The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #7,142 of 19,652
Also - is anyone elses OTG cable REALLY hard to put in and pull out? I don't want to break the port! I might try buying a different one if I end up using the OTG cable a lot..

This is how USB micro B was designed, it has these hooks to make sure it can't fall out.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7,146 of 19,652
I just mean it's a LOT harder than the charging cable that came with it (same port) - is one Micro B and the other a different kind of Micro USB?

It's all micro B, the hooks on the charging cable(left on both pictures) seems to be slightly more rounded. That could be it.
Furthermore, the pins on the OTG cable are a bit more "prominent"

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #7,147 of 19,652
  You seem to have misread what I wrote. The X5 wheel menu is consistent with literally every menu ever designed and every menu in use on any OS, wheel or otherwise, in that the controls move the cursor/pointer/selector, making the target icons go in the opposite direction. You go clockwise to reach something that is visibly clockwise just as you would go right to reach something to the right. This is normal and the reverse would be fantastically unconventional at best.

Ah ok.  I did misundestand - i thought the X5 had this reversed.  That's good to know.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #7,149 of 19,652
Ah that makes sense about the micro USB ports - thanks guys - so I shouldn't worry about damaging the port or anything like that?

As long as you don't "rip" the cable out of it, it should be fine.

I think FiiO has the port soldered on in "through-mount" style, meaning there are pins soldered through the PCB as this is stronger, instead of on the PCB.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #7,150 of 19,652
As long as you don't "rip" the cable out of it, it should be fine.

I think FiiO has the port soldered on in "through-mount" style, meaning there are pins soldered through the PCB as this is stronger, instead of on the PCB.

Good to know - thanks!
Plus I imagine if you are using the OTG cable you wouldn't be taking it in and out too often.. maybe just to charge.
Actually.. that brings up another question. What if I got a USB-USB cable and just plugged the USB into the OTG cable - would it act as the charging cable or would the X5 still recognize this at an OTG "device?"

That would be convenient for those who use OTG constantly... never remove the cable, just plug in a USB to USB cable to charge!

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #7,151 of 19,652
Good to know - thanks!
Plus I imagine if you are using the OTG cable you wouldn't be taking it in and out too often.. maybe just to charge.
Actually.. that brings up another question. What if I got a USB-USB cable and just plugged the USB into the OTG cable - would it act as the charging cable or would the X5 still recognize this at an OTG "device?"

That would be convenient for those who use OTG constantly... never remove the cable, just plug in a USB to USB cable to charge!

As far as i know, there are no functioning components in the OTG cable, it's just that - a cable.(a bit more research showed that the 5th pin is on the same circuit as the 4th pin, this should not impact any functionality for charging though)

USB A to USB A cables aren't used a lot, i found one online for you: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DR0RBV6

I believe it should work. apparently there's a chance that it won't. As i found this: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/61085-asus-vivotab-note-8-charging-usb-otg-same-time.html

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #7,152 of 19,652
As far as i know, there are no functioning components in the OTG cable, it's just that - a cable.(a bit more research showed that the 5th pin is on the same circuit as the 4th pin, this should not impact any functionality for charging though)

USB A to USB A cables aren't used a lot, i found one online for you: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DR0RBV6

I believe it should work.

Awesome, thanks!
I will hopefully not need the OTG soon.. I'm just waiting for those damn 128gb micro sd cards to get back in stock! I've only got an 8GB one right now.

Tempted to go buy 2x 32gb ones at Walmart and return them when I get the 128gb ones. Not sure how unethical that is, though?

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #7,153 of 19,652
I know we talked about this before but does anyone know if there are plans to have X5 read the ARTISTSORT tag? So instead of "The Beatles" being listed with the T's it would sort as "Beatles, The" and be listed with the B's (but still show "The Beatles")

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #7,154 of 19,652
Awesome, thanks!
I will hopefully not need the OTG soon.. I'm just waiting for those damn 128gb micro sd cards to get back in stock! I've only got an 8GB one right now.

Tempted to go buy 2x 32gb ones at Walmart and return them when I get the 128gb ones. Not sure how unethical that is, though?

I updated my previous post, as i found evidence that it might not work.

Best is to hope @JamesFiiO will be able to tell us.

why not buy a single 64GB now, and keep it for storage once the 128GB ones arrive? (Or use it as OTG storage, with a micro SD reader)

I know we talked about this before but does anyone know if there are plans to have X5 read the ARTISTSORT tag? So instead of "The Beatles" being listed with the T's it would sort as "Beatles, The" and be listed with the B's (but still show "The Beatles")

I would like to see a complete list of supported tags as well. Right now i'm using : Album, artist, discnumber, title, track, and year tags only.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7,155 of 19,652
Ah no biggie about the cable, was just a passing thought I had. (Or do you mean the 128gb cards not working?)

And the only reason I said 32gb was because I think Walmart only carries 32gb in store, but I could be wrong. I should just get a good SanDisk 64gb from Amazon Prime (I'm just impatient.. I want it all now now now!).. I will probably use it eventually anyway, right? :p

Anyone know the ETA on the 128gb micro sd cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back