The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,671
Looks like there's a new custom IEM from FitEar MH335DW. The DW stands for Double Woofer.

Photo courtesy of Fujiya Avic.

There's very little info about the MH335DW at the moment.

Edit: Title changed from "New FitEar MH335DW Custom IEM" to "The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread"

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 6,671
Sounds like a potential Xover nightmare unless this is just going for boom boom.  Is there even enough air volume to move?

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 6,671
Tomscy2000 mentioned it could be a consumer version of the pro.

BTW, funny you're curious cos U mentioned about the MH335DW back in Dec so I thought U'd know more!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-iem-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-18-reviews-acs-t1-live-added-3-4-12/1050#post_8094596

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 6,671

Quote:
Tomscy2000 mentioned it could be a consumer version of the pro.
BTW, funny you're curious cos U mentioned about the MH335DW back in Dec so I thought U'd know more!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-iem-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-18-reviews-acs-t1-live-added-3-4-12/1050#post_8094596

Ah, I did mention it by name back then.  All of my attempted contacts with FitEar so far have gone unanswered unfortunately.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 6,671
Quote:
Sounds like a potential Xover nightmare unless this is just going for boom boom.  Is there even enough air volume to move?

FitEar fills up their shells with acrylic, so no FitEar design will ever accomodate vented drivers. The second thing is that if it's in a 335 configuration, it will be a dual driver woofer (my guess/assumption is that they're either using the Sonion 3300 or 3800, as they already use a Sonion 3300 for the mids), meaning it won't necessarily output 'twice the bass'.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 6,671
Looks like FitEar has updated their page to announce the MH335DW. It's pricier than the C435 :-

http://fitear.jp/music/product/mh335dw.html

There's more pix of the MH335DW. Not too sure if I understand it properly but it seems to be based off the 334 but just with lower extensions (as such the Double Woofer).

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 6,671
$2000...it better be good

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 6,671
It's hard to tell from the heavy refraction of the acrylic-filled shells, but it looks like the mid-driver is different from before (smaller), to make room for an absolutely massive dual woofer in the middle. I guess they weren't kidding about the 'DW' part! Also, I can't tell what driver that huge dual woofer is... it might be a new component not yet listed by Knowles/Sonion.

Also, there has never been more English on their website; I wonder if they'be done that on purpose? I know it might just be something of a particular design choice for websites in foreign languages, but it could also mean that they're slowly becoming more foreigner-friendly.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 6,671

Quote:

exactly. cant imagine what is going to give this iem the ability to be 2 times better than a iem half its price. i know that fitear is quality but that is just expensive.

Stop derping around.  Obviously it won't be two times the quality.  Past the 400-600 dollar mark the price performance ratio becomes less and less efficient and the concept of diminishing marginal returns applies.  But I do agree in that the price is what the hell ridiculous.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 6,671

Quote:

Stop derping around.  Obviously it won't be two times the quality.  Past the 400-600 dollar mark the price performance ratio becomes less and less efficient and the concept of diminishing marginal returns applies.  But I do agree in that the price is what the hell ridiculous.

lol I'm not even sure if the return is still a positive one.... might just be a horizontal one... since it is getting so close to the top.. (meaning just different sound signature, not better technically)

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 6,671

Quote:

well i know that jude has said that the acrylic is almost 100% free of defects like bubbles and the sort. so the iem is of great quality, that and said the cable are very flush mount and fitment is great...but that doesnt govern double the price i agree. and i also agree that in this hobby ALOT of money only produces slight marginal gains if that.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 6,671

Quote:

well i know that jude has said that the acrylic is almost 100% free of defects like bubbles and the sort. so the iem is of great quality, that and said the cable are very flush mount and fitment is great...but that doesnt govern double the price i agree. and i also agree that in this hobby ALOT of money only produces slight marginal gains if that.

If it's made in Japan, by Japanese, following Japanese standards, I see no reason for not paying double the price.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 6,671
Actually in addition, it's -for- Japan too. I don't think FitEar is planning on international release.

Bear in mind overseas products in Japan are also marked up - e.g. Compare the price of RSA's SR-71B in US vs Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back