The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 3, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #6,152 of 17,481
I was actually hoping for special micro USB cables that are angled or something, to solve the problem of the messy desktop. I have known of some but not of the micro USB type.

Do you mean like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-feet-Micro-USB-Cable/dp/B003YKX6WC

I actually have one of those, and it works fine. The bend may be in the wrong direction for your purposes, though. This one may be better (which, it turns out, is the one I actually have - I thought the picture was inaccurate at first)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003YKX6W2

The first one should put the cable along the bottom of the X3, the second makes it stick out the side...

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #6,153 of 17,481
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-oct-28th-2013-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/1530#post_9946116

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #6,156 of 17,481
I just realized that the bass and treble controls have no effect on the sound through the line out on firmware 2.05.  I could have sworn they worked through line out previously. 

Can anyone confirm? 

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #6,159 of 17,481
  This article should be required reading on Head-Fi. I don't think he gives enough emphasis to the "different sources" theory for perceived differences. I am willing to bet in many if not most cases, when people say they prefer high bitrate, they are comparing a CD or similar to a high bit download. The masters are almost guaranteed to be different. To really compare you would need to take the high bit file as a source and then down convert (being very careful that your down-conversion is being done properly).

Anyway, you will notice that the number one item he recommends for better sound is "buy better headphones" 
bigsmile_face.gif

That's a good article. The debate about HD audio often misses out entirely about the different masters an remasters. For example on Hybrid SACD, often the CD layer is just an old CD master from the 1980's.

The main reason why I get HD audio is because so many of my favourite classic albums are now getting remastered into HD, and chances are, this will be the final version ever digitised from tape. The analog master tapes have deteriorated, and the music industry is fading away.

So now, if there is an option to pay $25 to buy a 16bit/44.1kHz CD, or $17 to buy 24bit/96kHz HD download, I would happily take the HD download. Storage is not a big issue anyway.

Many people including myself have seen the horrible A/D conversion they did back in the 1980's CDs, with a rubbish 14bit AD converter with DIY noisy filters. It's nice to buy new remasters of these old classic albums where mastering engineers finally have the software and tools so advanced that we don't have to think about digitising artefacts.

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #6,160 of 17,481
hi guys, with the new firmware I was wondering if I can use the X3 as just a DAC in the following manner: laptop -> X3 (DAC) -> integrated amp -> passive speakers. Basically, my intention is to be able to play music on my laptop through my floorstanding speakers (connected to an integrated amp). I was hoping to use a cheap standard 3.5mm - RCA cable to connect the X3 line out to my integrated amp RCA inputs.... would this work? 

Thanks, 
J.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #6,163 of 17,481
  I just realized that the bass and treble controls have no effect on the sound through the line out on firmware 2.05.  I could have sworn they worked through line out previously. 

Can anyone confirm? 

I was never able to adjust bass/treble through lineout even before the update.  That was the first thing I tested, because I used line out to my amp, trying to get more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back