The first Band you fell in love with
Aug 17, 2019 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

turbomustang84

500+ Head-Fier
When I was 10 years old the Black Sabbath Album Paranoid was released which at that time I only bought 45s so I purchased Iron Man but did not really hear anything else till I was in JR High .

I went to thrifty Drug store and for 99¢ bought their first Album the self titled Black Sabbath.
Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

I then purchased Paranoid
Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.jpg

So I had the two Album's but was completely addicted.

I even started dating a girl just because she Babysit for a couple that had a Sansui Receiver and the rest of the Album's I did not own .

The couple also left us a couple of joints while we watched their kids which was very cool to a High school kid but in retrospect not great parenting on their part.
Bsmor.jpg
Black_Sabbath_We_Sold_Our_Soul_for_Rock_'n'_Roll.jpg

Black_Sabbath_Vol._4.png
Black_Sabbath_SbS.jpg
Black_Sabbath_Sabotage.jpg
Black-Sabbath-Technical-Ecstasy.jpg

Unfortunately I never got to see them live till they were touring for their last album with Ozzy
Black-Sabbath-Never-Say-Die.jpg

That concert included Boston Vanhalen and Sammy Hagar but I was there for Black Sabbath and it was a great show.

I have had several band's that really grabbed me over the years but none really compares to the first Band that captures your imagination .

So who was your first Band ?

Attachments

• Black_Sabbath_We_Sold_Our_Soul_for_Rock_'n'_Roll.jpg
    Black_Sabbath_We_Sold_Our_Soul_for_Rock_'n'_Roll.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 32
English prog/pomp rock band Magnum. Their problem was too hard for the pop crowd, but too soft for the rock crowd. Still must have been doing something right as still releasing new material to this day with two of the original members (vocalist Bob Catley (very under rated) and guitarist/songwriter Tony Clarkin). Album to check out? On A Storytellers night (either studio or live). Saw them many times back in the 90's and always put on a good show. Should have been up there with the likes of Bon Jovi and Def Leppard in terms of popularity.

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 32
English prog/pomp rock band Magnum. Their problem was too hard for the pop crowd, but too soft for the rock crowd. Still must have been doing something right as still releasing new material to this day with two of the original members (vocalist Bob Catley (very under rated) and guitarist/songwriter Tony Clarkin). Album to check out? On A Storytellers night (either studio or live). Saw them many times back in the 90's and always put on a good show. Should have been up there with the likes of Bon Jovi and Def Leppard in terms of popularity.
Every since your post I've been listening to them and they are interesting .
Really surprised I had not heard of them...
But then I was a big fan of Eloy in the early 80s and I'm pretty sure I'm a member of a small fanbase for them

Aug 17, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 32
Every since your post I've been listening to them and they are interesting .
Really surprised I had not heard of them...
But then I was a big fan of Eloy in the early 80s and I'm pretty sure I'm a member of a small fanbase for them
Check out the last release "Lost on The Road To Eternity" for how they sound now, with a new album out next year :) Wouldn't guess the singers in his 70's would you :p

Aug 17, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 32
Check out the last release "Lost on The Road To Eternity" for how they sound now, with a new album out next year :) Wouldn't guess the singers in his 70's would you :p
I will check it out ... anything that keeps me from obsessing about Tools new album coming on the 30th is a good thing .
But being a Tool fan is more like religion than just being a fan lol

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 32
Probably David Bowie, or Kraftwerk... if Bowie doesn't count as a group.

The first band I used to listen to with some regularity was The Beatles, aka The Fab Four. But Bowie was the first rock & roll act to really capture my imagination in a way that most other groups hadn't to that time.

Kraftwerk was also one of my regular go-to groups in the late 70's and 80's...

Kraftwerk_Radio_Activity_album_cover.jpg
Kraftwerk_-_Computer_World.png

Other groups that also got alot of ear time during that period were Queen and ELO. I am still a HUGE Freddie Mercury fan to this day! If there's one person in the music industry who I revere above all others though, it would have to be this guy...

368px-George_Harrison_1974.jpg

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 32
The first rock album I can remember actually listening to btw was Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Because that's what my babysitter was into at the time... It was the 60's.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 32
Deleted, OT

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 32
For me my first, and very long lasting band affiliation was Rush, big time. Now certainly less so, in fact I just don't identify with any one genre or really care to identify with any band/artist. I just consume whatever grabs me, but my music isn't part of my identity where for much of my life that wasn't true.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 32
I will check it out ... anything that keeps me from obsessing about Tools new album coming on the 30th is a good thing .
But being a Tool fan is more like religion than just being a fan lol
I'm a huge Tool fan, but really they lost me with their lack of respect for the fans. That album was forced out of them, and frankly the single they released, it is full on recycled sounding from Lateralus. They could have released it on Lateralus and it would have been seamless. I hope the rest of the album is different. I have seen them live several times and followed them for every album, but the way they treated the fans, much of the shine I had for them is gone, or at least really diminished.

I get that Maynard just wanted to make wine, but the way they left the fans hanging for years like that, kind of cruel. At least IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 32
Also slightly OT. But another rock album that stands out in my memories of the early 1970's was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

Mike_oldfield_tubular_bells_album_cover.jpg

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 32
Also slightly OT. But another rock album that stands out in my memories of the early 1970's was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

Mike_oldfield_tubular_bells_album_cover.jpg
Really liked this. The theme music from the movie, The Exorcist, based on the book by William Peter Blatty came from this album. Iconic stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 32
I'm a huge Tool fan, but really they lost me with their lack of respect for the fans. That album was forced out of them, and frankly the single they released, it is full on recycled sounding from Lateralus. They could have released it on Lateralus and it would have been seamless. I hope the rest of the album is different. I have seen them live several times and followed them for every album, but the way they treated the fans, much of the shine I had for them is gone, or at least really diminished.

I get that Maynard just wanted to make wine, but the way they left the fans hanging for years like that, kind of cruel. At least IMO.
The three songs I've heard from the album are all good but the two they are playing on tour are better than the one released for streaming.
Maynard wanted to release an album years ago and it's the other members and the lawsuit that Held it up .

I still will be waiting patiently for the new album

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 32
The first rock album I can remember actually listening to btw was Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Because that's what my babysitter was into at the time... It was the 60's.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.jpg
That's the first album I actually bought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back