The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #3,076 of 19,652
If you guys are seriously expecting the new Fiio and iBasso to directly compete with the new AK's and other high end DAPs you guys are going to be sorely disappointed. I mean its fairly obvious that for Fiio the X7 is going to be their "giant killer" not the X5. I am sure the X5 will be an excellent performing and sounding device for its price to value ratio so don't take this as me putting the X5 down. In fact I have already decided this is the DAP for me.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3,078 of 19,652
  If you guys are seriously expecting the new Fiio and iBasso to directly compete with the new AK's and other high end DAPs you guys are going to be sorely disappointed. I mean its fairly obvious that for Fiio the X7 is going to be their "giant killer" not the X5. I am sure the X5 will be an excellent performing and sounding device for its price to value ratio so don't take this as me putting the X5 down. In fact I have already decided this is the DAP for me.

Having listened to AK100 and AK120 a couple of times, I'll say iBasso and FiiO is doing just fine competing with iriver, at least as far as SQ goes.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,080 of 19,652
People play huge money for home audio equipment in large part because it will last 20 years. Given how many people's listening has switched to being primarily portable, I don't think USD 2000+ is a outlandish IF its a unit that's going to last a long time.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,081 of 19,652
  People play huge money for home audio equipment in large part because it will last 20 years. Given how many people's listening has switched to being primarily portable, I don't think USD 2000+ is a outlandish IF its a unit that's going to last a long time.

If the battery is not replaceable, a portable device wont last more than 3-5 years at the most with frequent use.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3,086 of 19,652
5 years seems a little early for wide adoption of implantable computing devices. Maybe 10-20 years?

Tell that to the guy with the pacemaker or defibrillator implant
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,089 of 19,652
Exactly. At the pace at which new gear is released our love for our current gadgets is more likely to be gone before the battery.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #3,090 of 19,652

There has been quite a bit of work mapping neural pathways to "rewire" neural connections and overcome damage induced paralysis, such as quadriplegia. This has involved implanting fine electrodes into the brain of bonobos and mapping activity. It's really cool research, and the bonobos have passively controlled robotic arms with this technology.

There's also a lot of research with near infrared scanning, which allows a computer to interpret brain activity and allow people with severe neuro-musculature disorders to "type" by thinking and drone pilots to fly by thinking. This tech is all external, with the NIR scanner incorporated into helmets.

I'm sure DARPA is working on implantable interactive computing devices, and I'll be happy to adopt that tech once it's stable, but 5 years seems too soon and defib and pacemakers are on a much, much lower level of complexity.

Just my two cents as a biologist and someone who's interested in human-computer interface. Feel free to disagree.

Nikolaus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back