The first Jazz cd in my collection
Nov 6, 2008 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

punkerdood

New Head-Fier
...Is something I want to buy. The only Jazz I've heard has been at coffee shops around the city. It's interesting, but a whole genre that I have no idea about.

Now I'm sitting in Iraq. with my first set of real headphones (shure ES530's) and my first amp (headroom portable micro amp) plugged into my laptop. No coffee shops around for me to go ask the 'barrista' what's playing on the loudspeakers.

So the question is:
What is going to be the first jazz cd I am going to buy off amazon?

Help me out here.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 22
Okay, 'first' might be more of a philosophical point of mind. Even though I just plopped $1k down on accouterments, I have enough left over for.... 3 CD's. I'm looking for an introduction that is sure to please. Give a thought to sitting down and listening to the entire album in a sitting (which I do a lot of here).

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 22
Buy used. You'll get more for your lolly.

I suggest:

Courtney Pine - The Vision's Tale

John Coltraine - A Love Supreme

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

You might want to look for a compilation set put out by a label such as RCA or Verve or Bluenote.

Enjoy.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 22
Time Out and Kind of Blue are staples of the genre. You can't listen to jazz without ever hearing them. They are both sure to please.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 22
Miles Davis "A Tribute To Jack Johnson" If you want to splurge then "The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions".
Why? Because it's Miles and he has John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Herbie Hancock, Jack Dejohnette, Chick Corea and a few more legends.
Here is a good review of this release.
allmusic ((( A Tribute to Jack Johnson > Overview )))

First time I heard this... I was blown away!

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 22
Everyone says Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is the jazz album that even non-jazz fans own. Like, literally everyone. That's how good, transcendent and iconic it is. Start there.

Of course, because everyone here is sort of by definition a music fan, some people will obviously argue this, but if you want to get one and have zero doubts about whether or not you started in the right place, "Kind of Blue" it is.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone says Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is the jazz album that even non-jazz fans own. Like, literally everyone. That's how good, transcendent and iconic it is. Start there.

Of course, because everyone here is sort of by definition a music fan, some people will obviously argue this, but if you want to get one and have zero doubts about whether or not you started in the right place, "Kind of Blue" it is.

I second that, Kind of Blue was my first jazz album too and should be yours. It's really the best representative of what jazz is all about. And it's also one of the most accessible jazz album to get. I'll recommend you not to start with Coltraine or Mingus as their music is less accessible.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 22
And once again: Kind of Blue and Love Supreme.

Why? These are albums that mesmerize people who've never heard jazz or claim not to like jazz. For many, myself included, these were the first non-compilation jazz albums they've owned, thus beginning a love affair with jazz.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 22
Another vote for Kind of Blue. A Love Supreme is excellent but I would not start with it. I also began my journey with Herbie Hancock. You might want to get Maiden Voyage by him, perhaps as a second album after Kind of Blue. Well good luck, picking out your first jazz cds is hard. I just went through this myself.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Done and done,
On their way are:

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
1 "The Last Ditch: Britain's Resistance Plans Against the Nazis"
David Lampe; Hardcover; $31.84

1 "Kind of Blue"
Miles Davis; Audio CD; $7.49

1 "Time Out"
The Dave Brubeck Quartet; Audio CD; $7.97

1 "Blue Train"
John Coltrane; Audio CD; $12.99

1 "Birth of the Cool"
Miles Davis; Audio CD; $9.49

1 "Spanish Guitar Music"
Isaac Albeniz; Audio CD; $6.98

1 "A Love Supreme"
John Coltrane; Audio CD; $7.99

1 "Amplified: A Decade of Reinventing the Cello"
Apocalyptica; Audio CD; $16.98

Thanks for all the help folks, I'm very impressed with the quick replies.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 22
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (for sure). I have this one on VG++ vinyl, amazing!

Keep in mind "Jazz" is a pretty broad spectrum of music, it's like saying what "Rock" album should I buy.

I would also check out some David Axelrod stuff, pretty experimental.

If your taste is more towards the modern 70's spectrum of Jazz, look into George Benson.

It will take you a while, but you'll develop your own taste for what you think is Jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back