The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #13,261 of 17,481
Using the E12 with my X3 I'm able to drive any of my headphones with ease and to me the X3 sounds more dynamic when running through the E12 Mont Blanc. Also, with the amp connected via Line Out it allows more battery life from your X3. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #13,262 of 17,481
I also feel that the E12 improves the sound from the X3 with full sized cans and the Cayin C5 certainly does it with everything.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #13,264 of 17,481
  Just curious.

:wink:

I like the X3 a lot.  I've owned a handful of MP3 players (starting with the Diamond Rio PMP 300).  I've never seen a better interface than the iPod classic, and that includes the new touchscreen iPods/iPhones.

I'm poking around for a good deal on a 128GB card.  I have an unused 64GB card, but I'd rather sell it and go bigger...so spendy!

If Fiio added a true EQ, I'd be very happy.  I could use a ~1-2db bump around 20hz on my Sennheiser HD 558's (or a tip on a set of closed cans that are better in every way than the 558's).

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #13,265 of 17,481
 Just curious.

:wink:

I like the X3 a lot.  I've owned a handful of MP3 players (starting with the Diamond Rio PMP 300).  I've never seen a better interface than the iPod classic, and that includes the new touchscreen iPods/iPhones.

I'm poking around for a good deal on a 128GB card.  I have an unused 64GB card, but I'd rather sell it and go bigger...so spendy!

If Fiio added a true EQ, I'd be very happy.  I could use a ~1-2db bump around 20hz on my Sennheiser HD 558's (or a tip on a set of closed cans that are better in every way than the 558's).

It's a shame fiio didn't keep to their word from last year saying in 2014 they will implement Eq

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #13,266 of 17,481
  I just got my Fiio X3 to replace a COWON C2 and I wish I would have done it sooner!  I'm not certain I can hear a difference (perhaps, but could be placebo) but the interface improvement is worth it all day long.

I do wonder though, would I have been better with a iPod Classic + Amp using ALAC vs the X3 with FLAC.  I think I made the right choice, but nothing touches the iPod classic UI. So great.

I also recently got a pair of Sennheiser 558's (Foam strip removed).  I was impressed by the sound quality and comfort....oh man are these comfortable.  I also have a pair of M50's and I'm trying to decide if I'd be better keeping both (always need a set of closed cans) or if I'd be better with another ~$300 set of closed headphones to replace both...

I have also owned a cowon c2 before my x3. 
yes, it is a huge improvement. i think, the biggest one in sq... but you need a good headphone or IEM (and amp) to hear it.

UI is also better, but far not the best. thats why you like your ipod's UI more. but let me assure you, sq wise you made the right decision.

those are not bad headphones. but i would go for a better closed one, as you mentioned. (maybe a momentum over ear) if you want a closed one.
i use hd600 for home listening (very opened) :) and an iem on the go... 

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #13,268 of 17,481
Not that I need to use the DAC function on the FiiO X3... but when I plug it in with the dac function, it says 0khz/24bit and not recognized by my computer. However I can still use the storage function... My guess is that the X3 has to be 100% charged for the DAC to function... I don't know, but it seems like I'm just left with an overpriced X1 if the DAC function doesn't work.

if you want to notice the huge difference between ipod & x3 in the sound quality ... try x3 with the stock apple ear buds !!! ... it is sooo noticeable 

Which iPod are we talking about? I heard the iPods (never owned an iPod/iPhone) have a pretty good chip in them.

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #13,269 of 17,481
  Not that I need to use the DAC function on the FiiO X3... but when I plug it in with the dac function, it says 0khz/24bit and not recognized by my computer. However I can still use the storage function... My guess is that the X3 has to be 100% charged for the DAC to function... I don't know, but it seems like I'm just left with an overpriced X1 if the DAC function doesn't work.

Which iPod are we talking about? I heard the iPods (never owned an iPod/iPhone) have a pretty good chip in them.

I've owned a couple iPod classics and 2 iPod touches with decent IEMs and there is no comparison between those and the X3. To me the X3 is so much better sounding there is no comparison. maybe the ipods would sound better with an amp but unamped they sound dull and lifeless. I own the X1 too and I personally find the X3 to have better sound. Not so drastic a difference between the X3 and ipods but a difference just the same. Maybe my ears jsut prefer the X3 but it definitely sounds warmer than the X1 and has more power.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #13,270 of 17,481

If you are poking around for a good deal you should be warned that there are many opportunities to buy fake 128 GB cards. So far Sandisk is the only manufacturer of 128 GB microSDXC cards and buying from Amazon and NOT an Amazon reseller is pretty safe. Good luck with your search.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #13,271 of 17,481
Nec3 said:

I am talking about nearly any ipod ( i owned many of them before : classic 6th 80gb , 6th 160gb ,touch 4th 16gb & the 5th 30 ipod video )
they all sound the same to me but the ipod video 5th gen frankly is slightly better than them all when rock boxed ... but never compared to Fiio X3 ....

last time when i was with my friends .. i tried my friend's ear buds that came with his ipad 1 ... the normal stock apple ear buds .... amazed by how they sounded full and enjoyable with x3 

There is something i hate in ipod's sound ... i hate its sound ... even i can differentiate it easily with a blind test ... sort of dry and lifeless sound ..even when amped with FIIO E11 ... it still the same sound didn't notice any change in sound except the slightly warmer and slightly heavier bass

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #13,272 of 17,481

If you are poking around for a good deal you should be warned that there are many opportunities to buy fake 128 GB cards. So far Sandisk is the only manufacturer of 128 GB microSDXC cards and buying from Amazon and NOT an Amazon reseller is pretty safe. Good luck with your search.

The very first thing I'd do is fill it with completely with FLAC from my PC, so I'll if it is fake, I'd find out right away. But I plan to stick to Sandisk. Just so spendy!

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #13,273 of 17,481
I finally tried 3.21b and gapless playback doesn't work like it's supposed to =(

I was listening to live recording MP3 encoded with lame at V1 or V0

EDIT: I tried 3.2 and had no issues with gapless playback there (with the same files).

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #13,274 of 17,481
I am talking about nearly any ipod ( i owned many of them before : classic 6th 80gb , 6th 160gb ,touch 4th 16gb & the 5th 30 ipod video )

they all sound the same to me but the ipod video 5th gen frankly is slightly better than them all when rock boxed ... but never compared to Fiio X3 ....

last time when i was with my friends .. i tried my friend's ear buds that came with his ipad 1 ... the normal stock apple ear buds .... amazed by how they sounded full and enjoyable with x3 

There is something i hate in ipod's sound ... i hate its sound ... even i can differentiate it easily with a blind test ... sort of dry and lifeless sound ..even when amped with FIIO E11 ... it still the same sound didn't notice any change in sound except the slightly warmer and slightly heavier bass

Agreed 100% on the sound of the iPods. For me the FiiO DAPs really are so much more 'alive' than an iPod.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #13,275 of 17,481

I've owned a couple iPod classics and 2 iPod touches with decent IEMs and there is no comparison between those and the X3. To me the X3 is so much better sounding there is no comparison. maybe the ipods would sound better with an amp but unamped they sound dull and lifeless. I own the X1 too and I personally find the X3 to have better sound. Not so drastic a difference between the X3 and ipods but a difference just the same. Maybe my ears jsut prefer the X3 but it definitely sounds warmer than the X1 and has more power.

I have both the X5 and X3. I kept my rockboxed 5.5 gen iPod Video for nostalgia. Having said that I still use it from time to time paired with my NAD Viso HP50's or DUNU DN-1000 as the implementation of Wolfson WM87588G DAC on this model is not too shabby at all. Nice warm sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back