The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 22, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #17,416 of 17,481
Two things. Okay, three.
1. In two years, I will have had my first gen X3 for TEN years. Doesn't seem like that long. It's held up without a hiccup.
2. I was surprised after I switched for fun to firmware 2.1 and back to 3.4 that my "existing playlist" was retained in firmware 3.4. That was cool.
3. I bought FiiO's FD1 earbuds, and they sound excellent with the X3 with firmware 3.4. (Playing FLAC, bass 2 and treble 0). And they're very comfortable. I'd never had those loop-over-the-ear style earbuds. They're 32 ohm, only $60.
I used to fiddle with firmware. When the X3 first came out, memory was expensive. So using OTG for additional memory was a big deal. Somewhere along the way this feature was officially excluded after being included. Later FIIO claimed it never supported OTG which was simply not true.

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #17,417 of 17,481
Well, it still seems to handle over 10,000 songs.

Attachments

• 2022-08-12-153516_1920x1080_scrot.png
    2022-08-12-153516_1920x1080_scrot.png
    636.6 KB · Views: 0
Aug 12, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #17,419 of 17,481
How long did it take to index? After using my more "modern" players, I forgot how slow the X3 was building the database
I got board of waiting for the blank screen to end up stating the number that it briefly shows for a few seconds. I recorded a video with my camera and got this frame at 12 minutes in :D

Not fast - but - it never needs this update doing. In fact, every time i add any file at all and unmount it, it is always there. It took me a while to realize this after I bought it and I'm unsure why it is even needed as most of the music i put on i never even bother updating it as it isn't necessary.

I just now have the alphabet split in to 5 folders to brows the files to make navigation easier. I myself don't want to upgrade and would rather buy another one second hand if it gives up. It works great for playing music with no distractions. I don't care about the navigation as i like buttons and i usually just listen in folder order anyway.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #17,420 of 17,481
Just listened to some stereo stuff in the truck, and it sounded great. Then I got home and I thought, "Wait, did I turn the equalizer to custom, zero'd out?" I hadn't had it on at all. But I know that mono stuff (early Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry) sounded excellent with that equalizer-on thing suggested pages back.
So maybe that's what I'll do... stereo - equalizer off, mono - equalizer on.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #17,421 of 17,481
I wonder if someone can help me out on this one: I had been running my X3 as a dac from my win10 computer up until y'day when I did a clean install on the operating system. It is still win10 but the X3 dac won't work. When I hook it up to the computer, the dac interface shows up for a few seconds on the player's screen then it reverts back to the regular menu.

Both Foobar and JRiver refuses to recognize the dac and give me error messages when I try to play back music. Any ideas?

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #17,422 of 17,481
I wonder if someone can help me out on this one: I had been running my X3 as a dac from my win10 computer up until y'day when I did a clean install on the operating system. It is still win10 but the X3 dac won't work. When I hook it up to the computer, the dac interface shows up for a few seconds on the player's screen then it reverts back to the regular menu.

Both Foobar and JRiver refuses to recognize the dac and give me error messages when I try to play back music. Any ideas?
Did you try installing the Fiio drivers? I've never had any luck using the stock MS usb2 audio drivers on any of my players

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #17,423 of 17,481
Did you try installing the Fiio drivers? I've never had any luck using the stock MS usb2 audio drivers on any of my players
Yup, I have only been using the X3 with the driver. Before it was working but now it is not...

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #17,424 of 17,481
Yup, I have only been using the X3 with the driver. Before it was working but now it is not...
I dunno. Been ages since I've plugged mine into my Windows laptops (oddly enough, I just did a clean install last week too). Maybe try a different USB cable. As a last resort maybe re-flash the firmware

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #17,426 of 17,481
Check the device manager and see if there are any errors (or if the X3 even shows up at all). You might need to reinstall the drivers with signature enforcement disabled. I had this problem with my Topping DAC. The install appeared to be be successful, but the d30 wouldn't work at all. I had to uninstall the drivers and redo it after booting with enforcement disabled

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #17,427 of 17,481
Firmware 3.4 is installed. In the device manager the fiio device shows up with a green triangle and with an exclamation point in it. Done the signature enforcement in gpedit.msc - no changes. Tried numerous USB cables, with the same result. Reinstalled the driver with administrator privileges just for the hell of it. Still o change. Any ideas?

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #17,428 of 17,481
Correction: the device only shows up in the device manager for a few seconds, as long as I can see the dac display on my X3. I even tried to play back music during that few seconds long window but both JRiver and Foobar gave me an error message. Bummer!

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #17,429 of 17,481
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #17,430 of 17,481
If the X3 doesn't show up long enough in the device manager to check for errors, then I'm stumped.
Are you using the same version of Win 10 you had before?

I've never used gpedit to disable signature enforcement, always the boot method <option one>, so I'm not sure if they work the same way.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...river-signature-enforcement-windows-10-a.html
Actually I use windows 10 Pro N this time, while before it was windows 10 Pro. Anyhow. I'm about to throw my hands up. Thanks for the input though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back