region and I would say hardly or probably not at all in affecting the BAs.

If you ask me if this is worth it base on first impression, yes and no... In comparison to KS 10pro, I would say no. In comparison to ZSN & ZSN pro, probably yes because of the less harsh nature in the vocals.

I will do a proper review maybe after using it for 3 days? One thing to take note of is that I tested the s2 pro with a flat tfz cable instead of the supposedly new upgraded silver-plated copper cable. Not sure how much it affects the experience.

That golden week break must be what’s holding up my Blon 03 and several cables I ordered. In 4 days I’ll be waiting 3 weeks for this batch of goodies and I believe it’s the longest I’ve ever waited for an AE shipment. 16 days was the longest.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #1,518 of 2,251
Nice review, what's the difference between the TFZ S2 Pro and the non pro version (other than the teddy bear LOL)?
Seems coming up with Pro versions is all the rage now for the CHIFI companies.
Competition. You won't see KZ doing it. Every other Chifi company is better than them. :wink:

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #1,519 of 2,251
Competition. You won't see KZ doing it. Every other Chifi company is better than them. :wink:

What did you mean? KZ has been doing "pro" for awhile. zsn pro, zs10pro... I personally like the zs10pro with improved design on the shell and some fine-tuning of drivers.

Although it is not right to compare an earpiece performance by the number of drivers, my opinion is that they generally do not perform as good as multiple drivers unit. In this case, TFZ S2 pro only has a DD (with 2 coils to reflect 2 bands of frequencies using a 2-way crossover) might be the reason why it sounded thin in the mids region.

Estimate my unit to come tmr morning(hopefully)...

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,520 of 2,251
So question between King pro and my love 2019 and the tfz n3? wich one you think its better and why? im looking for soundstage and Bass and loudness im willing to spend more also in other options i was considering BGVP DMG Thanks in advance

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,522 of 2,251
So question between King pro and my love 2019 and the tfz n3? wich one you think its better and why? im looking for soundstage and Bass and loudness im willing to spend more also in other options i was considering BGVP DMG Thanks in advance
it's hard to beat the King Pro when it comes to sound stage!! emphatic win there

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,524 of 2,251
Tx BEAR-X-MONICA-700x700.jpg

I guess they are intimating this is improved over the No.3's.

"TxBEAR X MONICA limited series will present an additional acoustic performance level based on the NO.3/3 TI driver."

Fighting for that $99 slot :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,525 of 2,251
Tx BEAR-X-MONICA-700x700.jpg

I guess they are intimating this is improved over the No.3's.

"TxBEAR X MONICA limited series will present an additional acoustic performance level based on the NO.3/3 TI driver."

Fighting for that $99 slot :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/
http://www.lendmeurears.com/tfz-t-x-bear-monica/

This is the link for the details on the TxBear X MONICA. Looks very interesting and quite reasonable in price point. I've always liked the TFZ No. 3's bass. But as usual, TFZ comes up with some outrageous naming convention for their IEM. And is that a bear design on the shell? I know my avatar's a bear, but I'm not gonna be wearing a bear IEM outside =(

Description

• 3rd generation patented M1U: The new M1U driver utilities a diamond diaphragm that greatly increased, the density and thickness of the sound.
  • Ergonomic design: The design is ergonomic, comfortable and stable to wear.
  • Detachable Design: Adopts 0.78mm 2 pin design cable design
Specification:

• Unit: 11.4mm double magnetic driver
  • Magnet material: NdFeB N50
  • Frequency response range: 5Hz-40kHz
  • Impedance: 24ohm
  • Sensitivity: 107dB/mW
  • Cable: 2pin 0.78mm detachable cable

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,526 of 2,251
Thanks!!!! dough its the same driver than my love right? how good is the bass? can you compare it with TFZ my love and n3? if you will by private msg? I apreciate this feedback i relly like tfz the king specs and graphs
I'm afraid i haven't heard the other two to comment about it...

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #1,527 of 2,251
My s2 pro just got delivered. Took a few pics and quickly tried it out. The cable is the same to the one tested with the demo (probably just the colour of cable differ from the advertised white).

But I found something weird, originally I said the mids were lacking, but for some reason, the mids were definitely clearer and stronger than before. But that region remains "dull", nothing really spectacular. What I'm trying to say is that it sounded more balanced. By my hearing, the overall response is pretty flat (similar to what I concluded before, now including the mids). Something that I didn't notice back then was the driver flex or some people would call it the "static" sound when the music starts or stops. Not sure if this is permanent or because the DD is really new so it hyper-reacts, I have experienced the flex gone after a week of use, we shall see!

