The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #7,246 of 19,652
  It has been mentioned before..
I have temporarily "patched" this by putting all discs in one folder and naming them 01 - 01 - Song name, 01 - 02 - Song Name, then 02 - 01 - Song Name, etc...
Not the best solution, but at least it's in order.

I have disc numbers in the file names, too. They play in the correct order in Folder view. I'm referring specifically to Library mode, where it's going by tags and not file names. The player appears to ignore disc number tags, or it's not reading mine correctly.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #7,247 of 19,652

I have disc numbers in the file names, too. They play in the correct order in Folder view. I'm referring specifically to Library mode, where it's going by tags and not file names. The player appears to ignore disc number tags, or it's not reading mine correctly.

Ah, yeah, I know what you mean. I've resorted to just using the folder structure for now until multi-discs and ARTISTSORT tags are implemented (so all bands with "The" in the name don't all appear in the T's)

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #7,248 of 19,652
So it's been a week since I got my X5 and I am still working through old favorites in my collection. I have discovered that it especially shines with older, more analogue and detailed recordings from the 60's and 70's...especially delightfully detailed, ramshackle but lovingly done ones like Ram by Paul McCartney, Living in the Material World by George Harrison, Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix, Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie...

My primary headphones have been my vintage Grado SR80 pink drivers in African Blackwood.

I think the detail and neutrality from the X5 are exactly what the Grados want on these older recordings.

PS: all files are 16/44.1 FLAC

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #7,249 of 19,652
So it's been a week since I got my X5 and I am still working through old favorites in my collection. I have discovered that it especially shines with older, more analogue and detailed recordings from the 60's and 70's...especially delightfully detailed, ramshackle but lovingly done ones like Ram by Paul McCartney, Living in the Material World by George Harrison, Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix, Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie...

My primary headphones have been my vintage Grado SR80 pink drivers in African Blackwood.

I think the detail and neutrality from the X5 are exactly what the Grados want on these older recordings.

Indeed, I'm currently listening to The Box Tops' The Letter album(1967) and it sounds exquisite 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #7,250 of 19,652
  Does anyone else have their SD cards eject/unmount from the computer at random times? I have my X5 plugged into my computer (mac) and every once in a while it will tell me a drive was ejected improperly. This last time it happened to card #1, and still showed card #2.. then they both went.

I've similar experience on my Mac but in my case the SD cards are unmounted only if I leave my X5 idle for like 15 minutes (never happened during file copy).

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #7,251 of 19,652

Ya same to me. It really shine with analogue and detailed recordings. I really love it's detail, wonder how can DX90 be better than X5

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #7,252 of 19,652

I've similar experience on my Mac but in my case the SD cards are unmounted only if I leave my X5 idle for like 15 minutes (never happened during file copy).

i have that problem for the TF#2 card slot as well only when transfering files, plus only song from, that song keep skipping randomly. sooo i have determined is a faulty card slot because TF#1 is totally fine awaiting replacement :))

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #7,253 of 19,652
  Has nobody else encountered the issue where in Library mode, when you've got a multi-disc album, it plays Disc 1 Song 1, then Disc 2 Song 1, then Disc 1 Song 2, then Disc 2 Song 2, &c.? I feel as though that's a fairly important thing to fix, but nobody else has voted for it in Bugzilla. Are the rest of you having this play correctly?

My disc number tags are in number / total discs format, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I also don't tag the album names with disc numbers, because I prefer to have them all in one folder.

You know, I just re-thought this out with my entire collection recently.  I decided to combine the multi-disc into one disc.  For example,  I now just have The Wall with tracks 1-26.  Helps with all of my double live albums too.  My thoughts were that the only reason for multi-disc is the original limit of the discs, vinyl, etc.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #7,254 of 19,652
You know, I just re-thought this out with my entire collection recently.  I decided to combine the multi-disc into one disc.  For example,  I now just have The Wall with tracks 1-26.  Helps with all of my double live albums too.  My thoughts were that the only reason for multi-disc is the original limit of the discs, vinyl, etc.

+1

I renamed files this way for my X3 but really should adjust the tags accordingly. Yet another project...

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #7,255 of 19,652
Initial impressions from an X3 and IE800's owners perspective.
I have had the x5 for 2 days now and listened about 10 hours so far.
Main differences to me are the x5 is more neutral, detailed and a much airier soundstage. Bass could do with more oomph lower down and the higher end extends a lot further but seems a bit thinner. It almost borders on sibilance but just as you think its going to hiss it keeps it under control which is very impressive.

I do miss the warmth of the X3 and right now thinking it would be good to combine the coloration of the X3 with the detail, soundstage and extension of the X5. That may change as I continue to get used to the X5.
So far the X5 seems to excel in vocals, acoustic, rock, jazz, complex pieces. Genres like hip hop, techno I feel needs more bass.
This is probably more noticeable for me as the IE800's are a bass monster and coupled with the warmth if the X3 I have gotten used to an enhanced bass presence.

