The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 30, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #3,916 of 19,652
Overall though it's best to have the case than not and that's because it will, not to a larger extent, protect the player. I used cases from iSkin for protection and this is what I wish the X5 would have because if the X5 drops on the floor, it would be nicked and might have the screen either scratched or worse cracked. That is my worst fear about a potential accident.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #3,918 of 19,652
The one for my old Sansa Fuze was very durable and outlasted the player itself.... Well actually both got stolen... :D

That was a pretty simple design, I can see James using something similar but obviously with the screen exposed and possibly at the same level than the top of the screen. That is going to require precise leather cuts. The big hurdle is going to be the buttons with the wheel however they won't have the scroll wheel edge issue the iPod used to be plagued. The rest of the case with the exposed opening and buttons will add further to the complexity. It'd be nice if they could give it the non sewing style look or at least to blend it with the leather. There are good leather case manufacturers out there. The price might be an issue for something durable and esthetic.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #3,919 of 19,652
  Ok after a few more minutes:

1. It does not seem to like my FLAC files as it won't update the whole database (works fine on all other player and is very clean). Will stick to file browsing
  2. The pairing with the Kaede is indeed quite good, even closer to 901 performance (but still not quite there). I would say that, from memory, I prefer the sound of X5 over AK100 modded and AK120 (not a matter of performance necessarily but of preference)
  3. The player seems to have trouble turning back when it turned off automatically...quite annoying
  4. The controls are not the most intuitive I have encountered
  5. Do not ask me a comparison with ZX1, they are too different. I will just say this:
    1. The ZX1 is much better in terms of design and UI IMO
    2. The X5 is more or less on par soundwise. Very different though. The X5 is more versatile as it will pair with bright or dark iems whereas the ZX1 works better with warm / dark iems. With these the ZX1 sounds better.

So here are my brief thoughts of the X5 vs HM-901 (off my MH335DW).

To my ears, the tonality is more similar. I may say that the HM-901 with the balanced amp module is a little warmer (seems typical of OPA627 isn't it?) so between the two I'd personally say the 901 has a little more sub bass impact and tightness than the X5. The X5 sounds more neutral compared to the HM-901. Coupled together with my previous thoughts of the X5 vs the NW-ZX1, then the X5 sits in between the HM-901 & NW-ZX1 tonally.

Soundstage and the ability create "the bigger sound" goes to the HM-901. The same with instrument separation. But the main thing about the HM-901 I find is that it's able to grab  the listener's attention with impact.

So for me sonically, the HM-901 seems to win out with the MH335DW. I will have to try other earphones later this weekend (probably more headphones).

Where does the X5 win out over the HM-901?
- Battery life. Maybe I'm lucky but so far the X5 unit I have seems to have a great battery life...double of my HM-901 unit
- Size...well kinda obvious without having to explain
- UI is a little easier than the 901 but not at the ZX1 level
- non proprietary interfaces. This shouldn't be taken for granted as it's a biggie
- Flexibility with ease. Both can do line out, both can also digital out but with the X5, they're less proprietary cables
- Flexibility in sonics - has an Eq if you're an Eq-er
- Feel-wise (without the X5 skin naturally), the X5 feels more than it's priced. HM-901, well you'll just need to go out and feel one.
- Price. The question of whether the HM-901's sonics are worth $900 more is entirely up to each individual. Fiio set a new standard that the X5 can come close to the big boys for more than 3x less.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #3,920 of 19,652

To my ears, the tonality is more similar. I may say that the HM-901 with the balanced amp module is a little warmer (seems typical of OPA627 isn't it?) so between the two I'd personally say the 901 has a little more sub bass impact and tightness than the X5. The X5 sounds more neutral compared to the HM-901. Coupled together with my previous thoughts of the X5 vs the NW-ZX1, then the X5 sits in between the HM-901 & NW-ZX1 tonally.

Soundstage and the ability create "the bigger sound" goes to the HM-901. The same with instrument separation. But the main thing about the HM-901 I find is that it's able to grab  the listener's attention with impact.

