1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The first Band you fell in love with

Discussion in 'Music' started by turbomustang84, Aug 17, 2019.
First

Back
Next

Last
  1. Sonic Defender Contributor
    ??, must have my stories mixed up. I heard that the rest of the band was good with releasing, but Maynard was not motivated and basically told people he didn't really want to bother with it and that fans could just deal with it or blow. Not sure what to believe. I have to admit to not knowing much about the lawsuit, bad on me for that. Regardless, didn't like the track for streaming, just sounded recycled and I am a HUGE Tool fan so my bias is to like their material not pan it.

2. turbomustang84

Danny Carey did an interview this week and said Maynard was not to blame it was the rest and he felt bad because Maynard was getting death threat's

3. turbomustang84

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/maynard-james-keenan-tool-death-threats/

4. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Sad, can't imagine people getting that upset. For me personally all it meant was that my deep attachment to their music suffered greatly. I think over 13 years there were shifting reasons. I do know that certainly earlier Maynard did basically tell people he wasn't going to make it a priority as he was building his winery, fair enough. Also fair enough that the process is what it is, but 13 years is more than a process, there was I am sure all kinds of stuff going on and only those in the band and close really know. In the end they owe us nothing, but we also as fans have the right to feel a little put off by how it all went down. I will likely buy the album, I always have, I just don't feel that it will be an album of passion, more of obligation. I hope that I am wrong, and I frequently am, just ask my girlfriend.

For me, I look at it like this, if the idea of getting together and actually laying down an album is that onerous, or the music you are putting out feels that uninspiring to you, best to announce a retirement or indeterminate break. They could have taken the steam out of things long ago and letting it go on for 13 years is just nuts, but they're rock stars so I guess nuts is all part and parcel. Big talent, big complicated personalities.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  5. CoryGillmore
    Just two weeks left!

Dude...they owe you nor anyone else nothing. And the fact that you blame Maynard for the extended hiatus tells me you have no clue what was even going on. if you want to blame someone, blame the lawsuit they were in and blame Adam Jones, as he's said himself it was his fault even though Maynard was the one getting death threats from their entitled little bitch fans.

The new song to me sounds like a perfect progression from 10,000 Days more so than anything on Lateralus. I adore the new single and have yet to really listen to Invincible and Descending as I refuse to listen to my favorite band with shitty Youtube compression and a crowd of morons talking over the music. Couldn't make it more than a minute in without turning it off.

John2e and turbomustang84 like this.
  6. CoryGillmore
    Ah I hadn't made it this far in the thread when I wrote my response above. The new single has me crazy excited for the new record. I CAN NOT WAIT! Not that I've even been waiting that long. I basically just discovered Tool this year. I mean I liked the singles growing up[ but I never listened to a record until this past winter. I've been obsessed ever since.

turbomustang84 likes this.
  7. Sonic Defender Contributor
    That describes how I was about Tool for quite a few years myself. Their sound, song writing and raw talent just blew my mind. Still does, but I am nonetheless a little pissed that this saga took 13 years. I raised my daughter entirely in that time so 13 years is a VERY long time to get your act together in the studio.

CoryGillmore likes this.
  8. turbomustang84
    I've been an obsessed tool fan since 93 but unlike some I never felt entitled

CoryGillmore likes this.
  9. Hifiearspeakers
    The first band I fell in love with was Pink Floyd and they’re still, overall, one of my favorites to this day. I never got to see them with Roger Waters on board, but I did get to see them live once at the Hoosier Dome.

I still listen to Black Sabbath and was lucky enough to see Ozzy in concert once. I really liked Ozzmosis and I like it when Ozzy and Zakk Wylde team up.

The one band I would have loved to be able to see in concert was Led Zeppelin. But I was too young to catch any of that smoke. I have seen Page and Plant in concert, but I’m sure it’s not the same.

ADUHF and turbomustang84 like this.
  10. turbomustang84
    I got to see Pink Floyd in 77 on the Animals tour and next to the who and Tool one of the finest shows I've ever seen although somewhat hazy in my memory due to LSD and too many Thai sticks lol

Bad quality but that's the show I was at melting flaming pig and all

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Hifiearspeakers likes this.
  11. Hifiearspeakers
    Sweet!

12. serman005
    Studio--Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton.

Live--Van Halen at the Jantzen Beach Ice Rink (it's true), 1977.

Gédéon Molle and ADUHF like this.
  13. ogarrio

14. Carolina Pitbull
    The first time I heard this single I was hooked... and still consider them my favorite band of all time.

15. blackdragon87
    [​IMG]

this band, especially this album

Carolina Pitbull and serman005 like this.
First

Back
Next

Last