The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #14,836 of 19,652

Sorry, same result with both '/' and a comma.

Thanks for trying.
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #14,839 of 19,652
Jan 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #14,840 of 19,652
The issue here is two fold.

One, your expectations. You expected the device to work like an iPod. It doesn't.

Two, you seem to be having more issues operating the device than everyone else here (see point one). It's really not hard to use and you seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

You keep comparing the device to an overpriced Sony A17 that outputs a very low 20mW max from HO and has gimmicky DSP sound effects and a crappy sounding FM receiver (all FM sounds crappy IMO). Seems like sound quality is lower on your priority list. It's all about choices and you choose to prefer to complain about something that doesn't meet your expectations, but works for (mostly) everyone else. Contact the manufacturer if your issue is really that bad.

Honestly, the wheel works fine and your blowing this way out of proportion. I'd hate to be a new member and read your posts thinking the X5 was a turd. It isn't. It's a fine audiophile device that plays music well without any fluff to distract from the experience. Could the wheel be 'tighter'? Yes. Is it the end of the world? NO. Does it function well? Generally, yes.

As a point, typing this on my iPad(4) and I'm having a hell of a time doing edits since I updated to IOS 8. Apple seriously messed up the FW for current iPad owners. Do I go on all the forums and complain continuously? No. I'm an adult that can research solutions either from other users or I'll contact the manufacturer for help. Does that mean my iPad is a piece of junk? No, I still use it all the time and have worked around the issues.

Are you serious? My expectations? LMAO does not suffice. I will be embarrassed to sell this unit when I have to include 'not properly functioning scroll wheel" as part of the description and then convince the customer that I didn't wreck it and it was made that way. To me, the unit has already lost resell value, as it's too late to return it.

"You keep comparing it to the Sony" What? I mentioned I owned a Sony, I didn't keep comparing it to the Sony. But now that you brought that up, I will say that the Sony does work better for me on account of superior UI, smaller, better battery, and sq difference loss is Minor compared to the gains in other areas. (Do you even own the A17?) Overall it is not as good sq as x5, but in some instances it can sound better. As far as its output, I can run t90's on the Sony and they sound better than the x5 does on the same phones when using clear bass. I don't use the dsp effects, most are gimmicky, except for clear bass, which is a major win for Sony and again highlights how crappy the equalizer is on the x5. Why mention FM radio? Who cares? When I run the Sony off portable phones, I don't even have to go beyond 10 on the 30 pt volume scale,

I don't expect it to work like an iPod, but I expect a scroll wheel that works in 2015. If this tech is beyond fiio at this point, then fine, I guess we have a long way to go to catch up to the futuristic and incredible design of circa 2003 ipod. Maybe I will boot those relics up again and revel in that scroll wheel. Maybe get it refitted with a new flash drive, better battery, better amp module. It's all possible for about $700.

Also, many people their problems with the scroll wheel. This is not an isolated case of me having a faulty unit. The x5 is not a 'turd' but the scroll wheel is. whynis everyone so offended by this? Lol! "Oh my god, he said something bad about our believed leader, x5! This is not happening. Burn the witch!"

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #14,841 of 19,652

Re-organize your files- there have been several posts here about it- into alpha order  and create sub-folders inside each alpha.  

I really don't think that the makers of these high-end players considered that people would be putting so many MP3s on them so as to create these issues.  As it doesn't look that way.  It may be that some MP3 users will just have to find devices that work for them better than the current crop of, at the least, the current  Fiios.  I'm not being mean or mocking, it's just that I keep seeing posts like this and don't see how a firmware fix is going to resolve this.  It would need to build-in an organizing/alpha system and I'm not sure a software fix can do that with the physical limitations of these devices.  Maybe James and Joe will surprise us all, and that will be great for all of you folks with this issue.  Otherwise, it will require you to re-organize or move on to a different player.  Just as I sold my Colorfly C3 when it didn't meet my GUI needs

My files have been organized from the get-go. I'm talking about the unusability of the Category view, NOT the Folder view. I paid enough that I have a reasonable expectation that BOTH of them should be usable and I shouldn't have to be limping along on half of an interface.

