The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 23, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3,511 of 19,652

Fair enough. If I were a database user, I would agree.

Remember though that us DX50 owners have gone through a fair bit of patience (and pain) of FW updates to be where we are now. The X5 is just released and in China only. FW fixes, like the DX50, is pretty darn likely one can assume.

True, and I really hope Fiio will add this in a future update. I'm in no bigger hurry to get a new DAP, but during the spring it will happen, so there's still plenty of time for things to happen.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #3,512 of 19,652
I like to use artist, album tag to browse music, and DX50 do that in propper way, just that, when you restart device then when you go back from 'Now Playing' screen DX go to the first tag info in artist or album view. For me it will be better to go step by step back, and remember the position in db. Also shuffle system on DX50 is werid, because it is combined with loop function. That means, that if you listen to one album and select shuffle, player will play that album endless. I really dont like that. If X5 will do that in, for me, right way, i am going to get one.  

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #3,513 of 19,652
I have always structured my folders in exactly that way so folder view gets it done just as well for me. If you throw those all into a genre folder, you get that as well. Would be nice if it showed an included jpg when a folder is browsed but not a big deal for me and probably something that will get sorted.

Thanks for the impressions guys.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #3,514 of 19,652
  Some quick observations about the X5:

1. Apparently some people are having problems with the media scanning and that will be fixed in the next X5 firmware update. However, I have 64 GB of Lame 320 CBR MP3s on a Samsung 64GB microSDXC UHA-1 formatted to NTFS and the scan was remarkably fast and glitch free. 5000+ songs scanned in minutes and the numerical display showed them flying by. So maybe the answer is to buy a good card and format to NTFS.

Scan is indeed fast (surprising). I think the software is still trying to read files other than music files though.
Upon further testing (I use 2 microSD 64GB Sandisk cards -- work perfectly on the AK100 MK2 btw...) the library "hangs" on the microSD card containing MP3s. Primary card contains only FLAC files, something like 2400 files. Then the player "switches" to the Second slot checking for the library and it hangs at 6xxx. So I switched cards, the one that does contain MP3s to the first slot (SD1). This time it reached 42xx and it hanged. So it's definitely the contents of that microSD card... but I'm not sure exactly. If I'm bored enough tonight, I'll do some troubleshooting and maybe get to the bottom of this. I'm going to be looking for:

1) File Types
2) Long-ass file names
3) Special characters
4) Weird Spacing
5) Tags

I'm only having the player for a few days more so I'll see... I'll definitely wont commit to buying an X5 in the future yet... for now, the AK100 MK2 still holds first place just because I just load the cards, scan library with no problems and play all in shuffle... (I'm a simple guy! lol)

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,515 of 19,652

Scan is indeed fast (surprising). I think the software is still trying to read files other than music files though.
Upon further testing (I use 2 microSD 64GB Sandisk cards -- work perfectly on the AK100 MK2 btw...) the library "hangs" on the microSD card containing MP3s. Primary card contains only FLAC files, something like 2400 files. Then the player "switches" to the Second slot checking for the library and it hangs at 6xxx. So I switched cards, the one that does contain MP3s to the first slot (SD1). This time it reached 42xx and it hanged. So it's definitely the contents of that microSD card... but I'm not sure exactly. If I'm bored enough tonight, I'll do some troubleshooting and maybe get to the bottom of this. I'm going to be looking for:

1) File Types
2) Long-ass file names
3) Special characters
4) Weird Spacing
5) Tags

I'm only having the player for a few days more so I'll see... I'll definitely wont commit to buying an X5 in the future yet... for now, the AK100 MK2 still holds first place just because I just load the cards, scan library with no problems and play all in shuffle... (I'm a simple guy! lol)

No argument since I was just using one SD card. But since I Browse By Folder, I am impressed enough to intend to order another 64GB card tomorrow. The X5 is working for me with my ordinary usage.

Simple is good! I think of myself as fairly simple too. :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,516 of 19,652

No argument since I was just using one SD card. But since I Browse By Folder, I am impressed enough to intend to order another 64GB card tomorrow. The X5 is working for me with my ordinary usage.

Simple is good! I think of myself as fairly simple too. :)

Yup, I guess it will depend per user which is why I can't wait to see the impressions/reviews from everyone! :wink:
I got spoiled due to the long hours at work to listen through my whole library via Shuffle. Sometimes it's weird because I might be listening to Salsa and then a Death Metal song comes along (lol) but I'm used to this which is why I don't even touch my DAPs once I arrive at work! :wink:

But yeah, love that they implemented the 2 card thingie! For everyone that uses their player that way (i.e. Browse by Folder) without relying on the library, I cannot see why not getting this player. Provides plentiful power, provides very good sound, UI is more responsive than anything out there with the exception of Android players/Apple, etc. Overall, I can't find many "faults"!

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3,517 of 19,652
When using Browse by Folder and you have 2 cards present. Do you have to browse each card separate?

Also, when in Shuffle All, can you jump into the album of the currently playing song or does it generate a list of all the songs and you can only browse the shuffle list?

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,518 of 19,652
  When using Browse by Folder and you have 2 cards present. Do you have to browse each card separate?

Also, when in Shuffle All, can you jump into the album of the currently playing song or does it generate a list of all the songs and you can only browse the shuffle list?

Yes. It actually "asks" you first which card you want to access.
If you want to select another card just click the "back" button and it shows up again in the screen so that you can select the other card.

Cannot jump into the album as far as I know (unless there's another way to do it, just pressing back will get you to the whole "all songs" list).

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,521 of 19,652

1) File Types
2) Long-ass file names
3) Special characters
4) Weird Spacing
5) Tags

How is the SQ compared to AK100mk2?

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #3,522 of 19,652
How is the SQ compared to AK100mk2?

Interesting to say the least.
I find the AK100mk2 less energetic, even "muted" especially in the upper-mids/highs directly compared to the X5. "Soft" is a word I'm not afraid to use to describe it as a whole. I also find sub-bass performance to be lacking on the mk2 while the X5 is ready to "bring it"! Sound stage appears to be a bit wider as well. Bear in mind this was testing with 3 headphones: Alpha Dogs, Beyer T5ps and Perfect Sound Dido D901s. The only pairing I liked more with the MK2 than the X5 was with the Beyer T5p's. But definitely prefer the warm tilt of the X5 in the bass through mids than the "softness" overall of the MK2.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3,523 of 19,652
So has anyone tried out the USB DAC function that the X5 has? Is it possible to use it in a similar manner to something like the Fiio E17 where you can use it as a USB Amp/DAC or does it only do line out in USB mode.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #3,524 of 19,652
  So has anyone tried out the USB DAC function that the X5 has? Is it possible to use it in a similar manner to something like the Fiio E17 where you can use it as a USB Amp/DAC or does it only do line out in USB mode.

The X5 works great as a USB DAC/amp. No problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back