The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #16,771 of 17,481
  Hello folks

I'm visiting Japan in two weeks, and i´m planning to upgrade my X3 for some player "made in Japan", in the range of 300 usd..

any recomendation??

Regards
Gonzalo

Sony A20 series, check it out, i had the older generation the A10 and it ounded quite good for the size

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #16,773 of 17,481
I really like the 3.4 final firmware. It sounds much clearer and reminds me of a Denon DL304 cartridge that I used to own. The treble had filigree detail that made steel strings steely and cymbals shimmer.

I thought initially that the bass was worse but it's not. It's less "phat" and more tuneful but definitely there. You can clearly tell whether it's say electric or acoustic bass with the latter having texture.

It's a step up.

Cheers,

Steve

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #16,774 of 17,481
  I really like the 3.4 final firmware. It sounds much clearer and reminds me of a Denon DL304 cartridge that I used to own. The treble had filigree detail that made steel strings steely and cymbals shimmer.

I thought initially that the bass was worse but it's not. It's less "phat" and more tuneful but definitely there. You can clearly tell whether it's say electric or acoustic bass with the latter having texture.

It's a step up.

Cheers,

Steve

Couldn't agree more with this.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #16,775 of 17,481
Which newer Fiio would anyone recommend to a BASS loving X3 user? I can tolerate the 3.4 firmware, but only with bass +6(max) on the EQ along with +10 on the hardware bass portion of the X3.  

I guess I like the potential spaciousness of a better player, but fear the loss of power on the low end.  I want to FEEL the bottom end.  

Is there a Fiio player I would be happy with?

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #16,776 of 17,481
  Which newer Fiio would anyone recommend to a BASS loving X3 user? I can tolerate the 3.4 firmware, but only with bass +6(max) on the EQ along with +10 on the hardware bass portion of the X3.  

I guess I like the potential spaciousness of a better player, but fear the loss of power on the low end.  I want to FEEL the bottom end.  

You might be better off upgrading to basshead iems though, as the effect will be greater there. If you need to max out the bass on the X3, clearly your current iem isn't bassy enough.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #16,777 of 17,481

Get bass heavy IEMs. I'm very happy with Dunu DN-1000 in that regard. With the X3 I use Bass +8 from the hardware EQ. No software EQ for obvious reasons.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #16,782 of 17,481
Get bass heavy IEMs. I'm very happy with Dunu DN-1000 in that regard. With the X3 I use Bass +8 from the hardware EQ. No software EQ for obvious reasons.

Is one of the reasons you don't like the software EQ because of the volume drop? As the metal EQ looks like nothing has been adjusted, try switching from that to the custom one with 62hz set to +6. I do have very bass light headphones and the difference is quite noticeable. Play some music that you are very familiar with and swich between metal and custom with +6 on 62hz. I will be quite Surprising if you can't tell any difference. I would be interested what your reasons are for not using it. I find it useful a lot of the time.

Is boosts the lower end of the bass. Deeper that the hardware EQ. The difference isn't as noticeable. +6 in the software EQ to me seems to be about the same as +3 in the hardware EQ.

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #16,783 of 17,481
Does anyone else have problems with updating the media library after upgrading to FW 3.4?

The media library update just keeps going. Counter runs up to 20K+ while there are only 4K-ish files on the player/card. By then I am fed up with waiting and push the back button. the player then hangs. After pressing the reset button, the player works again, but library update still has the same issue. I already tried deleting the database files, but the same thing happens.
Scanned the card for corrupted files, deleted anything that *could* be corrupted. Deleted the database files again, and performed the scan again, same thing happens...

FYI, I use a Lexar 64GB MicroSDXC card (uhs1/class10), until upgrading the X# FW to 3.4 I never had issues with it (my previous FW was 3.34B). 

Any ideas?

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #16,784 of 17,481
  Does anyone else have problems with updating the media library after upgrading to FW 3.4?

The media library update just keeps going. Counter runs up to 20K+ while there are only 4K-ish files on the player/card. By then I am fed up with waiting and push the back button. the player then hangs. After pressing the reset button, the player works again, but library update still has the same issue. I already tried deleting the database files, but the same thing happens.
Scanned the card for corrupted files, deleted anything that *could* be corrupted. Deleted the database files again, and performed the scan again, same thing happens...

FYI, I use a Lexar 64GB MicroSDXC card (uhs1/class10), until upgrading the X# FW to 3.4 I never had issues with it (my previous FW was 3.34B). 

Any ideas?

I have a Phillips 64gb card and I swapped it and then replaced it with pretty much the same Lexar one you have mentioned. I fund that to be very slow for when I updated the media library. However, I went back to my Phillips card and it is fine now and 3.4 doesn't seem to have changed much when it is updating. The only think that has changed is I don't always get to see it count all the way up to the total number of songs. I just get the number at the end and now counting up at times. That often is the case when it has counted roughly half of what I have.

It never says I have more than I actually do though.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #16,785 of 17,481
Once I had an update seem to hang. Like Hogweed mentioned the updates run and then kinda blanks out (still running but doesn't show any numbers). I just left it and it eventually finished. I only have about 4500 tracks on my 128gb card so it's possible 20k+ could take a while (or possibly beyond the db limit - anybody remember what it is supposed to be now)

oops, nevermind the 20k part. Just re-read and seen you only got 4k. Check your tags too. Sometimes non-standard tags can cause updating probs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back