The "forget you're wearing headphones" effect
Sep 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

_jon

New Head-Fier
Hey all, newbie here again.

I've really been enjoying my new German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitors for the past month or so. They have a very up-front and detailed presentation which is very ideal for my mixing/monitoring work.

However now I am looking for another set of cans to compliment them in the opposite way - a can that delivers a beautiful, open sound with an extremely wide soundstage. Sort of the "evil twin" of the 8.35's. Or maybe the 8.35's are the evil twin, and I'm looking for the good twin
tongue_smile.gif
:

I'm looking for headphones which would most successfully make me forget I'm wearing headphones, and put me -inside- the music. While I love the 8.35 D's, I want something which can give me this super-headstage sort of effect. Maybe even "distant" would be the right word, but still lush and enjoyable for pleasure listening??

Recently I've been drooling over reviews of the DT880 600 Ohm's, specifically froom Moon Audio. Would this be a good place to start? Any other suggestions?

BTW, comfort is important too! I loved the sound of my first Alessandro MS-1's (Rest in peace..
frown.gif
) but could not stand those supra-aural pads for extended listening sessions.

Any help or suggestions you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Budget would be in the ~$500 territory I'd say.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 24
Try to look for a SR-Lambda/Adaptor combo on the FS forum if you already have a speaker amp of some sort. It should cost you around $300 and might even replace your Maestro as you new reference can. IMO the SR-Lambda is really a no brainer at that price since nothing comes close to its performance at that price.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 24
Cool! Thanks, I'll check it out.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 24
any good dynamic options I could plug right into my own setup (sig updated with noob equipment)? not sure if I'm ready to take the electrostatics plunge yet..

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 24
I had a DT 880 600ohm, it was indeed comfortable enough that I would forget I was wearing them (although the earcups were a bit small, my ears were squeezed up against them). But the sound signature did not allow me to get lost in the music. I would recommend a K701, the sound signature permits that feeling with the right setup. And after you get used to them they are indeed very comfortable. Might look at a K702, as from what I understand the number of bumps is different (there are two bumps spread evenly at the very top vs the single bump on the k701).

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 24
One of things to consider about the K701/K702 is the headband. It seems 50/50 for some the bumps will eventually become painful for others it's comfortable.

After relaxing the headband, extending HD650/HD600 as far as they go and then gently bend the metal part outward, and after some use (soften the ear pads), HD650/HD600 for most is very comfortable and the sound signature is relaxing. HD650 is a headphone you can listen to for days, far from fatiguing but still maintains great detail. My vote for your needs is the HD650.

As for headstage, it is a completely open design. But it's not as wide from what I've read than the K701/K702. But then some noted the K701/K702 headstage is artificial, too wide. AD900/AD700/2000 have a forward sound, it may fatigue for some, for others it's their favorite. But very comfortable headband, and giant fluffy earpads.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 24
Have you tried the new pads with the 8.35D Monitors? 10$ well worth a shot they change the signature more then you may think. Try that first if you are not sure you want another headphone

As for soundstage and forget you are wearing headphones the Pro 900 is the one that does it most often for me. Superb soundstaging and tons of detail that put you in the middle of the recording. Fits that description like a glove

However you could also complement your 8.35D Monitors with some 435S. Like the 450 Pro they are much more open than the 8.35D. That certainly have a closed signature particularly with the stock pads even though it can surprise you by going ultra wide at times.

Pro 900/450 Pro is an excellent combo for me. But I am replacing the 8.35D monitors and 450 Pro for the 435S hopefully. Different but both is superb allrounders.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 24
I always forget I have my Senns on. The HE60 is second hand and seems to have fitted a bigger head than mine. Very comfortable. I'd think the HD600/650 with some gentle bending would apply too, a bit grippy at first but very comfortable after it gets used to your head.
I also forget the Grado RS1 until they start to itch after an hour or three. Very light headphones, almost floating over your head.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 24
Thanks for the opinions guys.

oqvist: I am definitely curious about changing the pads on the 8.35 monitors, but I think I remember some reports that the bass drops out a little - maybe I'm a budding basshead but I don't know if I could part with any of the 8.35 D's bass. I even want more at times. This is why I'm a little partial against the K701 as well.

Also for the sake of experimentation I'd be more interested in branching out to another brand. The Pro 900 have always interested me. Can they really be closed cans that sound more open than proper open cans?

HD650 have potential too for their notably relaxed and smooth sound. However I'm scared of the "boring" and "veiled"-ness. Then again, maybe one man's boring is another man's smooth and relaxing. There's only one way to find out.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 24
I would recommend K701/2 for this, but they are still quite detailed too. HD650 are a good choice but I think W5000 is even smoother than HD650 but lack a bit of bass, its soundstage is actually pretty good even if they are closed.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by _jon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 have potential too for their notably relaxed and smooth sound. However I'm scared of the "boring" and "veiled"-ness. Then again, maybe one man's boring is another man's smooth and relaxing. There's only one way to find out.

Coming from a guy used to Grados, the 650s are not boring, as long as you have them at their volume "sweet spot" and have an amp that has a little bit of grunt.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 24
x2

a lot depends on the amp you use and personal preference, but my Solo + HD650 is not boring
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm using a HiFiMan EF2.

HD650 is becoming more and more attractive.

Again, I want to compliment the GMP 8.35 D's upfront, punchy, accurate qualities with something that will put the music "around" me rather than "on" me.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 24
It's nice to see the HD650's getting some great press on the background of the newly released HD800 and PS1000's. It's a great pair of cans. I've resurrected them and far more appreciate them these days. I'd never sell them and agree that they're not boring and yet, have a very non-fatiguing presentation. It's my current pair of choice for the really extended listening sessions both from the point of view of sound and comfort.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 24
The AD700 is the only headphone that gives me the said effect out of all my headphones. But their fitting will vary among people so you may want to try one out first. And since your budget is higher, you may want to look to either AD900 or AD2000 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back