The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,592 of 17,481
Wow, the screen is bigger than I expected. An inch less would be okay for me too.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #1,595 of 17,481
I did a very quick comparison of the two (headphone was my CIEMs JH10X3)
The X3 has a warmer and fuller sound, and has a bit more mid-bass.
The Clip Zip is thinner and brighter which makes details more apparent, but the details are also there from the X3.

Soundstaging is similar.

Gapless doesn't work. Upon reading the manual, it seems to me gapless is only supported if there's a cue sheet. I think we need JamesFiio to clarify.

Quote:
How does it compare with Clip+?
Can you do a quick video of the UI?
Thank you

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #1,596 of 17,481
Quote:
The Clip Zip is thinner and brighter which makes details more apparent, but the details are also there from the X3.

Soundstaging is similar.

No surprise that Fiio X3 sounds better than Clip Zip.

I guess the more interesting question here: does X3 sound better than Colorfly C3 with & without C&C BH Portable Headphone AMP ?

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #1,598 of 17,481
Quote:

Soundstaging is similar.

Gapless doesn't work. Upon reading the manual, it seems to me gapless is only supported if there's a cue sheet. I think we need JamesFiio to clarify.

This is all disappointing to read. It doesn't sound like the X3 is a large enough improvement over my Fuze to warrant the extra outlay, especially considering that I don't have anything the Fuze can't drive. Lack of gapless without a cue sheet pretty much clinches the deal.

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,599 of 17,481
Quote:
This is all disappointing to read. It doesn't sound like the X3 is a large enough improvement over my Fuze to warrant the extra outlay, especially considering that I don't have anything the Fuze can't drive. Lack of gapless without a cue sheet pretty much clinches the deal.

Don't worry - the cogs of the hype machine will still be oiled by many. 'Tis the law of headfi.

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,600 of 17,481
Isn't the fuse at the same level as the clip zip? Or is it better?

I got the impression that the x3 was miles ahead of the clip zip and was better for more high end earphones. It's got the internals of an e17 hasn't it? Bit more upmarket than Sansa products?

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,602 of 17,481
I really like everything that I've seen and read about the x3. I find the features too compelling to pass on. If the x3 is able to power my hd650 to passable levels in a pinch when I won't to listen in the bedroom, then it will be a keeper for me. 

The fact that I can also use it as a source in my car via 3.5 cable is just a bonus in a long line of very nice specs. 
size]

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,603 of 17,481
Okay, gapless playback not working worries me a bit. But maybe it was the files fault....that is possible, right?

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,604 of 17,481
Quote:
Isn't the fuse at the same level as the clip zip? Or is it better?

I got the impression that the x3 was miles ahead of the clip zip and was better for more high end earphones. It's got the internals of an e17 hasn't it? Bit more upmarket than Sansa products?

Based on Pekingduck's description, it doesn't sound like the X3 will be worthwhile upgrade for me, as the description doesn't sound like a massive improvement. I had previously been pretty excited about the X3 with plans to pick it up as soon as it started shipping in the US, but until I get something more difficult to drive than the PSB M4U 1, I think the Fuze is more than adequate for my portable requirements. It drives the M4U very well, and I would put the SQ about 85% of my iBasso D7, which is perfectly acceptable for portable use. If I get the impression that the X3 is an improvement over the D7, I might change my mind, but I haven't read anything to indicate that the E17 is any better or worse than the D7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back