The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 23, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3,497 of 19,652
Some quick observations about the X5:

1. Apparently some people are having problems with the media scanning and that will be fixed in the next X5 firmware update. However, I have 64 GB of Lame 320 CBR MP3s on a Samsung 64GB microSDXC UHA-1 formatted to NTFS and the scan was remarkably fast and glitch free. 5000+ songs scanned in minutes and the numerical display showed them flying by. So maybe the answer is to buy a good card and format to NTFS.

2. The media library is actually kind of weird.
- Genres is really only useful for shuffling as you get a list of the entire genre of songs in alphabetical order by file name, which means every first song (if you are numbering them "01") then in alphabetical order, then every 02 song etc., no dividing by artist or album.
- Browsing by Artist gives you a list of Artists and then all songs by that artist when you go a level down, again in alphabetical order: 01, 02 etc, no division by album. That will actually be somewhat useful for me to browse songs by artist but if you are expecting further division by album, it does not do that. And again the alphabetical order system is weird. It is surprising that it orders it by file name, not tag, since it is scanning on the tags...
- Browsing by Song again orders by file name (01 ---------.mp3), so if you have song numbers in the file name - most of us do - a song's placement on an album determines first where it is on the list instead of true alphabetical order by song name.
- Browsing by Album works exactly as you would expect it to. This is the one category where the media library isn't kind of weird but rather correct.

3. Browsing by Folder is perfect! It is clean and fast. One nice feature is that when you go up a level, it remembers your place on the list. So if I go into my Rock genre folder, and then scroll to Talking Heads folder, and then Remain In Light folder, and then select a song and start listening, when I re-enter file view (the Back key), I can back up to Remain In Light, then Talking Heads and so on. Browsing by Folder is what I always do. It is perfect so I am very happy.

4. The scroll wheel works great. Overall the UI is fast and surprisingly mature.

5. I like how you can touch a volume key and then do further volume adjustment with the scroll wheel. Very fast, convenient and accurate.

6. Album art by "folder. jpg" does not work. However, the no art Play screen is quite attractive. More importantly, I just discovered the "bulk attach album art" utility in Foobar so I am solving the album art issue without waiting on Fiio for a firmware update.

7. And the most important observation:  The X5 is sounding absolutely fantastic with my Heaven VI as a standalone DAP, no external amp. Still very early days - way too early to provide detailed SQ observations - but how about that!

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #3,498 of 19,652
how does it compare to ak100mk2?

I only have (brief) experience with the AK120 in that line of DAPs and I would not dare to do a proper comparison without more exposure side by side. I will say though that I have no interest in going "up" to the AK120 based on what I remember. (And if I am eventually going to spend big bucks, I will be looking to whether the Calyx M lives up to its promise, not at iRiver.)

@cooperpwc
such fast arrival from amazon :frowning2: i ordered from taobao (http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=36923543227&spm=a1z09.5.0.0.jRdjk0) on 15th Jan and still have not shipped out yet T_T

Yah, they shipped the day after I ordered. Good service.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,499 of 19,652

2. The media library is actually kind of weird.
- Browsing by Artist gives you a list of Artists and then all songs by that artist when you go a level down, again in alphabetical order: 01, 02 etc, no division by album. That will actually be somewhat useful for me to browse songs by artist but if you are expecting further division by album, it does not do that. And again the alphabetical order system is weird. It is surprising that it orders it by file name, not tag, since it is scanning on the tags...

A bit OT, but how does the media library of the DX50 work in comparison? I always use the media library on my Rockbox D2, and it's important to me that the media lists as Artist -> Album -> Track by number.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #3,500 of 19,652

A bit OT, but how does the media library of the DX50 work in comparison? I always use the media library on my Rockbox D2, and it's important to me that the media lists as Artist -> Album -> Track by number.

Ask someone in the DX50 thread. Scanning is pretty slow so I never went there. (I think that it has improved though with 1.2.7.)

I really am a Browse By Folder guy. Genre / Artist / Album. Set it up properly and never look back.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #3,502 of 19,652
  hmmm thats a rather odd reading system for a dap

Yes. the big thing that they have to change is on Browse by Artist. it has to read the Album tags and provide a further division by Album. It can then order within the Album exactly as it does now.

If they just fix that one item, it should be a very useful database system for most people.

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #3,503 of 19,652

Yes. the big thing that they have to change is on Browse by Artist. it has to read the Album tags and provide a further division by Album. It can then order within the Album exactly as it does now.

If they just fix that one item, it should be a very useful database system for most people.

would have to , since the way most people browse artist is exactly like that

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #3,504 of 19,652

I really am a Browse By Folder guy. Genre / Artist / Album. Set it up properly and never look back.

+1

Browse by folder is what I do best.
cool.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #3,505 of 19,652

Dx 50 does exactly that: artist, album, track by number.

X5 database system seems weird and quite frankly not very usable, they should change it soon.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3,506 of 19,652
I asked on the other thread but no answer, I am asking here too apparently this one is quite busy.

If I use X5's coax out, will it increase the battery life? Headphone out can give around 10 12 hours, so if I use coax out, will I get something higher?

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3,507 of 19,652
I asked on the other thread but no answer, I am asking here too apparently this one is quite busy.

If I use X5's coax out, will it increase the battery life? Headphone out can give around 10 12 hours, so if I use coax out, will I get something higher?

Yes, should be a lot longer as the amplifier section would be powered down

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 23, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #3,510 of 19,652

Thanks, that is really a deal breaker for me.

Fair enough. If I were a database user, I would agree.

Remember though that us DX50 owners have gone through a fair bit of patience (and pain) of FW updates to be where we are now. The X5 is just released and in China only. FW fixes, like the DX50, is pretty darn likely one can assume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back