The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #6,481 of 17,481
That's funny - we have a different experience with the Momentum's on the X3.  I tend to find I need to decrease the bass, otherwise they often sound to muddy to me.  Out of curiosity, I tried adding an external amp into the mix (Meier Corda Quickstep) and and I was surprised that the Momentum seems to benefit from it here.  I have the over-ear Momentum's by the way.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #6,482 of 17,481
I have a dropbox link to the 2.1 FW
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d49q7vmdkhfeqjc/X3_FW2.1_EN.zip

Would that download any faster for people?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #6,485 of 17,481
Anyone try MDR-1Rs yet?

Its been difficult finding the right IEM for this. Been running GR07s and not very satisfied with them on the X3, overall. Great sounding device for full phones, but that sorta defeats the purpose.

Try Fischer Audio DB2 MKII. Excellent sound with FiiO.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #6,486 of 17,481
I have a dropbox link to the 2.1 FW
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d49q7vmdkhfeqjc/X3_FW2.1_EN.zip

Would that download any faster for people?

Thanks
smile.gif
It took only about 30 seconds to download from dropbox.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #6,487 of 17,481

we have improve the USB DAC so it is true after upgrading to the new firmware.

Hi James, I've had a problem with the USB DAC performance of the X3 on two different AMD systems (crackling noises), all works perfectly now with the new update, thanks for the quick fix. you guys are awesome.
beerchug.gif

The DAC sounds extremely nice, the X3 is a epic device overall and I'm sure the remaining GUI/file sorting issues will get resolved eventually. Way to go James and the rest of the Fiio team, I'm really impressed with your willingness to listen to people's needs/wishes and actually fixing problems and implementing new features. Thanks again.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #6,488 of 17,481
  This is really strange. I downloaded the new firmware, which took a lot longer than usual, unzipped it, transferred it to the same card i have done all my previous firmware updates with, inserted the card into my X3, the same as always, and it keeps saying update file not found. I put the card back in my PC and the file is definitely there, when I look when the card is in the X3 it shows that the file is there. I haven't had any problems doing the updates previously in the exact same way, and I have done all the firmware updates along the way. Any thoughts?

I am having the same problem.  I have formatted the SD card to FAT32, downloaded the file and opened it with WinZip.  Copied the file to the SD card, inserted the card in the X3 and tried to upgrade.  I've tried this at least a dozen times and have received the same message as good sound.  Unlike good sound, I have never tried a FW update before receiving the X3 yesterday, so all this is new to me.  One question, should the whole downloaded folder be copied to the SD card, or only the file?

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #6,490 of 17,481

I am having the same problem.  I have formatted the SD card to FAT32, downloaded the file and opened it with WinZip.  Copied the file to the SD card, inserted the card in the X3 and tried to upgrade.  I've tried this at least a dozen times and have received the same message as good sound.  Unlike good sound, I have never tried a FW update before receiving the X3 yesterday, so all this is new to me.  One question, should the whole downloaded folder be copied to the SD card, or only the file?

You only need to copy the x3.fw file to the root folder of the sd card.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #6,491 of 17,481
There's also that mp3 thing that Marlene was talking about. Dunno if that was addressed, as I use flac.

Marlene can answer that herself 
gs1000.gif

No, it wasn´t adressed. The X3 decodes lossy formats still as horrible (sorry, but that´s what it is) as before, including wrong bit depths, phase distortions, warble on OGG and general decoding errors on MP3.

Total harmonic distortions, FiiO X3, FW 2.10

Though I´m sure that all of these errors will be rectified so I´m patient.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #6,492 of 17,481
  No, it wasn´t adressed. The X3 decodes lossy formats still as horrible (sorry, but that´s what it is) as before, including wrong bit depths, phase distortions, warble on OGG and general decoding errors on MP3.

Though I´m sure that all of these errors will be rectified so I´m patient.

Thanks for the heads-up. Crossing my fingers for the next release...

Even though it might possibly sound fantastic with flac, it's somewhat embarrassing that the X3 sounds worse than my smartphone with mp3.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #6,493 of 17,481
Anyone interested in FW2.1 with a modified theme?
I replaced theme 2 with a modified version of theme 1. Nothing special, just nice clean all black backgrounds throughout. Text and icon colors are the same as the original theme 1, but the battery charging animation (shown when charging with the device powered off) was modified to 'Fiio red' rather then the standard green...

http://gruffalo.mooo.com/web/fiio/X3_FW2.1-modified-Coop.zip

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #6,494 of 17,481
I'm usually the ****** making fun of people using hirez files on portable daps saying that I never heard a difference that would matter when commuting.
but then the X3 has been the first to make me feel like my flac file was not just a little different, but really better than the same thing in mp3. but I couldn't put a finger on it and just decided to get less albums and use flac on the x3.

Marlene brought an explanation that comforts me into thinking I didn't go mad. so I guess it's all for the best. but am I really able to hear this level of distortions?

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #6,495 of 17,481

Even though it might possibly sound fantastic with flac, it's somewhat embarrassing that the X3 sounds worse than my smartphone with mp3.

I agree.

I'm usually the ****** making fun of people using hirez files on portable daps saying that I never heard a difference that would matter when commuting.
but then the X3 has been the first to make me feel like my flac file was not just a little different, but really better than the same thing in mp3. but I couldn't put a finger on it and just decided to get less albums and use flac on the x3.

Marlene brought an explanation that comforts me into thinking I didn't go mad. so I guess it's all for the best. but am I really able to hear this level of distortions?

The audibility... let´s see... MP3 as decoded by the X3 has distortions up to -80 dB at a frequency area where our ears are most susceptible. Considering RMS levels that should be roughly at -50 dB. And this is only with a single 1 kHz sine having a level of -6 dB. With normal music it should indeed be audible. The least it (hopefully) would do, would be changing the sonic character of the MP3 file you´re playing.

Secondly, all lossy codecs as decoded by the X3 show a severe phase error / distortion (except AAC). Sadly, I´m unable to find studies dealing with audibility of phase errors so I can´t say for sure if they´re audible or not.

So I´d conclude that you didn´t go mad 
beerchug.gif

BTW, the DAC sounds indeed very good. THIS was very well done, FiiO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back