The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #19,126 of 19,652
Dear respected customers,

All the existing X-Series DAPs (except X1) can work as DAC for the computer. Each time we release a new official firmware on our website and forum, we provide the DAC drivers (v1.61.0) of the players for customers to install it on Windows computer.

However, although there is no need to install the DAC driver for iOS system users, but it is still required to disable the driver signature verification for Windows 8/10 users before the installation, while the majority users are using computers running Window 8/10 nowadays. 

Therefore, in order to improve the user experience, we have made a major upgrade to this Windows DAC driver -- from the ancient v1.61.0 to the shiniest latest v3.34.0, which enables you to install the DAC driver directly without make any extra settings.

Thank Thesycon company for working with us to work out the licensing plan for their latest and greatest!  
>> Click Here for the download address of the new DAC driver
>> Click Here for the corresponding instruction about the installation

With the brand new UI of the driver, this unique DAC driver can be compatible with FiiO DAPs including X3, X5, X3II, X5II and X7.  For X3, X5, X5II and X7 users, you can just uninstall the old DAC driver and install this new driver to use directly, if you’ve ever installed.  But for X3II users, please kindly update your device to FW1.6 and then install the new DAC driver.

>> Click Here for the download address of X3II FW1.6 (X3II FW1.6 or above can be well supported by the new DAC driver)

The following is the cumulative list of main changes from driver version 1.61.0 to 3.34.0 (in chronological order, newest to oldest):
* Chg: USB buffer size default changed from Safe (16ms) to Reliable (12 ms)
* New: support for APO registration
* Fix: stop/start connector state polling timer on power down/up
* Fix: BSOD when multiple devices are connected, ASIO is playing and one device is disconnected
* Fix: channel mapping for speaker sound devices
* Chg: ASIO restores old sample rate after switching PCM/DSD mode
* New: dedicated ASIO instances supported
* Chg: KS filter/pin implementation refactored
* New: Windows 10 supported
* Fix: no ASIO reset when last device is removed
* Fix: DSD format detection improved
* Chg: control panel now shows maximum ASIO buffer size depending on the maximum supported sample rate
* Chg: report 24bit format also if device supports 32bit
  Windows 7 did not show the 32bit format
* Chg: Windows XP and Windows Vista no longer supported.
  Driver supports Windows 7 and newer.
* New: added DRM handler
* New: 64-bit API DLL included in driver installer,driver API now available to 64-bit applications or services
* Fix: control panel shows invalid ASIO buffer size warning in DSD mode, ASIO Buffer Size returned invalid min size for DSD sample rates.
* New: ASIO buffer size selection applies to DSD mode as well.
* New: Automatic ASIO buffer size selection via control panel.Automatic mode is the driver's default.
* New: ASIO buffer size 16K and 32K added in control panel.
* Chg: KS filter internal name includes AS (stream format) ID now.
* Chg: On Windows 7 and newer OS: Driver Setup does not requirethat device is connected during install
* Chg: Stream startup optimized to reduce startup latency.
  Startup delay is reduced from ~100ms to ~20ms.
* New: New control panel application, improved UI, fully customizable
* Fix: 32 bit PCM through WASAPI was not working
* Fix: send correct DSD idle pattern when streaming starts
* New: ASIO DSD mode supported, tested with Foobar

>> Click Here for more details about the changelog history

Note:  Rather than the FW1.44beta, the new firmware FW1.6 is upgraded based on the official FW1.4. Compared to the FW1.4, the main changes on the FW1.6 just include 2 points: 1.Be compatible with the new DAC driver and 2.Disabling the OTG function. So some new functions on the FW1.44beta are not available on FW1.6. 

Best Regards,

FiiO Electronics Technology Co.,Ltd

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #19,128 of 19,652
Still no go with the new DAC Drivers..:frowning2: I followed all the steps, even the one where you disable the "code signing for device drivers". Nothing. Still fails to install. Now I feel like you need the latest FW on X5 too and the reason mine is failing is because of old FW. I'm on FW 2.5 and my OS is Win7 64 Pro.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #19,129 of 19,652
Hello,

I did find a shop selling batteries for the X5 (China of course), but I have not found an information here about how to open the X5 without breaking/damaging anything. Can you help me with that?

see Page 914

JK 586090
IG12A

(I should update my name to "K500Lover", since AKG K500 are my favorites now. I guess it was not the best idea to use a headphone name ...).

