The fit of Etymotic IEM's in general
Oct 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mscott2757

New Head-Fier
I've been considering getting the MC3's but the thing I've been worried about is the fit. I'm pretty sure that my ears are kind of small as I use the smallest set of buds that came with my Skullcandys(50/50) So I'm wondering about whether they will fit my ears because I've heard that Etymotics are very uncomfortable for most people in general. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 19
You should be fine. I have small ears too. Don't shove them in too deep, but not too shallow either. Just enough to get your seal. Another choice is for custom tips (100 dollars though).

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 19
Ety tips feel uncomfortable for a day or 2, but you will like the sound so much that you will get used to the feel.

BTW, the MC3 will be a sonic opposite of the skullcandy -- at first they will seem bright and missing bass. Again, give your ears/brain a day or 2 to get used to clean accurate sound. You can thank us later!

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 19
The best isolation is using the triple, and yes they are a bit uncomfortable..

I've only used the Gliders and the triple's, and there are differences in both sound and fit, Gliders are also a bit shorter so they dont go as far in as the triple's...

As u can read in other threads a lot of ppl use Shure Olives, and they can be the happy medium, but i never tried them..

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 19
Accurate sound yes, but the soundstage is thin and u feel a bit "isolated" both in fit and in soundstage with Ety.

But i grew to love my HF3 eventho i like a good amount basspunch (Hifi systems usually tho), but i dont want it to bleed into the music through iems and only focuse on this, and lower tier iems have to smack u over the head with sloppy bass to get noticed, and its in no way a good thing..

I guess the MC series is a good way to start, if one doesnt like the Ety sound, you havnt spent so much cash to try it out..

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Congratulations. I have no idea how some of the people could describe the fit of Ety IEMs as torturous as they say. I prefer Ety's fit (and sound!) over all other IEMs including SE535, CK10 with hybrids, and customs.  

I prefer the triples and the low weight of the phones, hate single tips and the shallow fit like the plague...

Im also used to hearing protection at work - foam and triples (at home too sometimes - wifes u know...), and now i use my HF3 as a music companion and to block out noise at work...

I dont find them fragile either, altho u cant yank or hang yourself in them, and over the ear fitment is the best, and in my case they can be pushed further in for a better sound, so one need to experiment with the fit depending on your earsize and so on..

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Oct 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 19
For me the fit of etys (and triple flanges in general) are much too uncomfortable to warrant long term use. My ears are on the smallish side although I use medium tips with dbas and gr07. I think its more ear canal depth that is the problem and mine are just too shallow. Everyone should try them but in my experience something like ck10s or gr07 are much more comfortable to the point that I can forget they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back