Firmware CAN make it more usable by enabling wheel/button acceleration, like almost every other high capacity DAP has had ever since their release.
I'm not planning on selling it and moving on. I'd feel bad about selling a half-formed product in this price range to any of my friends. Some of the other major GUI gaffes like presenting the song list by file name only and not returning albums instead of song titles in the Genre search can also be fixed by firmware, ONCE FiiO admits that the present functionality is a mistake. I'm afraid that a lot of this isn't being dealt with for fear of a loss of face. Those of us who have lived in Asia countries as non-Asians know what a major factor this can be in this sort of thing.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #14,842 of 19,652
Having ab iPod classic and familiar with how its scroll wheel works, it will certainly take time of getting used to the X5's UI. I admit I expect it to work like the ipods. I got around it and can scroll though a list in X5 as fast as I can with the iPod. Accuracy will improve over time as you get familiar with X5's UI.

The point is you can't expect the same experience on both device. The scroll wheel look the same but they are not. X5 is purely mechanical while iPod is touch sensitive. You have to adjust how you navigate with X5's UI. Use that buttons below the scroll wheel. It's there for a purpose.

Of course, I'm not forcing one to adjust if they can't take it. Simply return X5 and find something else that will make you happy. A rant is tolerable posted once (and most of the time appreciated) but really annoying if posted repeatedly.

I don't know what to say about the complain with the microSD slot cover. Perhaps it's just a spill over the complaint on the scroll wheel. I'll just take it as a joke
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #14,843 of 19,652
Are you serious? My expectations? LMAO does not suffice. I will be embarrassed to sell this unit when I have to include 'not properly functioning scroll wheel" as part of the description and then convince the customer that I didn't wreck it and it was made that way. To me, the unit has already lost resell value, as it's too late to return it.

"You keep comparing it to the Sony" What? I mentioned I owned a Sony, I didn't keep comparing it to the Sony. But now that you brought that up, I will say that the Sony does work better for me on account of superior UI, smaller, better battery, and sq difference loss is Minor compared to the gains in other areas. (Do you even own the A17?) Overall it is not as good sq as x5, but in some instances it can sound better. As far as its output, I can run t90's on the Sony and they sound better than the x5 does on the same phones when using clear bass. I don't use the dsp effects, most are gimmicky, except for clear bass, which is a major win for Sony and again highlights how crappy the equalizer is on the x5. Why mention FM radio? Who cares? When I run the Sony off portable phones, I don't even have to go beyond 10 on the 30 pt volume scale,

I don't expect it to work like an iPod, but I expect a scroll wheel that works in 2015. If this tech is beyond fiio at this point, then fine, I guess we have a long way to go to catch up to the futuristic and incredible design of circa 2003 ipod. Maybe I will boot those relics up again and revel in that scroll wheel. Maybe get it refitted with a new flash drive, better battery, better amp module. It's all possible for about $700.

Also, many people their problems with the scroll wheel. This is not an isolated case of me having a faulty unit. The x5 is not a 'turd' but the scroll wheel is. whynis everyone so offended by this? Lol! "Oh my god, he said something bad about our believed leader, x5! This is not happening. Burn the witch!"

If you really like your iPod, you could use an LOD cable and connect to a Fiio E17 which might be a great compromise that's the best I can suggest.  I had an E17 a while ago & it was pretty good as a portable amp/dac for a phone etc. I have a Cayin C5 on order to pair with my X5 for portable use- should be a great combo.

HTH.

Best regards.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #14,844 of 19,652
The issue here is two fold.

One, your expectations. You expected the device to work like an iPod. It doesn't.

Two, you seem to be having more issues operating the device than everyone else here (see point one). It's really not hard to use and you seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

You keep comparing the device to an overpriced Sony A17 that outputs a very low 20mW max from HO and has gimmicky DSP sound effects and a crappy sounding FM receiver (all FM sounds crappy IMO). Seems like sound quality is lower on your priority list. It's all about choices and you choose to prefer to complain about something that doesn't meet your expectations, but works for (mostly) everyone else. Contact the manufacturer if your issue is really that bad.

Honestly, the wheel works fine and your blowing this way out of proportion. I'd hate to be a new member and read your posts thinking the X5 was a turd. It isn't. It's a fine audiophile device that plays music well without any fluff to distract from the experience. Could the wheel be 'tighter'? Yes. Is it the end of the world? NO. Does it function well? Generally, yes.