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #19,130 of 19,652
I've seen HF posts indicating several people have had success using 200Gb SD disks with the X5.  Has anyone tried using even larger disks?  Amazon has a Sandisk 512Gb SD.  So theoretically, with 2 of those, you'd have a whopping 1TB!  The disks aren't cheap, but I haven't seen anything else that looks like it might have this much capacity.  And I have no doubt the prices will come down.

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #19,131 of 19,652
@jocar37 This probably won't work, but if I remember with the iPod Video mods they use mSata SSD for storage, which those go up to at least 1TB currently.  I don't know if that much space would be too much for the iPod to handle.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #19,132 of 19,652
Saoshyant - Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand anything you said.  I have an iPod Classic, but never heard of an iPod Video. I don't know how msata would be used by an iPod.  My Classic is 160Gb, but it's fixed storage.

so back to my original question.  Has anyone tried SD cards larger than 200GB with the Fiio X5 2nd Gen?

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #19,133 of 19,652
  @jocar37 This probably won't work, but if I remember with the iPod Video mods they use mSata SSD for storage, which those go up to at least 1TB currently.  I don't know if that much space would be too much for the iPod to handle.

Holy crap! This grabbed my curiousity and sure enough people have done this with the legendary iriver H320 and H120 players! 

Saoshyant - Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand anything you said.  I have an iPod Classic, but never heard of an iPod Video. I don't know how msata would be used by an iPod.  My Classic is 160Gb, but it's fixed storage.

so back to my original question.  Has anyone tried SD cards larger than 200GB with the Fiio X5 2nd Gen?

I don't think I've read anything. Theoretically it supports up to 2tb microsd cards, but then there's all the compatibility stuff. Maybe @Joe Bloggs can comment.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #19,135 of 19,652
  FiiO X5 uses micro SD cards.

r2

you're right! that detail escaped me. however, I did read that the SDXC format allows 2TB capacity, and that a company called Microdia announced plans to market a 512GB microSD last year (for $1000!!).  Doesn't look however like it's available yet .  But it's only a matter of time... and money.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #19,136 of 19,652
Great...for some reason my PC will no longer recognize my X5. Despite everything else working fine (including it's ability to charge) neither the storage nor the DAC mode will engage. Worked fine just a week ago.

I've tried multiple USB cables
Factory Restart
Reset Button
Reinstalled Firmware

All to no avail! 

Did my X5 seriously just randomly **** the bed or could something else be the problem? So pissed right now...

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #19,137 of 19,652
  Great...for some reason my PC will no longer recognize my X5. Despite everything else working fine (including it's ability to charge) neither the storage nor the DAC mode will engage. Worked fine just a week ago.

I've tried multiple USB cables
Factory Restart
Reset Button
Reinstalled Firmware

All to no avail! 

Did my X5 seriously just randomly **** the bed or could something else be the problem? So pissed right now...

May sound weird, but I had an issue where a certain USB port wouldn't recognize it. Maybe try a different port/computer?

Otherwise some compressed air might clean out something that's blocking the contact point.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #19,138 of 19,652

May sound weird, but I had an issue where a certain USB port wouldn't recognize it. Maybe try a different port/computer?

Otherwise some compressed air might clean out something that's blocking the contact point.

I've tried on three computers in both storage and DAC mode. No good.

Blew out the port as best I could with my mouth. No good. 

How can the USB be jacked but still charge and nothing else be wrong with it? What could even cause this? Damn...I swear to God...

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #19,139 of 19,652
I would guess the pins for data aren't making contact. 

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-connector-pinout

Sorry to hear that make. I'm super cautious about charging and connecting my unit for this reason. USB contacts wear out over time. Hopefully others can chime in here. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #19,140 of 19,652
  I would guess the pins for data aren't making contact. 

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-connector-pinout

Sorry to hear that make. I'm super cautious about charging and connecting my unit for this reason. USB contacts wear out over time. Hopefully others can chime in here. 

Connector looks fine. No missing or bent pins. I can only assume that something on the inside has messed up. Something short circuited perhaps? Just weird though that both functions would stop working but that the charging function...the one part I would expect to mess up...is perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back