Again, this is the 1st impression of a totally new unit. Like I have mentioned, I will give a proper review say after 3 days to "warm-up" the dynamic units. I shall not use the word "burn-in" before people start burning me. :frowning2: I have gotten quite used to KZ's tuning with foam tips. I will try replacing the tips with foam and listen for the difference. 1st time reviewing a TFZ hadn't tried the old cable before so there is no mentionable information. I do own the silver-coated and the gold-silver coated cable from KZ, I will probably try them out as well. I will definitely try EQ, as much as it reflects the intended mix of songs more accurately, it is boring to me.

Another thing is that I hear hissing from my PC source... not sure if this s2 pro is so sensitive that it picked up the supposedly unnoticeable noise from PC or the cable is not as good as anticipated and is prone to noise pickup.

Based on solely 1st impression of respective units, kz ZS10pro > CCA C10 > s2 pro > zsn pro > zsn. The ZS10Pro and CCA C10 is a no debate better earpiece. s2 pro and zsn pro is debatable based on audio taste. I find s2 pro really flat and more suitable as a reference than day to day use simply because it is kinda dull. Zsn pro downside is the 8k-11k sibilance and harshness by the female vocal. Simply put, for overall fun sound choose zsn pro and if you don't want to feel as if you were being yelled at by ladies, no offence just puns, choose the s2 pro. At the price point, ZS10pro and CCA C10 are more worth it, but their downside is slightly less comfortable due to weight.

Hopefully, this helps people on the verge of buying. If you can endure, please wait for another 3-4 days for more detailed review.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,528 of 2,251
Now we have King Edition for which the switch is for impedance lower and higher.. https://penonaudio.com/tfz-king-edition.html
Still the Monica/No. 3 and 3Ti/ Queen LTD driver as well. King Edition 2 will most likely be the same thing with the King III driver(still the same essentially but upgraded magnet and VC) and I might guess a wider impedance setting. King Edition only adds 20 Ohm with the switch.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,529 of 2,251
My advice would be Tequila 1ó King UPD
Can you tell me why you like that IEM...for some reason to my eyes, it looks like its some kids earbuds.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #1,530 of 2,251
My s2 pro just got delivered. Took a few pics and quickly tried it out. The cable is the same to the one tested with the demo (probably just the colour of cable differ from the advertised white).

But I found something weird, originally I said the mids were lacking, but for some reason, the mids were definitely clearer and stronger than before. But that region remains "dull", nothing really spectacular. What I'm trying to say is that it sounded more balanced. By my hearing, the overall response is pretty flat (similar to what I concluded before, now including the mids). Something that I didn't notice back then was the driver flex or some people would call it the "static" sound when the music starts or stops. Not sure if this is permanent or because the DD is really new so it hyper-reacts, I have experienced the flex gone after a week of use, we shall see!

Again, this is the 1st impression of a totally new unit. Like I have mentioned, I will give a proper review say after 3 days to "warm-up" the dynamic units. I shall not use the word "burn-in" before people start burning me. :frowning2: I have gotten quite used to KZ's tuning with foam tips. I will try replacing the tips with foam and listen for the difference. 1st time reviewing a TFZ hadn't tried the old cable before so there is no mentionable information. I do own the silver-coated and the gold-silver coated cable from KZ, I will probably try them out as well. I will definitely try EQ, as much as it reflects the intended mix of songs more accurately, it is boring to me.

Another thing is that I hear hissing from my PC source... not sure if this s2 pro is so sensitive that it picked up the supposedly unnoticeable noise from PC or the cable is not as good as anticipated and is prone to noise pickup.

Based on solely 1st impression of respective units, kz ZS10pro > CCA C10 > s2 pro > zsn pro > zsn. The ZS10Pro and CCA C10 is a no debate better earpiece. s2 pro and zsn pro is debatable based on audio taste. I find s2 pro really flat and more suitable as a reference than day to day use simply because it is kinda dull. Zsn pro downside is the 8k-11k sibilance and harshness by the female vocal. Simply put, for overall fun sound choose zsn pro and if you don't want to feel as if you were being yelled at by ladies, no offence just puns, choose the s2 pro. At the price point, ZS10pro and CCA C10 are more worth it, but their downside is slightly less comfortable due to weight.

Hopefully, this helps people on the verge of buying. If you can endure, please wait for another 3-4 days for more detailed review.
Could you compare it with other TFZs?.

Also I would like to ask you guys. Which microphone cables do you recommend for the TFZs 0.78mm? And is the TFZ Bluetooth cable worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back