Other most noticeable things are the scroll wheel should have had dimples or a rubberized textured surface. Not a very intelligent decision to go with smooth and shiny.
The other issue is the text and icons are very small and thin. For the over 40's like me this is definitely in must wear reading glasses territory whereas the X3 you can just get away with it.

Overall though its definitely in another league compared to the X3 and very happy with the purchase especially the price/value.

Just about to order the Noble K10's once I finish my holidays, quite excited to hear a 12 driver IEM with the X5. Could be a magic combination. Another winning combo could be the Roxanne's with the adjustable bass. Though wouldn't go anywhere near them at the moment until they sorted their stuff out.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #7,256 of 19,652
Initial impressions from an X3 and IE800's owners perspective.
I have had the x5 for 2 days now and listened about 10 hours so far.
Main differences to me are the x5 is more neutral, detailed and a much airier soundstage. Bass could do with more oomph lower down and the higher end extends a lot further but seems a bit thinner. It almost borders on sibilance but just as you think its going to hiss it keeps it under control which is very impressive.

I do miss the warmth of the X3 and right now thinking it would be good to combine the coloration of the X3 with the detail, soundstage and extension of the X5. That may change as I continue to get used to the X5.
So far the X5 seems to excel in vocals, acoustic, rock, jazz, complex pieces. Genres like hip hop, techno I feel needs more bass.
This is probably more noticeable for me as the IE800's are a bass monster and coupled with the warmth if the X3 I have gotten used to an enhanced bass presence.

Other most noticeable things are the scroll wheel should have had dimples or a rubberized textured surface. Not a very intelligent decision to go with smooth and shiny.
The other issue is the text and icons are very small and thin. For the over 40's like me this is definitely in must wear reading glasses territory whereas the X3 you can just get away with it.

Overall though its definitely in another league compared to the X3 and very happy with the purchase especially the price/value.

Just about to order the Noble K10's once I finish my holidays, quite excited to hear a 12 driver IEM with the X5. Could be a magic combination. Another winning combo could be the Roxanne's with the adjustable bass. Though wouldn't go anywhere near them at the moment until they sorted their stuff out.

I also noticed the somewhat thin bass response with the X5 connected directly to headphones. I think this is an issue with the headphone amp circuitry in the X5. As soon as I connected my X5 to my JDS O2 or my iFi Nano iCan amps the bass was right there and sounded great. Through an external amp, the X5 sounds wonderful to me. It is very clear and detailed.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #7,257 of 19,652
I'm still trying to figure out how to describe what I am hearing, so take this with a grain of salt: but I also feel the bass is SORT OF lacking on the X5 alone. ALTHOUGH: this is a big one, I am so used to having the bass boost on my E12. I recently was asking about X5 compared to X5+E12 a few pages back and someone suggested an equalizer setup that works great. This is what I run in my car (I think something weird is happening with doing X5 > E12 > my car aux port, so I am still testing X5 alone, and it sounds great with that custom equalizer setup)

I do still use X5 + E12 combo because it still sounds better with my DT770 250ohms - but this could help you guys out who are looking for more bass oomph

If anyone is interested:

Quote:
  You got it about the E12/X5 combo -- so long as the size, weight, and charging regimen isn't a problem for you, go for it.

Now, like wayne's world says, it is kind of a pain to have two pieces, so you could try to fit the curve using the built-in X5 EQ.   
I think each "tick" on the X5 EQ screen is 2dB.   That is based on this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/5790#post_10418599

There are seven of them vertically for each band, so that gives +6dB to -6dB as a range from top to bottom.  So you could try the following.  

31 (Hz):  second tick from the top (+4dB)
62 (Hz):  halfway between the first and second tick (+5dB)
125 (Hz):  just after the second tick (+3.5dB)
250 (Hz):  halfway between the third and fourth tick (+1dB)
500 (Hz):  just before the fourth tick (+0.5dB)
1K (Hz) and above:  All on the fourth tick (flat).   (0dB)

Try it out and see if it sounds similar to the E12 with bass boost.  I have no way to check myself though (because I don't have the X5 -- this is just from reading the graph).  

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #7,259 of 19,652
This is so funny cuz I feel the exact opposite:

I feel like the bass is borderline too much (from neutral). I think there is still a hint of the bass bloom from the Fiio "house sound" left over. It's almost neutral and it's a pretty good attempt, but Fiio needs to just get rid of the bloom altogether, there seems to be a tiny bit left over and the treble still sounds a little shelved down, not by much (again very close to neutral), but it can still sound more airy and open (e.g. DX90).

For those of you guys who love the bass, have you guys heard the X3? OMG that thing has thumping bass, typical Fiio house sound and is dark like the night during a moon eclipse. Almost all other Fiio products have more bass than the X5. I think they're moving away from that cuz it gets annoying on every song every time. The coloration gets old fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back