The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,321 of 6,671

Well, in my estimation, some drivers don't get ruined. If a technician is dextrous enough, the acrylic can be shaved down to manageable widths around each of the drivers, allowing for limited reassembly inside a new shell. It might not work for every ear, especially if the new ear is really small, but I think it's possible. For the same user to reshell, I think it's definitely possible. FitEar shells aren't completely filled; I've seen a Private 333 with an accidental crack in the shell, and the interior is hollow. It's just that the FitEar M.O. is to place drivers close to the front of the canal (most likely due to compensation for tube and canal resonance due to the shallower fit design), that and the triple-bore design requires a very thinly cured shell, so they have to add in more acrylic later. However, contrary to popular opinion, the shell is not completely filled --- that is a myth (that I erroneously helped popularize back in the day). If people remember user zowki's unfortunate accident a while back, they they'll be able to see that much of the driver assembly is salvageable, at least for a TO GO! 334.

I believe most, if not all FitEar's universals are only half filled with acrylic, which is the case of the Parterre and TG334 (haven't touched the F111 but I reckon there would be no difference), contrary to what we often see with their customs. And if my guess is correct, back in the day FitEar didn't completely fill their customs with resin. I've seen several 333 and even some MH334 in hollow shells with no internal silver wires but there was probably a point in time when they switched the production process and we ended up with what we have today. The chance of reshelling a recently made customs (completely filled with acrylic) is very slim, the problem isn't about removing all the resin covering around the metal casing but it's about how to keep the soldering pads of the drivers intact. That's the weakest part of a BA and most drivers are ruined when they're scavenged improperly due to broken pads.

The last possibility is that some of the drivers that Suyama has ordered are getting 'leaked' into the grey market. I've seen drivers specific for JHA and Westone being sold on Taobao, If people recall, the UM Miracle used surplus parts from the JH13 at the beginning. Of course, UM had to scratch off the markings because those drivers weren't meant for them. The Heir Audio 6.A was a limited production run for the same reason. Knowles accidentally sold a proprietary DTEC driver (not sure from which company) to Dr. Moulton. Thus, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that UM/Rooth has the ability to get its hands on drivers meant for FitEar.

Of course, all this is speculation. I have no substantiated evidence that would support the definite reality of any of these possibilities.

I'm pretty sure UM scrapes off all of their drivers, except for dynamic ones, regardless whether they're proprietary or not.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #1,322 of 6,671
listening to TG334s out of AK100 now, they just sound so sweet and with a greater sense of transparency...solute! the 334 is definitely the more balanced one to my ears compared with the 335DW

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,323 of 6,671
listening to TG334s out of AK100 now, they just sound so sweet and with a greater sense of transparency...solute! the 334 is definitely the more balanced one to my ears compared with the 335DW

Are you using stock AK100?
If stock, you miss out on the 334 bass decay and bloom. The high frequency sounds clearer though, IMHO.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #1,328 of 6,671
it should be like the RWAK100 as the output impedance has been removed.
It's not removed but just reduced like the AK120. The AK100Mk2 has a 3 ohm Zout. RWAK100 is still sub 1 ohm.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,330 of 6,671
Impression on Toxic Cables Silver Poison and Silver Widow on Fitear MH335DW.

I’m very fortunate enough to have a chance to listen on several aftermarket cables for Fitear IEM/CIEM. I already owned ALO SXC24, Moon Audio silver dragon, and Toxic Cables virus. Those cables are SPC, pure silver, and hybrid copper/silver, respectively. Frank from Toxic Cables is very generous, he send out two of his cables “silver poison” and “silver widow” for me and AnakChan, which both of us owned MH335DW, to try it out.

According to the description on Frank’s profile, both silver poison and silver widow are made from OCC stranded silver with gold. Now that both cables are passed 125 hours burn-in period. Here are my thoughts on both cables with my MH335DW.

Silver poison
First thing that I notice is that the trebles is extend much further than other cables that I have try except Tralucent Silver/Gold. It’s enable me to hear lots of details that I didn’t notice before from the song that I repeatedly listen on daily basis. Not only the details that this cable bring out, the clarity of the sound is also remarkable. The combination of clean and clarity sound make the trebles sound a bit airy in some sense. Mids are also very details and forwarded as always for all of models for Fitear. Bass is tight and well control. The bass impact is slightly less and feel a bit dry.

Soundstage is not consider wide but still have reasonable width to it. The separation is ok. The overall feeling that I get is that it sound intimate and slightly lack of depth. The cable itself is very flexible but slightly thicker compare to ALO or Moon Audio cables.

Silver widow
Trebles of silver widow is quite similar to silver poison. It’s extended nicely with lots of details and clarity. The difference is that the trebles is not sound airy like the poison. It has a bit of warm and smoothness. Mids are contain lots of details but not as forward as silver poison. Bass is also tight, smooth, and very details. It’s also extended nicely into sub-bass with much better impact.

