So is it confirmed that the x3 won't play if the card is as follows :-

Artist
Album
Song
?

Thanks

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,891 of 17,480
Quote:
I'm having an interesting problem with  a 64GB sandisk Ultra card, loaded with close to the 59GB limit with music. 
After the update Lib, the files show up in Browse files but are unplayable. 
They play fine on my Z2 but on the X2, the music comes off as unrecognizable file formats.
The formats are a combination of FLAC, MP3 variable, and MP3 CBR's.

After switching out to a 32GB card, with the same types of files, and running update Lib, everything works fine. 

Does it not like the Ultra card or are others seeing the same problem with big cards?

I had the same problem at first, even though I had formatted the card to FAT32 using Linux Mint's Disks utility. Turns out it was formatted a bit strangely as there was a rather large gap of a few hundred Megabytes of unallocated space before the first partition. I used GParted (which could also be run from a live CD) to delete that partition, then create a new one using FAT32. Everything's been working fine since then.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #3,893 of 17,480
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, however im still a little confused...

The original recordings are all gapless if played on a cd player, however there could be say 14 tracks on the album which are mixed together to make one continuous album of say 70 mins (no gaps). Would ripping this to flac just not be exactly the same as would it not merely 'duplicate' the cd?

Im not ofe with tags etc and fail to understand how the gaps or blanks could then be inserted

Thanks

Ripping your 70 minute mix CD to FLAC would absolutely result in 14 separate FLAC files that would play gapless in WinAmp, Foobar, almost any iPod, any Sansa Clip with Rockbox on it.  Unlike mp3, FLAC is a gapless format by design. 

However, with most Chinese DAPs (99.9% of them in experience), the system design/firmware for some reason will insert a gap between each track on playback.  I've never fully understood why that is, and it is incomprehisble to me why anyone would design a player that cannot play all FLACs gapless (and preferably mp3 and every other format as well). In the case of the X3, it is because the entire playback system is dependent on the ID3 tags in the FLAC files.

The X3 will play your mix CD gapless, as long as the software you use to rip the disc tags the FLAC files in the process.  If it doesn't, you could add them manually in Foobar and many other programs.  It's not really a big deal if you have only a few albums that require gapless playback.  Tagging just a few albums is neither difficult nor time consuming.  However, if you have a massvie 3TB library of live recordings, it's a monumental task. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #3,894 of 17,480
After properly formatting to fat32 with the GUI utility my SanDisk Ultra 64gb (part#SDSDQUA-064G-A11A) has had no issues with the X3 in terms of the flac and mp3 files folders (music-4 subfolders-artist-album-song) being indexed, read, played, album art displayed.  The x3 also seems to read the card quickly (have it set to auto).

I don't know if there are inconsistencies with the SD cards but I got this one new from Newegg and it has performed well and gotten along with the X3.  After reading about the problems others were having I did make sure I had everything properly tagged using Foobar and mp3tag. 

FWIW anyway. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #3,896 of 17,480
Quote:
What do you mean? It's not worth it now?

Oh that's not what I'm saying at all. I owned the UHA4 before they changed it and I thought that was a good slim amp. However now you can request a certain opamp when you buy it so the UHA4 I owned back then will probably sound different than it is now. I'm sure it is still good.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3,898 of 17,480
Anyone know where to get the black skins in the US?

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3,900 of 17,480

Users who are viewing this thread

Back