As a point, typing this on my iPad(4) and I'm having a hell of a time doing edits since I updated to IOS 8. Apple seriously messed up the FW for current iPad owners. Do I go on all the forums and complain continuously? No. I'm an adult that can research solutions either from other users or I'll contact the manufacturer for help. Does that mean my iPad is a piece of junk? No, I still use it all the time and have worked around the issues.

First of all I never compared it to the Sony. I mentioned I have a Sony. But now that you bring it up I will say I prefer the Sony because of its superior UI, better battery, smaller, and the SQ differences are minor compared to the overall gains. In some instances the Sony a17 sounds better than the X5. It runs portable phones volume level 10 on the 30 point scale. It runs my Beyer T 90s without a problem and sounds better than the x5 with those phones mainly because of clear bass, which is a major win for Sony. But I agree many of their DSP affects are gimmicky. Who cares about FM radio? That's the last thing that should even be mentioned.

X5 isn't a turd. But the scroll wheel is. I don't expect it to work like an iPod but I do expect the scroll wheel to work. That's all this is about. I can overlook the OTG lack of support, the battery indicator, the hard to pry sd covers. I am not an Apple fanboy. I gave up on their portable players long ago, but now I have an urge to boot up my 2003 40 gig iPod to just enjoy that scroll wheel. Maybe replace the battery, the amp, internal storage. Would cost about $700, but there are companies that will do it. It's amazing that I can be wistfully thinking about 2003 tech in 2015 and wondering if Apple was some kind of mad genius that developed scroll wheels that work and that golden age is now gone with Steve Jobs. I honestly did not think scroll wheel technology was that advanced. My bad.

Many people on this thread were complaining about the scroll wheel. It's not an isolated incident. What it comes down to is when I sell this unit I'm going to have to mention that it has a faulty scroll wheel and convince the buyer that it wasn't me who wrecked it and that the company made it that way. It's already lost resale value.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #14,845 of 19,652

If you really like your iPod, you could use an LOD cable and connect to a Fiio E17 which might be a great compromise that's the best I can suggest.  I had an E17 a while ago & it was pretty good as a portable amp/dac for a phone etc. I have a Cayin C5 on order to pair with my X5 for portable use- should be a great combo.

HTH.

Best regards.

Check out the thread about the Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN

That could be what you are after.  P.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #14,846 of 19,652
No player is perfect.  I'm sure I'm not the only person here whose first mp3 player was a CD player with no display, no equalizer, no card slots, no OTG, and certainly no scroll wheel.  They weren't perfect, but we loved those things.  DAT players and Minidiscs came and went, and I loved those too.  Because they did a great job of playing music (in the case of the DAT, not for long enough!).  Then came the hard-disk players from first Creative and then Apple.  Yes, the iPod's UI was something special, but the iPod was far from perfect - no OTG, no card slots, no FLAC support (at least until I discovered Rockbox).  No player is perfect, and none ever will be.  I don't think the X5 is perfect.  I have issues with the playlist functionality, and I'm hoping it gets fixed in a future firmware update.  If it doesn't...oh well.  It's not a deal-breaker - I can live without playlists.  If I had specific requirements for playlists, and if the X5 couldn't satisfy those requirements, then I would sell the X5 and move on to something else.  No big deal.  I always say that life's too short for bad headphones, but it's also too short to waste on DAPs that you're never going to like.  Just move on.  Buy something that makes you happy, and get on with enjoying your music.     

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #14,847 of 19,652
First of all I never compared it to the Sony. I mentioned I have a Sony. But now that you bring it up I will say I prefer the Sony because of its superior UI, better battery, smaller, and the SQ differences are minor compared to the overall gains. In some instances the Sony a17 sounds better than the X5. It runs portable phones volume level 10 on the 30 point scale. It runs my Beyer T 90s without a problem and sounds better than the x5 with those phones mainly because of clear bass, which is a major win for Sony. But I agree many of their DSP affects are gimmicky. Who cares about FM radio? That's the last thing that should even be mentioned.

