The Fiio X5 Thread
May 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #106 of 19,652
Quote:
You did not try the DX100 Wifi to say that :)

I did , its CRAP but it kinda work (when it want to work) I have had worse than that , to be honest to me no matter how crappy the implementation of android on the Dx100 is, its still kinda o it maindraw to me , since I can just replace everything on it with the thing I like , for example snce I have no hi res music ,I can just replace the original media player with poweramp or similiar player

I am waiting out for the Dx200 though, whatever it brings to the table.

on topic, I will probably buy the X5 instead of the X3, would probably skip anything above the X5

May 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #107 of 19,652
We have another flagship now, AK120 but for christs sake that darn thing costs 1300 euros. I wonder how it will compete against FiiO X5 when it is released. X5 will cost probably around 400 450 euros in here or something like that and I believe it can still sound better than AK120, all we have to do is wait and learn.

However I still wonder when FiiO will release some information about X5 
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #108 of 19,652
Quote:

We have another flagship now, AK120 but for christs sake that darn thing costs 1300 euros. I wonder how it will compete against FiiO X5 when it is released. X5 will cost probably around 400 450 euros in here or something like that and I believe it can still sound better than AK120, all we have to do is wait and learn.

However I still wonder when FiiO will release some information about X5 
rolleyes.gif

I may be totally wrong, but I think there is a limit to what you can do SQ wise in a portable DAP. It can be excellent, as players such as DX100, AK100 Mod or Tera have proved, but I do not think you can have a player that is MUCH better than the current flagships. So the AK120 is pushing it a bit at 1.5K I think. If Fiio can do 90-100% of current flagships SQ at half the price, they will take the market. Especially considering that not so many people have TOTL iems / headphones, so their headphones will be the limiting factor. To me, a 1K Dap and 200$ headphone is a waste...

May 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #109 of 19,652
Quote:
I may be totally wrong, but I think there is a limit to what you can do SQ wise in a portable DAP. It can be excellent, as players such as DX100, AK100 Mod or Tera have proved, but I do not think you can have a player that is MUCH better than the current flagships. So the AK120 is pushing it a bit at 1.5K I think. If Fiio can do 90-100% of current flagships SQ at half the price, they will take the market. Especially considering that not so many people have TOTL iems / headphones, so their headphones will be the limiting factor. To me, a 1K Dap and 200$ headphone is a waste...

Agree. I think FiiO can really have the market with the formula you described.

About 1k DAP and 200$ headphone, it seems like having a Ferrari but putting the cheapest fuel in it 
biggrin.gif

Edit: What is really nice about AK120 is its size and capacity. That matters for many of us. I remember you saying you went for TP because you wanted something ultraportable.

Capacity is really something important for me too. Size, I am thinking if I don't put anything else but only DX100 it has an acceptible size but many people think it is bulky. Capacity, battery life, bug free UI and clean sound would do the trick I belive. However everyone has their own taste so there is no perfect choice. One should know his priorities and choose according to it.

May 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #110 of 19,652
Quote:
Agree. I think FiiO can really have the market with the formula you described.

About 1k DAP and 200$ headphone, it seems like having a Ferrari but putting the cheapest fuel in it 
biggrin.gif

Edit: What is really nice about AK120 is its size and capacity. That matters for many of us. I remember you saying you went for TP because you wanted something ultraportable.

Capacity is really something important for me too. Size, I am thinking if I don't put anything else but only DX100 it has an acceptible size but many people think it is bulky. Capacity, battery life, bug free UI and clean sound would do the trick I belive. However everyone has their own taste so there is no perfect choice. One should know his priorities and choose according to it.

My current combo is Tera for some iems and AK100 mod stage 2 for others and it is close to perfect. Of course if I hear something better :D

May 12, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #116 of 19,652
Quote:
Android is fantastic if you're building a multi-purpose device. The X5 is hopefully a dedicated music player and not anything else. If you're looking for more a tablet is probably the better choice.

Although the sound quality on most Androids are crud without a dedicated amp. :p

May 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #118 of 19,652
Quote:
Android is fantastic if you're building a multi-purpose device. The X5 is hopefully a dedicated music player and not anything else. If you're looking for more a tablet is probably the better choice.

Agreed. Really glad that X5 seems to be not having Android. If I want internet, I won't use my DAP's battery for it. If I want streaming like others say, I'll just use my phone to discover new songs, I don't really need "high-end" DAC/Amp for discovering new songs on the internet. What I'll be listening from my high-end DAP are songs that I already knew and confident that they are in high quality not only in bitrate but how they are properly encoded. I don't need EQ as I believe a high-end DAC/Amp is all about staying true from the source so a simple bass/treble adjustment would be fine for such "not so decent headphones" to be encountered. I think I'll still wait for the X5 instead of X3. :D I hope FiiO finds a way to extend battery life. 20-30 hours is fine. :)

May 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #119 of 19,652
Quote:

Agreed. Really glad that X5 seems to be not having Android. If I want internet, I won't use my DAP's battery for it. If I want streaming like others say, I'll just use my phone to discover new songs, I don't really need "high-end" DAC/Amp for discovering new songs on the internet. What I'll be listening from my high-end DAP are songs that I already knew and confident that they are in high quality not only in bitrate but how they are properly encoded. I don't need EQ as I believe a high-end DAC/Amp is all about staying true from the source so a simple bass/treble adjustment would be fine for such "not so decent headphones" to be encountered. I think I'll still wait for the X5 instead of X3. :D I hope FiiO finds a way to extend battery life. 20-30 hours is fine. :)

I wouldn't expect 20 30 hrs of battery honestly, it seems like a nice dream only. At this level, if you see 15 hours, you should be pretty lucky (FLAC 16bit playback)

More than 12 is acceptable for me. If it is even more, well I ain't saying no to it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back