So for me sonically, the HM-901 seems to win out with the MH335DW. I will have to try other earphones later this weekend (probably more headphones).

- Battery life. Maybe I'm lucky but so far the X5 unit I have seems to have a great battery life...double of my HM-901 unit
- non proprietary interfaces. This shouldn't be taken for granted as it's a biggie
- Flexibility with ease. Both can do line out, both can also digital out but with the X5, they're less proprietary cables
- Feel-wise (without the X5 skin naturally), the X5 feels more than it's priced. HM-901, well you'll just need to go out and feel one.
- Price. The question of whether the HM-901's sonics are worth $900 more is entirely up to each individual. Fiio set a new standard that the X5 can come close to the big boys for more than 3x less.

Thanks Sean very insightful at least I have a better idea without buying the more expensive player, how a reference player sounds like. Like you, I feel that the bar has been raised. To me I have crossed the path towards wanting to get a top reference player as my next step and FiiO is in my players card. I just hope I won't regret my decision financially wise.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3,921 of 19,652

James, I never inhale - which sounds like Bill Clinton but with cigars it is actually true! :)

wink_face.gif
 you mean Clinton and Lewinsky ?! 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 30, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,923 of 19,652
:wink_face:  you mean Clinton and [COLOR=333333]Lewinsky ?! [/COLOR]
No this is something else... I googled "Clinton never inhaled"

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #3,924 of 19,652

holy smokes, i feel like i am selling my DX50 then
biggrin.gif

seriously, great summary, i believe X5 will have to replace my DX50. and fingers crossed for Calyx M to replace my RWAK.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #3,925 of 19,652
holy smokes, i feel like i am selling my DX50 then :D

seriously, great summary, i believe X5 will have to replace my DX50. and fingers crossed for Calyx M to replace my RWAK.

Your choice is interesting. I wouldn't go as far saying X5 replaces DX50 but Calyx might. If there is one player I thought you would wait for is either DX90 or X7. :wink:

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #3,926 of 19,652
Your choice is interesting. I wouldn't go as far saying X5 replaces DX50 but Calyx might. If there is one player I thought you would wait for is either DX90 or X7.
wink.gif

I would. I will go as far to say I won't miss a thing on DX50. Well, maybe the user replaceable battery but that's not that high on my list of must-have.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #3,927 of 19,652
The latest DX50 firmware (1.2.8) is getting great feedback - has anybody compared this to the X5?

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #3,928 of 19,652
  The latest DX50 firmware (1.2.8) is getting great feedback - has anybody compared this to the X5?

I did a brief A/B to my desktop amp using DX50 (1.2.8) LO and X5 LO because most people use DX50 as LO transport using HD800. I believe both LO is at 1.5Vrms. I have found that DX50 cannot match X5 in terms of layering and also bass cannot reach as deep as X5. The most obvious thing is that it does not have the depth that X5 has, meaning less 3D... just my humble opinion...

I am also a DX50 fans and will likely to upgrade to DX90 as soon as it is available on their website.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #3,929 of 19,652

I have my DX50 on 1.2.8. Can't say I notice much improvement over 1.2.7.

I did a brief A/B to my desktop amp using DX50 (1.2.8) LO and X5 LO because most people use DX50 as LO transport using HD800. I believe both LO is at 1.5Vrms. I have found that DX50 cannot match X5 in terms of layering and also bass cannot reach as deep as X5. The most obvious thing is that it does not have the depth that X5 has, meaning less 3D... just my humble opinion...

Similar sentiment here. X5 has some seriously dark background, probably a result of the high SNR.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,930 of 19,652
I would. I will go as far to say I won't miss a thing on DX50. Well, maybe the user replaceable battery but that's not that high on my list of must-have.

whats your impressions on dx50 to AK,HFM daps(SQ,SS etc just pertains to sound)? Just a reply of a line or two is fair enough to hear.....im sorry if its been replied here or on ur iem site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back