Soundstate of silver widow is incredible. Width, depth, separation are excellent. Much better than silver poison. You can feel it has better 3D rendering of instruments. Overall feeling is that this cable is more open and present better layering of instruments. The silver widow using thicker wire than silver poison (25.5 AWG vs. 26 AWG), thus it slightly stiffer and feel heavier than silver poison but still a lot better than ALO cable.

The price of silver poison is £175 or about $280, while silver widow is £235 or about $380. Both cables sound excellent. The improvement at high frequency range is great.

Both cables are on the way to AnakChan today.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,331 of 6,671

Is it 3 ohms so that it doesn't steal the AK120's thunder?

[OT]
The AK120 is also 3 ohm though?
[/OT]

Impression on Toxic Cables Silver Poison and Silver Widow on Fitear MH335DW.

I’m very fortunate enough to have a chance to listen on several aftermarket cables for Fitear IEM/CIEM. I already owned ALO SXC24, Moon Audio silver dragon, and Toxic Cables virus. Those cables are SPC, pure silver, and hybrid copper/silver, respectively. Frank from Toxic Cables is very generous, he send out two of his cables “silver poison” and “silver widow” for me and AnakChan, which both of us owned MH335DW, to try it out.

According to the description on Frank’s profile, both silver poison and silver widow are made from OCC stranded silver with gold. Now that both cables are passed 125 hours burn-in period. Here are my thoughts on both cables with my MH335DW.

Silver poison
First thing that I notice is that the trebles is extend much further than other cables that I have try except Tralucent Silver/Gold. It’s enable me to hear lots of details that I didn’t notice before from the song that I repeatedly listen on daily basis. Not only the details that this cable bring out, the clarity of the sound is also remarkable. The combination of clean and clarity sound make the trebles sound a bit airy in some sense. Mids are also very details and forwarded as always for all of models for Fitear. Bass is tight and well control. The bass impact is slightly less and feel a bit dry.

Soundstage is not consider wide but still have reasonable width to it. The separation is ok. The overall feeling that I get is that it sound intimate and slightly lack of depth. The cable itself is very flexible but slightly thicker compare to ALO or Moon Audio cables.

Silver widow
Trebles of silver widow is quite similar to silver poison. It’s extended nicely with lots of details and clarity. The difference is that the trebles is not sound airy like the poison. It has a bit of warm and smoothness. Mids are contain lots of details but not as forward as silver poison. Bass is also tight, smooth, and very details. It’s also extended nicely into sub-bass with much better impact.

Soundstate of silver widow is incredible. Width, depth, separation are excellent. Much better than silver poison. You can feel it has better 3D rendering of instruments. Overall feeling is that this cable is more open and present better layering of instruments. The silver widow using thicker wire than silver poison (25.5 AWG vs. 26 AWG), thus it slightly stiffer and feel heavier than silver poison but still a lot better than ALO cable.

The price of silver poison is £175 or about $280, while silver widow is £235 or about $380. Both cables sound excellent. The improvement at high frequency range is great.

Both cables are on the way to AnakChan today.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts MTTF. Definitely interesting to hear your impressions. Looking forward to receiving the cables to have a listen now.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,332 of 6,671
MTTF, do you have more technical spec information about the differences between the Silver Poison and Silver Widow? Does the Silver Widow have more gold content than the Silver Poison?

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,333 of 6,671
I know that silver poison is up to 1% gold. Frank said it's vary from batch to batch (some came out 0.7 and 0.9 for others). He never mention how much gold content in the silver widow but I suspected that it should higher than 1%.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,334 of 6,671
  I know that silver poison is up to 1% gold. Frank said it's vary from batch to batch (some came out 0.7 and 0.9 for others). He never mention how much gold content in the silver widow but I suspected that it should higher than 1%.

I dug around and found a little more info from the Toxic thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread/1260#post_8924398). Looks like Frank's pricing has gone up a little as the price below is from Dec last year - or he charges a little more for the Sennheiser/FitEar connectors  :-

Silver Poison  26AWG £155    (OCC Stranded Silver with upto 1% Gold/Cryo) Available in clear only.
Silver Widow 25.5AWG  £210   (OCC Stranded Litz Silver with Gold/Cryo) Available in clear only.

So the Sliver Widow is a Litz Silver. Probably with that and whatever gold content makes a noticeable difference to the MH335DW.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,335 of 6,671

I dug around and found a little more info from the Toxic thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread/1260#post_8924398). Looks like Frank's pricing has gone up a little as the price below is from Dec last year - or he charges a little more for the Sennheiser/FitEar connectors  :-

Silver Poison  26AWG £155    (OCC Stranded Silver with upto 1% Gold/Cryo) Available in clear only.
Silver Widow 25.5AWG  £210   (OCC Stranded Litz Silver with Gold/Cryo) Available in clear only.

So the Sliver Widow is a Litz Silver. Probably with that and whatever gold content makes a noticeable difference to the MH335DW.

Fitear version is a bit more expensive. Probably due to the lower order volume. If you look at his profile, all the updated prices are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back