X5 isn't a turd. But the scroll wheel is. I don't expect it to work like an iPod but I do expect the scroll wheel to work. That's all this is about. I can overlook the OTG lack of support, the battery indicator, the hard to pry sd covers. I am not an Apple fanboy. I gave up on their portable players long ago, but now I have an urge to boot up my 2003 40 gig iPod to just enjoy that scroll wheel. Maybe replace the battery, the amp, internal storage. Would cost about $700, but there are companies that will do it. It's amazing that I can be wistfully thinking about 2003 tech in 2015 and wondering if Apple was some kind of mad genius that developed scroll wheels that work and that golden age is now gone with Steve Jobs. I honestly did not think scroll wheel technology was that advanced. My bad.

Many people on this thread were complaining about the scroll wheel. It's not an isolated incident. What it comes down to is when I sell this unit I'm going to have to mention that it has a faulty scroll wheel and convince the buyer that it wasn't me who wrecked it and that the company made it that way. It's already lost resale value.

If your said wheel if "Faulty" why don't you return it for a new one. I'm telling right now mine WORKS! Return and and try another and go from there. So can we get back to how lovely the X5 sounds and how James works hard to make almost everyone happy.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #14,848 of 19,652
  My files have been organized from the get-go. I'm talking about the unusability of the Category view, NOT the Folder view. I paid enough that I have a reasonable expectation that BOTH of them should be usable and I shouldn't have to be limping along on half of an interface.

Firmware CAN make it more usable by enabling wheel/button acceleration, like almost every other high capacity DAP has had ever since their release.
I'm not planning on selling it and moving on. I'd feel bad about selling a half-formed product in this price range to any of my friends. Some of the other major GUI gaffes like presenting the song list by file name only and not returning albums instead of song titles in the Genre search can also be fixed by firmware, ONCE FiiO admits that the present functionality is a mistake. I'm afraid that a lot of this isn't being dealt with for fear of a loss of face. Those of us who have lived in Asia countries as non-Asians know what a major factor this can be in this sort of thing.

I follow this forum from a distance (because I'm happy with my gear and don't need to see the next shiny object), but file organization is something that bothered me. When I first got my X5, I used dBpoweramp to re-rip my entire CD collection to 320. When that trial license expired I moved onto foobar 2000 after reading the accolades of others here. Now I had a quality free product that I didn't have the interests in putting the time into learning because I'm already a FT student. Last week I believe, somebody mentioned MusicBee. Now I'm at the point that I have no need to rip my entire CD collection again, and have only been building up my DL'd music collection. Re-organizing (re-tagging actually) however is something entirely different. I do a lot of Artist search on my X5 and simply hit the All Songs option. However, that pools my HD files with my 320 files and studio files with Live files. This is extremely aggravating to say the least. Same thing with 2 Disc albums when the player chooses, 01, 01, 02, 02, 03 etc... I've read where other members dropped files into different folders to work around these problems, but for whatever reason whatever I was doing would always work around the work around. I'm not saying that MusicBee is the ultimate solution, but it did lay out the tagging format so that I was able to understand the problem and how to correct it. It was only a matter of making simple changes to the information in the tags that the player was reading. Different folders did nothing unless I was running a play sequence that only looked at the folder content. It the tag was the same but in a different folder, the firmware did what it's designed to do...identify the end file. I felt like a moron and was very dissatisfied with having to listen to what the player wanted to play, not what I wanted to hear.
An example just to wrap this up, because I am getting older and my mind is failing. I had multiple Pearl Jam albums with one of them being Live. Not wanting to hear the live music with the studio files, I simply renamed the artist in the tag as Pearl Jam LIVE. Now when I do an Artist search I see Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam LIVE, and I've got the files divided as Disc 1 and Disc 2. When I hit All Songs from Pearl Jam LIVE everything plays in perfect sequence and I only hear the Live recordings. I'm sure that are some reading this and thinking NO CR@P! What an idiot!...which I won't try to defend. But I couldn't see the forest through the trees because everybody speaks in some secret language that just wasn't working with the three remaining brain cells that I still have left from my younger days of "over experimentation" of visual color producing chemicals...lol.
I would think it safe to say that what method works to resolve the sorting problem is going to be dictated by how you're trying to sort. Multiple sort methods would mean multiple types of different tagging which will ultimately mean more confusing gathered information in another form of sorting.

Did any of that make sense...? lol    
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back