The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #11,431 of 19,652
Has anyone been able to use the X5 with a Grom audio interface through USB? I've the Volvo-version with Ipod, aux and USB connection. However the USB doesn't work with the X5. Would that be an X5 issue or a Grom problem?
I can order (what we like to do on Headfi :wink:) a din to minijack cable, but if that's not necessary...
Thanks!

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #11,433 of 19,652
The x5 screen off timer can only be set to a minimum of 30 seconds. One thing I liked about x3 was it could be set to ten seconds. Anyone know why this was changed in the x5? I really don't need thirty seconds. Trying to save as much battery as possible.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #11,434 of 19,652
As i had thought, my cards are 100% authentic.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #11,435 of 19,652
The x5 screen off timer can only be set to a minimum of 30 seconds. One thing I liked about x3 was it could be set to ten seconds. Anyone know why this was changed in the x5? I really don't need thirty seconds. Trying to save as much battery as possible.

Imo they should set the minimum to 10 seconds
Just like the volume lock shouldn't have a minimum...

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #11,436 of 19,652
Thanks lol, the X3 is quite tempting due to its price, but I am preferring the X5's screen size and wheel. Am I right to say that the X5's amp section and relative "neutralness" to the X3 will mean that it can be paired with more amps and headphones/IEMs?

I have no opinion on that. I don't believe my neutralness detector is functional as they both sound pretty neutral to me.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #11,438 of 19,652
Fair enough
biggrin.gif
The reviews I am reading here seem to indicate that the amp section of the X5 is a little stronger than the X3's

Actually the X3's amp is the slightly more powerful of the two (marginally).

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #11,439 of 19,652
According to the specs the X3 is slightly more powerful on the amp front.

270mw into 32ohm vs the X5's 255mw.

I have the X5 and just grabbed an X3 as well. It is a brilliant little player and the controls are IMHO better than the X5's. The hardware based bass and treble adjustments are also impressive. +2 on the bass with my HP50's and for my sound signature taste, is perfect. I got it as carrying around the X5+E12 is not always practical.

I'm so impressed with it that I have a little buyers remorse with regard to the X5 and E12.

Still, that's what happens when you discover Head-fi. You might start buying gear you don't really need.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #11,440 of 19,652

I have no opinion on that. I don't believe my neutralness detector is functional as they both sound pretty neutral to me.

Fair enough
biggrin.gif
The reviews I am reading here seem to indicate that the amp section of the X5 is a little stronger than the X3's

Odd, we read the same stuff and I have it that the X3 is stronger than the X5. I do not understand why they would do this but I believe my X3 is stronger than my X5. If the X3 had one more card slot I wouldn't have an X5. I don't mind though.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #11,441 of 19,652
Perhaps they made the assumption that the quality of the dac on the X5 would make it more likely that people would externally amp in order to maximize sound quality, or saw with the x3 the tendency towards external amping and went with a different amp section on the X5

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #11,443 of 19,652

Actually the X3's amp is the slightly more powerful of the two (marginally).

According to the specs the X3 is slightly more powerful on the amp front.

270mw into 32ohm vs the X5's 255mw.

I have the X5 and just grabbed an X3 as well. It is a brilliant little player and the controls are IMHO better than the X5's. The hardware based bass and treble adjustments are also impressive. +2 on the bass with my HP50's and for my sound signature taste, is perfect. I got it as carrying around the X5+E12 is not always practical.

I'm so impressed with it that I have a little buyers remorse with regard to the X5 and E12.

Still, that's what happens when you discover Head-fi. You might start buying gear you don't really need.

Odd, we read the same stuff and I have it that the X3 is stronger than the X5. I do not understand why they would do this but I believe my X3 is stronger than my X5. If the X3 had one more card slot I wouldn't have an X5. I don't mind though.

Perhaps they made the assumption that the quality of the dac on the X5 would make it more likely that people would externally amp in order to maximize sound quality, or saw with the x3 the tendency towards external amping and went with a different amp section on the X5

Hmmm I don't know, I just realised that the output current is a little higher in the X5. Maybe I misread something...

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #11,444 of 19,652
Feature request for James: What i would like to be able to do is add songs to the queue 

Playlist support is in beta right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back