The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #18,286 of 19,652
I've always wondered, what does PCM stand for? I understand every format is PCM if it's not DSD, but... what is it?

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #18,287 of 19,652
Doesn't X5 convert DSD to PCM anyways? I thought there was no real benefit for DSD unless you bought X5ii, which plays DSD natively. Am I wrong on that?

You are correct, the X5 converts DSD to PCM on the SoC, but there is still a blip between songs. As for a benefit playing DSD natively on the X5ii I simply can't hear it.

Didn't mean that there was any benefit of DSD - more why bother at all with X5 Classic anyway since it converts to PCM.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #18,290 of 19,652
Sep 6, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #18,292 of 19,652
How about going digitally into an Ifi micro from the x5? Would that make a difference?

Just tried it coaxial out from the X5 to the HA-1 coaxial in playing DSD. Even though the X5 converts DSD to 24/88.2 through the digital coaxial output I still hear some slight static between DSD tracks. I have no idea about the ifi micro as I don't have one to try it with.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #18,293 of 19,652
I'll have a listen my micro. It is a pity, although I guess it's less than a needle going down onto an LP!! Trouble is, it's every track.

I don't worry particularly about the format really so DSD or PCM is no big deal to me, but the clicks are a negative on the X5 that many don't seem to have picked up on.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #18,294 of 19,652
I'll have a listen my micro. It is a pity, although I guess it's less than a needle going down onto an LP!! Trouble is, it's every track.

I don't worry particularly about the format really so DSD or PCM is no big deal to me, but the clicks are a negative on the X5 that many don't seem to have picked up on.

Or you could say the clicks are a negative on DSD. As I eluded to earlier it's not just the X5.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #18,295 of 19,652
Do you know what's going on at the start of a dsd track? Whether it's the x5 or dsd formatting? I remember once having an MP3 player that clicked between tracks actually.

I just tried the micro via coax. It is there although very low in volume.

I wonder whether it might be something to do with the X5 converting to PCM? As said earlier, no point in using dsd on x5 really since there might be slight degradation in any case in the process. Makes you wonder why it's used as an archiving format if a little quality is lost in the conversion process, plus the fact that it's not so easy to manipulate as well.

Does anyone know of a conversion programme that does a good job with dsd?

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #18,296 of 19,652
Quote: @nmatheis

First of all, thanks for your suggestions.  I'll let you know what has already been tried.  I didn't download the tool you suggested, but maybe I should - will it work for FLAC files as well?

Using XLD, I have tried considering it two albums, and putting all the tracks in order that way, AND I have also tried making it all one album.  The screenshot you see of the screwed up metadata is from XLD, AND that is AFTER I have used the "edit metadata" function.  For some reason the songs will not display in the correct order even when you edit the data.

The problem with making into two albums, is that it defeats the purpose of what I want it to do - to play from beginning to end as ONE album, through both CDs, in chronological order.  I have tried using the "folder" browse option in the X5.  I am able to play through the entire double album by playing the folder, but the songs play in order of track numbers, and therefore I get two track 1s, two track 2s, two track 3s, etc - until the album completes playing, playing each track alternating discs that they are actually from - I hope you understand what I mean.

If there is no way to fix this problem just using XLD, then obviously I'll be open to trying another app / utility to handle this.

And about the album....FANTASTIC!  Up the Irons indeed!  Maiden have outdone themselves again!

Cheers!

Don't know how it happened, but it's severely messed up...

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #18,297 of 19,652
Rename the actual files. If you look at the first 8, they are actually in alphabetical order.  After that - not sure what's happening.

Here's an example of my file naming for Pearl Jam's double album - Rear View Mirror

101 Once (Brendan O'Brien Remix).flac
102 Alive (Brendan O'Brien Remix).flac
103 Even Flow.flac
etc
201 Black.flac
202 Breath.flac
etc

Then in the track numbering, make sure you use leading zeros and either name all the tracks in order 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 etc

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #18,298 of 19,652
  Rename the actual files. If you look at the first 8, they are actually in alphabetical order.  After that - not sure what's happening.

Here's an example of my file naming for Pearl Jam's double album - Rear View Mirror

101 Once (Brendan O'Brien Remix).flac
102 Alive (Brendan O'Brien Remix).flac
103 Even Flow.flac
etc
201 Black.flac
202 Breath.flac
etc

Then in the track numbering, make sure you use leading zeros and either name all the tracks in order 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06 etc

So, you're saying to actually use numbers in the track titles?  I've attached a screenshot of my XLD program with the edit metadata window open.  It currently shows the "Title" as "Death or Glory."  Are you saying that I should include a number with the title, for example in the Title field, type "01 Death or Glory" ??  That's just an example, as I know that is not the accurate first track from the album.

Also, in the Disc fields, I am assuming the first field refers to disc number and the second field refers to track number.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #18,299 of 19,652
I need to actually see one of your files to tell for sure. There is probably a load of extended tags that can be stripped.  Your screenshot shows the meta data - not the actual file name.  I never have problems with and of my Fiios.  The files are named as I described above. Your title looks OK - it should be the name only anyway.  As Nic said though - it looks like the actual tagging is severely messed up.

For ref - the only tags I use with my Fiios are:

ALBUM
ALBUMARTIST
ARTIST
GENRE
TITLE
TRACK
YEAR

Is there anyway you can upload a few tracks, and I'll have a look at the full meta data?

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #18,300 of 19,652
I'm not sure....is there a maximum file upload size allowed?  These are all FLAC tracks so they're pretty big - ranging from 38 MB - 120 MB per track.  Here's a screen shot of what the original downloaded folder looked like - fully expanded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back